I woke up to this idea

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Atilla the Fun

I woke up to this idea

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Chevy needs to build this: start with a Silverado 1500 standard cab short box rear wheel drive, painted white.
Add the zz572 / 720R, the Allison 1000, and the Dually springs / axle / flares. Fit 33 x 21.50 - 15s.
Then take it to the Texas mile.
F#@K Dodge's old SRT/10 Ram, and Ford's old Lightning. Neither could ever approach this. ALL bow down to THE only true god of HP, Chevrolet.
befarrer

Re: I woke up to this idea

Post by befarrer »

They wont cause it will be Faster than your Fiero!

It will also help to increase GM's debt, screw up their universal fuel mileage numbers (have to have an average certain number for fuel mileage for all of their lineuo excluding 3/4 and up chassis), and there would be no point.

Dodge made the SRT-10 because they can, out of the big 3, they seem to be the one with the balls to do something different. Look at the Prowler? The PT Cruiser started this crossover/retro thing, now look at the crossovers, GM finally responded in like 2005 with the same design basically with the HHR, Ford tried the retro thing with the Mustang, GM failed at the retro thing with the SSR.
The 300 brought back the RWD American sedan with a V8, then an optional bigger V8, Ford responded with a V6 FWD sedan that sucked, gm responded with a FWD V8 car with less power, and was ugly as hell. Hell, even the Dodge Neon, when it first came out in 95 had alot more HP and refinement over any other comact, the other manufacturers started making better compacts and now we have them with 200HP, same with the SRT 4, how many factory boosted compact cars were there? GM attempted like usual half assed with the S/C Cobalt that made alot less HP a few years later, then finally corrected it with the turbo Cobalt, but too late, the SRT 4 had dominated the category already.
Even look at the Corvette, it sucked in the 80's and early 90's. Dodge released the Viper, and GM actually had to do something to compete, and now we have 500+ HP factory Corvette's. Same with the Dodge Challenger, Dodge released the Challenger first, got all of the trend buyers, and GM is left with the brand loyal buyers only.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

No no no, only build the prototype, because the zz572 / 720R will never pass any emissions standards, what with 12:1 and a giant solid roller cam.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Duramax
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Cummins.

Personally I think fast trucks and lowered trucks are silly. So are short bed trucks. That 572/720R would be way faster in a Nova wouldn't it? The V10 viper was faster than the SRT10, and the 6.0L corvette was faster than the Silverado SS. Trucks aren't fun to drive (though my F250 fullfills some wanna be redneck part of my psyche which gives me a pretty big chubby), trucks aren't faster than cars, trucks aren't more comfortable than cars (King Ranch Maybe) but trucks are great utilities. Trucks should have the most torque available, an 8 foot box, and a minimum of an extended cab. 150 is too small too my Dakota has almost the same bed capacity as a 150 and 1,900lbs of gravel made it look bagged, the 250 didn't even squirm. Why risk maxing out your springs and axles. I drive a truck once a month, so I may as well have something that will do everything I want it to do. My 3800SC is my race car, my 88GT is my Sunday cruiser, and the E300D is the daily. That is my truck theory.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I disagree with the 8 foot box idea but I do agree trucks are utility. Who cares how fast your 6-8k# truck is? You won't look cool going fast and nobody cares your dodge truck has a V-10 or your chevy has a big block...

I have a 02 Dodge Cummins 2500 extended cab short box 4x4. It's quick with an edge programmer, will pull anything I want and gets good fuel economy when just cruising down the highway. I have no desire to make it 600hp or upgrade it furthur like those crazy redneck diesel boys. I have fast cars so I guess I get my thrills that way instead.

I agree with you Ben. Dodge has always been the "out there" brand. Prowler, Viper, PT Cruiser, Stealth, SRT-4, Crossifre (especially the SRT-6), 300C, Challenger etc etc. They have traditionally been the only company that puts their radical prototypes into production. Just wish they would have followed through with the ME-4-12. The other brands have been followers at best, except for maybe Ford's retro T-Bird.
CincinnatiFiero

Out of curiosity, why not have an 8 foot box? It *only* an extra foot and a half but I maxed my dakota out regularly, I am loving the extra length I have with the F250.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I don't like the look, and I rarely fill my 6' box. I tow car haulers with it, so box capacity isn't an issue for me.
CincinnatiFiero

Fair enough, I use a truck for all sorts of stuff, hauling gravel, furniture, engines, etc, moreso than towing so in my case the 8' box is a utility, not a look how big my rig is thing.

Pics of your new rig?

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I like those old school fords.

Dirty as hell because it's been raining but here is my dodge
CincinnatiFiero

Very nice, I have diesel envy. I couldn't afford a diesel this time around. I've got a spare mercedes diesel but I don't think a 134hp 155lb/ft high reving 24v would move the 250 out very well lol. I always loved the look of this body style ford too, the 150s got kind of puss after this body style, but even on this body style 250 and up got you the solid front axle that makes the front end sit nice and high.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I also have a 99 F-150, black extended cab, short box 4x4 (notice a theme here?) I have it for sale. I agree they are a little soft. The 4.6 isn't a good pulling engine. Feels like I'm killing it every time I go up a hill with a trailer.

I used to have a 95? ish F-150 with a 5.0. Decent truck, bought it just to flip it. I like the old 5.0 much more than the modular 4.6.
CincinnatiFiero

I didn't like the look of the later F150s, F150 7700, or F250LD, it didn't look mean enough for me, the Superduty 250+ of the 99+ body was a tough looking truck. The previous body F150/250/350/Superduty was a more substantial looking truck. My F250 is a 1996 F250 351W 5.8L I went for 2WD and the long bed. The snow in Ohio isn't THAT bad and I had the Wrangler when I got the 250 so I wanted to avoid the complications of 4x4 and save a couple of mpgs because most of what I do is highway hauling so that extra mpg or two helps. Ultimately I want a one ton, diesel, manual trans, 4x4, 8 foot box, extended cab Ford or Dodge, a truck I can do ANYTHING with it, but my last build your on on Ford.com was like $72,000 haha. I think extended cab is a must. Not really convenient to throw people in the back but I like the ability to put stuff in the back seat to keep it out of the rain.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Gotta have an 8 foot bed. Can't haul plywood and building materials with a shortbed.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Car Hauler. I can load twice as much as an 8' bed on my trailer. 8000# axels.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah but a trailer is bulky and unwieldy compared to the truck by itself.
And you could load 50% more with the trailer and a longbed than you could with the trailer and a shortbed. :-P
CincinnatiFiero

2x12s turn any craigslist utility trailer into a car hauler :-D
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:Chevy needs to build this: start with a Silverado 1500 standard cab short box rear wheel drive, painted white.
Add the zz572 / 720R, the Allison 1000, and the Dually springs / axle / flares. Fit 33 x 21.50 - 15s.
Then take it to the Texas mile.
F#@K Dodge's old SRT/10 Ram, and Ford's old Lightning. Neither could ever approach this. ALL bow down to THE only true god of HP, Chevrolet.
Why does it need duallies and flares to run the standing mile? The extra drag will kill the top end.
CincinnatiFiero

Isn't the Allison geared for towing, not top end. It'd be a hellacious pull from a dig and then that would be it.

Dually would add traction but agreed it would hurt top end.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'd say go 4WD for traction, but the drivetrain loss would hurt top end also. Weight isn't nearly as much of a consideration, especially since the vehicle won't be very light to begin with.