3800 swap good buy?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

shemdogg

3800 swap good buy?

Post by shemdogg »

Hi everybody,

I found this on CL and am wondering if you think its a good buy and what things to look for when I go look at it. Heres the ad below

EDIT: Was asking $6000, then went down to $3000.
New price is $2500

I have a 3800 Supercharged Pontiac Fiero with T-Tops for sale.
This swap alone cost $10,000 but due to health problems, I have to get rid of it.

I have this rare T-Top swapped car priced cheaper than any other stock non T-Top Fiero in the Bay Area to get it sold faster.

With the car weighing only 2500 pounds with a full interior, 3800 swapped Fieros with a cheap eBay turbo kit have gone 9 seconds in the quarter mile.

https://youtu.be/wDccYFa_kxI

Now is the chance for you to get a car that can beat a million dollar Bugatti Veyron in a quarter mile for less than $5,000. It would also be perfect for a kit car project and it would give the car the performance to match the kit car's looks. My loss is your gain.

Car: 1986 T-Top Pontiac Fiero

Engine: 3.8L 3800 Supercharged Series II L67 - Ported M90 Supercharger - ZZPerformance XPZ cam - Ported Stock Heads with Machined Valve Guides - 150 Pound Valve Springs - LS7 Lifters - 7.00" Chromoly Pushrods - Rollmaster Double Timing Chain - LQ4 MAF - Northstar Throttle Body - e85 and 91 octane Tune

Transmission: 4T65E HD

Mounts and Bushings: Fiero Store Polyurethane everywhere

Exhaust: Fiero Store custom exhaust

Suspension: Fiero Store Coilovers

Brakes: Fiero Store Drilled and Slotted Rotors with ceramic pads

Wheels: Enkei clones on Drag Radials

----
What should I be checking for? He said it rund but needs a tune up and should be towed. What about emission stuff im in california

thanks
shem
jelly2m81

Re: 3800 swap good buy?

Post by jelly2m81 »

Do you have a link to the ad?

First no Fiero weighed 2500 pounds, I believe most V6 models are in the 2800 pound range, add a 3800 and it's transmission that weight rises.

I would be concerned about it being a T-top swapped car, how well are they installed? What condition are the seals. As a T-Top owner and having other T-Top owners confide there are 2 types of T-Top Fiero's, those that leak and those that the owner won't leave out in the wet. If he claims the T-Tops don't leak, he's a liar.

A red flag is it should be towed. In the buying used car business if it doesn't run or drive assume the worst, it needs an engine. On to the swap it's self, how good is the install? It might be a hack job, many of them are.

Ideally you would want someone that's familiar with these cars and the swaps check it out, judging by the ad description it's a hacked up 86 Fiero that had little value to start with. Without seeing the car and reading the ad, 500 would be my top offer. It's a non running car.
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

Thanks jelly im most worried about the swap. The pipe dream is to get a kit car body for this. Im a decent wrench but no experience on fieros. Except for the 2 that caught fire lol. But those were 4 bangers lmao. Just dont want to have to pull the motor nd tranny sounds like a real pain. Looking for shortcuts and problems folks have had, obvious hack job things to look for.

shem
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Find out who did the wiring harness. If a home brew job it could be a huge headache figuring it all out. Or it could be a vender and you will prob be ok.

Finding out why it doesn't drive I important. Could be anything really based on that ad.