wheel offset change

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: wheel offset change

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Stay away from v8 V8Archie products.

Otherwise I would look at a 3800 or a 3900 vvt engine
Ditto to both. Rcheee's products are not well engineered and have several serious design flaws.
The 3800 V6 is almost bolt in with aftermarket brackets and the supercharged engines can top 300 RWHP easily. The 3500 & 3900 60 degree V6's are also very easy swaps. They top out a bit less than 300 RWHP naturally aspirated, though.
ericjon262 wrote: and I wouldn't even consider the 4.9 at all. good points on the N*, but I think the LS4 has one distinct advantage over the N*, I'd bet the LS4 would be way cheaper, for a comparable output, and has a way larger aftermarket available.

all that being said, I think a N* in a fiero is probably the best looking V8 in a fiero, and they sound/perform awesome.
With some relatively minor work on his LS4, FieroGuru made 380 RWHP, which is a number yet to be seen by a N/A Northstar in a FIero. So yeah, the LS4 definitely has the buildability advantage.
I'm aiming for 450 RWHP. I have the heads and intake to get me there figured out, but getting the cams to ice the cake will be fun.
FieroWanaBe1 wrote: I went with a remote mechanical pump because itsbmy belief electrical pumps are tailored towards drag racing, not track use. And the LS4 accessory drive is not even useable for my motor since I happened to get a LS3 dry sump system for a decent price.
Lol... that's a whole new level of futzing. I @$$ume that the LS4 drive wouldn't work because the dry sump timing cover bulges at the bottom to make room for the bigger oil pump.
FieroWanaBe1

Re: wheel offset change

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Lol... that's a whole new level of futzing. I @$$ume that the LS4 drive wouldn't work because the dry sump timing cover bulges at the bottom to make room for the bigger oil pump.
Yep thats exatcly the problem.
The vette FEAD is supposed to be the shortest of all the LS family outside of the LS4 though. So, we will see how it all lays out. The LS3 version if the dry sump has it's own unique problems of compatibily issues in the LS family. Mixed with the even more unubiquitous LS4 idiosyncrasies it will end up to be an oddball. Once i get the time to start bolting those parts together, ill see how much of a bad decision I made.
car.