wheel offset change

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

shemdogg

wheel offset change

Post by shemdogg »

Howdy all

I need to get different rims for my kit car, the current ones sit in too far for my taste. How do I measure the offset I need to order new wheels? I measure from the hub out and convert to mm? Theyre 16" and im going to 18" to get rid of that gap. I need to go out .75 on the rear and 2" on the front

shem
Attachments
f40home.jpg
f40home.jpg (125.79 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
ericjon262

Re: wheel offset change

Post by ericjon262 »

shemdogg wrote:Howdy all

I need to get different rims for my kit car, the current ones sit in too far for my taste. How do I measure the offset I need to order new wheels? I measure from the hub out and convert to mm? Theyre 16" and im going to 18" to get rid of that gap. I need to go out .75 on the rear and 2" on the front

shem

first, we need to know if your suspension is stock fiero, or some kind of kit to go with the body, second, what year is your car, 88's got different suspension components that the early cars, third, what is your target width?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/php-01201

Get one of those and measure the wheel size you need.

Stock suspension will accept C5 Corvette rear wheels in 18x9.5 on the early cars. I've verified this. Series8217 is running aftermarket 18x9.5's on his '88 Formula, but might be able to run 18x10. This is under stock bodywork.

With that in mind, add the extra width of your body kit relative to stock fenders to the outer lip of the wheel, adjust the offset accordingly and use the result as your starting point.
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

this things an 86 w stock suspension. Rear hub face to outside of fender is 8 5/8", front is 6 3/8 to outside of fender. I want to step up to 18s, the wheel well gap is yuuge w the 16"s. The right rims will make this thing look awesome. Ive been looking everywhere online but not finding anything w the dimensions I need. Id even run spacers if needed.

Thanks for the replies fellas

shem
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

what size and offset are your current wheels?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

If you're in Southern California, I have a Percy Wheelrite you can borrow. It's the tool Will linked to above.
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

Thanks buddy im in norcal tho. I kno a guy who may have one. Took a break from cutting up the car to pull a wheel and measure. The wheel is 11.5" wide and the offset is negative I think because from the outside edge to the wheel face is 5.5" then the wheel mounting to the car hub is 22mm thick about 3/4". Ive got tons of room in there for big wheels n tires :-D

shem
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

With that much rear fender, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting 335's+.

345/35-15's
335/35-17's
335/30-18's
345/30-19's
335/25-20's

Lots of options :wink: %)
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

Yeah I could definitely put some steamrollers out there but itd kill my acceleration. Original f40 had 315/40/16 out back. Im going for 275/40/18 to give me just a bit more diameter but im really trying to get the wheels outward more. Im in the process of chopping 2" off the front nose to curve it in more around the front of the tire and making new headlight bezels using the guts of the 300zx headlights that were in there. Probably going to drive it for the first time to smog it tomorrow hope it passes. And makes it there and back lol. Going to take it to a wheel shop and see what they have... pic to follow soon

shem
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If wide tires will kill your acceleration, you need a Northstar :wink:
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

Thats way down the road, Ive been looking at those V8Archie kits, looks like any work that needs doing requires the engine to be dropped. The v8 is way against the firewall. I got spoiled building my 66 mustang, lots o room everywhere except for those damn shock towers.

shem
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Stay away from v8 V8Archie products. I have seen them up close first hand. They are junk. His kit is sub par in nearly every way. His fiberglass work is also junk.

I have seen his turnkey cars up close and they are junk

I have seen how his turnkey cars perform at the track and dyno and they are junk,unless you consider high 13s for 15k dollars a good investment?

If you want a v8 go with a north star or an ls4. No 3k dollar pile o junk adapter kit needed as they both bolt to stock transmission if you want.

Otherwise I would look at a 3800 or a 3900 vvt engine
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

The ls4 sounds good but shoehorning that thing in the engine bay seems like a b%$#@! I took the car out for a drive today and to the smog station. My first time in a v6 fiero. Wow that things got some pep! I had a blast driving it. Failed the visual tho, needs a cat. Made an appt for monday for that. Cut way more fiberglass today, working on the nose now. The lines on the car look funny. And those bolt on cheap plexiglass rear quarter windows gotta go. Luv that 80s chevy interior smell lol. I had a 83 z28 in high school w the same smell inside, ahh memories. I got in so much trouble w that car :-D

shem
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

shemdogg wrote:The ls4 sounds good but shoehorning that thing in the engine bay seems like a b%$#@! I took the car out for a drive today and to the smog station. My first time in a v6 fiero. Wow that things got some pep! I had a blast driving it. Failed the visual tho, needs a cat. Made an appt for monday for that. Cut way more fiberglass today, working on the nose now. The lines on the car look funny. And those bolt on cheap plexiglass rear quarter windows gotta go. Luv that 80s chevy interior smell lol. I had a 83 z28 in high school w the same smell inside, ahh memories. I got in so much trouble w that car :-D

shem

the LS4 is probably the best fitting of all the V8's I would consider acceptable to install in a fiero.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:
shemdogg wrote:The ls4 sounds good but shoehorning that thing in the engine bay seems like a b%$#@! I took the car out for a drive today and to the smog station. My first time in a v6 fiero. Wow that things got some pep! I had a blast driving it. Failed the visual tho, needs a cat. Made an appt for monday for that. Cut way more fiberglass today, working on the nose now. The lines on the car look funny. And those bolt on cheap plexiglass rear quarter windows gotta go. Luv that 80s chevy interior smell lol. I had a 83 z28 in high school w the same smell inside, ahh memories. I got in so much trouble w that car :-D

shem

the LS4 is probably the best fitting of all the V8's I would consider acceptable to install in a fiero.
The LS4 waterpump housing requires a lot of "futzing" to fit without hitting the firewall and hinge box. The engine also requires a transmission mounted starter, which adds more futzing if not using the original automatic. Based on what I've seen, I think the Northstar is easier to install and a better fit. It does require trimming the right hinge box a bit and the chassis side dogbone mount a bit.

I cut the entire left face of my right hinge box out, but after installing the engine I see that was WAY too much. I have another hinge box to install. I'll cut that one much less. I'll definitely be able to keep the upper hinge stud, and maybe the lower as well.
Also, the chassis side dogbone mount only needs to be trimmed, not removed. I'll install a new one of those and trim to fit.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: the LS4 is probably the best fitting of all the V8's I would consider acceptable to install in a fiero.
Well really... the 4.9 is the best fitting, but nobody really cares about it.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Coolin ... ion-3.aspx

I bought one of these to reduce the total amount of futzing needed.
car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Not sure how that would reduce it... you then have to mount it, drive it, plumb it...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: the LS4 is probably the best fitting of all the V8's I would consider acceptable to install in a fiero.
Well really... the 4.9 is the best fitting, but nobody really cares about it.
and I wouldn't even consider the 4.9 at all. good points on the N*, but I think the LS4 has one distinct advantage over the N*, I'd bet the LS4 would be way cheaper, for a comparable output, and has a way larger aftermarket available.

all that being said, I think a N* in a fiero is probably the best looking V8 in a fiero, and they sound/perform awesome.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

There was, maybe still are cheaper sbc adapter plates out there.
To point out, Any decent swap requires cutting and welding of some sort. Otherwise a 3800 can be made bolt on with enough money. Even archies kit needs welding and cutting to fit, at any buy-in level.
I went with a remote mechanical pump because itsbmy belief electrical pumps are tailored towards drag racing, not track use. And the LS4 accessory drive is not even useable for my motor since I happened to get a LS3 dry sump system for a decent price.
car.