Alky crew, post here.......

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Emc209i

Re: Alky crew, post here.......

Post by Emc209i »

Atta boy. I'd ask you to send one if it wasn't such a shipping nightmare.

PM me the recipe?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I do about 3-4 pounds of honey per gallon of water. I use lalvin EC-1118 or 71b-1122 yeast, one packet is enough for about 2 gallons, 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and one teaspoon of yeast energizer per packet of yeast.

I heat the honey to make it easier to mix with the water (and use a paddle in a drill to really mix it well), and follow the instructions on the yeast. primary fermentation can be done in plastic, it's only in there for about 2 weeks or until the airlock stops, once it stops, siphon it into a glass carboy or jug careful not to pull all the yeast poop off the bottom, there will be some waste. then let it sit and clarify.

it's really that simple there's a few more recipes here:

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm

it's really easy to make, but takes a long time to age, so I recommend doing larger batches instead of smaller. the 2 gallons I made initially, didn't take very long to drink... also, make sure you clean and sanitize everything before you start. any local brew shop should have everything you need.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've had some good mead the couple of times I've been in the UK.

Brewing is another potentially expensive hobby and I have too many of those already.

Is there any section of the mead community which barrel ages?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

maybe, not really sure, I'm not really in a community.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Cool, thanks! I've got so much going on right now, so I don't know when I'll get a chance to try it, but I know where to come when I'm ready.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Cheers.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

bottled a couple batches of Mead last night. the dark one is about 14% ABV, I call it "Wrecker Wraspberry" the others are aged about a year, and I have no clue what's in them or what the ABV is...
wrecker.jpg
wrecker.jpg (132.91 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
mead.jpg
mead.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Nice job!

I've taken a liking to Anejo Tequila. George Clooney's Casamigos is darn good product. Very very smooth, even sipped straight.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I had some labels made for my latest batch of Mead, I'm pretty stoked! looks almost kinda professional. I'm going to use a different yeast next time, should maintain the same alcohol content, but more flavor too.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

about a month ago, I went and did something stupid...

Killer Karrot:
~18 pounds of honey
3 pounds of carrots, liquified, boiled
1 pound of ginger, grated, boiled, strained
a splash of orange juice
and about 6 gallons of spring water.
2 packs of yeast
and an unknown amount of cinnamon

and for those of you wondering, no I don't know what I'm doing, I just threw shit in a pot and hoped for the best. we'll see where it goes.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I bottled up "Killer Karrot" about 2-3 weeks ago, I carbonated most of it, and I think it turned out good, so far most of the reviews have been favorable.i want to try it again with a few tweaks to the recipe and see what I can come up with