1987 Fiero GT 5 Speed 3.4L DOHC LQ1 CA Legal

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

Blue Shift

1987 Fiero GT 5 Speed 3.4L DOHC LQ1 CA Legal

Post by Blue Shift »

Up for sale is my engine swapped Fiero GT. I got a wild hare up my ass and removed the stock 2.8L V6 in good running condition at around 140,000 miles, and converted the car to install a 3.4L DOHC out of an Olds Cutlass Supreme/Lumina Z34/Monte Carlo Z34. The car has 180,000 miles on it now, 40K on the engine. This is the V6 the Fiero should have had from the factory. The best part of this car is that it was BAR recertified with this engine and SMOG LEGAL in the state of California. How often do you see that? Honestly, I'd like the see the car go to somebody that will appreciate it for this fact. As with all cars, there's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good:
- CA BAR recertified engine change: Smog legal in CA - smogs as a 91 Olds Cutlass Supreme.
- The engine was balanced, blueprinted, and fully rebuilt with no expenses spared approximately 4 years ago, with 40K on the engine now.
- I have a factory crate engine that I kept around for backup that's part of the deal.
- Clutchnet Stage II Kevlar cluch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Both were replaced recently and have less than 5000 miles on them.
- Koni adjustable shocks and struts all around
- West Coast Fiero 1.5" drop springs, 350/400 lb/in rate. If it were any lower, you'd be on the ground.
- Energy Suspension poly bushings all alround.
- Custom, super short exhaust with Flowmaster 80 muffler - probably the loudest, meanest V6 you'll ever hear.
- Windshield recently replaced
- No collisions, not salvaged. Frame and suspension are straight and rust free.

The Bad:
- I paid all the attention to the mechanicals, and none to the looks.
- The crate engine is in the SF Bay area in storage and has been sitting for a long while (since the late 90's). I can get it for you, or have it shipped, but it's not here to inspect as of this writing. I'd definitely expect to disassemble, clean, relube, and retorque before use.
- You'll need a good understanding of 80's and 90's GM small cars. They're all the same, and I've done all the hard work, but you probably need to know what's going on.

The Ugly:
- The GM self removing style paint is starting to self remove. The hood is the worst, with the roof and decklid following. Repaint it, or rat it out if you want to go for the Mad Max look.
- The center console, seats, and center console are damaged. You can strip it out for the race car look, or fix it if you want.
- Rims are trashed/curbed, but perfectly serviceable until you put some decent wheels on.

Let me know if you have any questions... I'll make a deal to somebody here on RFT.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: 1987 Fiero GT 5 Speed 3.4L DOHC LQ1 CA Legal

Post by Series8217 »

I can vouch for this car. It's well built. Good suspension and awesome engine. Just needs paint and some bigger rotors and it will make an awesome daily driver and/or track car.

The motor is built similar to mine which dynoed 220 whp, but Blue Shift's feels like it has more top end (the intake is slightly different, built with more care, and 96/97 based). It's fast.

Good luck with the sale!