More dumb noob questions

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

shemdogg

More dumb noob questions

Post by shemdogg »

This should make u laugh,

1. Wheres the gas tank? I was laying under the car today looking for it. Followed the hose from the filler but it goes into the rear left wheel well.

2. What are those cut off metal pipes in the engine compartment? I have some on both sides of the motor. 2 come from whats looks like the lil trunk area behind the motor, others from the firewall. Maybe 5/8" tubing looks like metal heater hose

3. Where does the Ac compressor 2 wire plug plug into? Mines sitting loose and i looked and felt all over the unit looking for the tabs. On my old camaro it was behind the pulley

4. The rear dogbone motor mount thingie. Does it just connect to the one exh manifold bolt on the rear side of the motor? Mines cracked in 2 at the bolt and the motor moves quite a bit even by hand

5. whats the sensor on the tb under the tps?

Thanks in advance I dunno whats stock and whats been butchered on this car over the years

shem
FieroWanaBe1

Re: More dumb noob questions

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

1. Wheres the gas tank? I was laying under the car today looking for it. Followed the hose from the filler but it goes into the rear left wheel well.
It is in the center of the car. between the passenger and the driver, in the center tunnel, underneath the body/frame.
2. What are those cut off metal pipes in the engine compartment? I have some on both sides of the motor. 2 come from whats looks like the lil trunk area behind the motor, others from the firewall. Maybe 5/8" tubing looks like metal heater hose
Its a cooling fan and ducting for the alternator and coil.
3. Where does the Ac compressor 2 wire plug plug into? Mines sitting loose and i looked and felt all over the unit looking for the tabs. On my old camaro it was behind the pulley
It should plug into the compressor from the relay.
4. The rear dogbone motor mount thingie. Does it just connect to the one exh manifold bolt on the rear side of the motor? Mines cracked in 2 at the bolt and the motor moves quite a bit even by hand
if I remember correctly it mounts to the cylinder head on the "front" of the motor.
5. whats the sensor on the tb under the tps?
Idle air control valve
car.
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

U da man man! That motor mount bracket is totally loose and it is on a head bolt. Is there a beefier bracket avail?

thanks
Shem
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The dogbone bracket should bolt to the rear head with three or four bolts and have a brace that goes to the front head.
If yours only has one bracket with one bolt, you have a bunch of stuff missing or broken.
FieroWanaBe1

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEWS ... 1pCQlJDalE

Here are all the manuals I have copies of. Ill keep these up until the end of this month (April 2017) so download them if you want to keep them.
car.
shemdogg

Post by shemdogg »

Thanks again for sending those, I have a ton of reading to do! Got a new cat installed then went for smog. car passed visual, gas cap, tank test, and sniffer, but failed timing. They guy said my timing was at 36 degrees, I told him it wouldnt run that far either way. Car runs great so it cant be far off. Did some research and found diff ways of timing. Some say cap 1+4, some cap the coil wire, and the emission sticker(mines gone) says do 1 then 4 and divide by 2 to get 10btdc. I think dude didnt know what he was doing on a car this old. I was looking stuff up on my phone on the fly, like the aldl being mounted upside down lol. How do u guys do it? i bought a timing light but if I set #1 to 8 degrees then #4 is off the pointer to the left side of the motor when the light comes on.

I changed the dist o-ring, hoping that was the oil leak. When the motor gets hot it starts leaking. Couldnt see it leaking but there was a ton of oil puddled on the intake after driving to the exhaust shop.

Threw a new cap, coil, n wires on this morning but still running/idling rough. Found a halfway plugged in ecm connector under the center console. Now my shift light works yay. car runs much smoother and doesnt die at a light.

While screwing w the motor I saw the dogbone bracket has a second bolt on the front of the head and that sumbitch was about to fall out. Tightened it up and the motors fairly solid now.

Thanks again
shemmy