Early year air filter canister snout gasket needed-HELP !

Sell your parts/cars here. Parts & Cars - not just for "partscars."

Moderator: crzyone

Lou and Blue

Early year air filter canister snout gasket needed-HELP !

Post by Lou and Blue »

I have an 85 GT and the air filter canister has a ring gasket that's like a thick foam rubber rubber band that goes around the "outlet" snout where the rubber tube fits on (the tube that goes to the throttle body).
I asked Rodney Dickman and he says his 88 didnt have that and I noticed that many pictures I've seen of air filter canisters do not have the groove in the snout for that gasket, like mine has. They must be later years. :unknown:

So, if anymore has an air filter canister from an 85 or other earlier year that DOES have the groove in the snout and the associated gasket, I am looking for that gasket.

I can't post pics but if you think you may have what I need I can email a picture to you to make sure. My email is mrlduet@yahoo.com

Thanks so much everyone, I sure hope I can find this gasket.
Louis
Emc209i

Re: Early year air filter canister snout gasket needed-HELP

Post by Emc209i »

I've never seen that ring either and I spent a good amount of time working on an 85 GT. You could swap the canister, since you're the only person in the world that would know it doesn't have this gasket.

:good:
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I have a photo of what I am referring to I just can't figure out how to post a picture here.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Lou and Blue wrote:I have a photo of what I am referring to I just can't figure out how to post a picture here.
On the reply screen, below the text box there's a shaded rectangle which says "Options" and has the "disable BBCode", "notify me", etc. checkboxes.

RIght next to where it says "Options", there should be a tab which says "Upload Attachment".
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

I tried but I got the file is too large error. It's a photo on my iPhone. I don't know why it would be too big to up load.Yeah it's at least a mg file but the max here is 256 kb.
If you send me your email I can email you the pic.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Upload it to a picture hosting site like http://tinypic.com/. Then post the link here.

You should most certainly get a canister without the gasket, they're everywhere.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Once the gasket is In and the air tube is on that's the end of it. My gasket isn't in TERRIBLE condition , I am just looking for one while I have everything apart.

I really don't want to pay for an air filter canister.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 5286 times
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I don't think you would have to pay for a canister if you looked. Anyway... I'm not sure where to start on finding that gasket. I'm guessing that you're trying to keep the OEM look and replace all the rubber so you feel better about it (I don't think the gasket is a functional portion of the connection which is why it was removed on later canisters). Measure the ID and find another gasket for another application? GM certainly doesn't have it anymore and parts stores aren't going to stock it because there isn't enough demand. And all of the originals are thirty years old.
Lou and Blue

Post by Lou and Blue »

Hey I'd surely take another canister if it was free.

The main reason I am keeping the stock canister is because I just bought a k/n filter for it. And even shipping is gonna cost Me at least 10-15 bucks.

Ill keep up my search for the gasket and if I can't locate it ill just use the one I have or try to source a smiliar one I guess.