"Tax the rich" signs held up by Pro-Union protestors...

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Sinister Fiero

"Tax the rich" signs held up by Pro-Union protestors...

Post by Sinister Fiero »

If you've been watching any sort of national news coverage the past couple of months you've probably seen the pro-union protestors in Wisconsin and my home state of Indiana holding up signs that say "tax the rich" (in order to pay for their salaries and benefits). But I have to ask: why does GE get off with not having to pay any taxes when they claim $14.2 BILLION dollars worth of worldwide income ($5.1 Bil in U.S.)??? I guess 'they' must not be "rich"...???

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/busin ... ml?_r=1&hp

Where the F is my tax break???
Shaun41178(2)

Re: "Tax the rich" signs held up by Pro-Union protestors...

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

maybe by not getting taxed GE was able to employ more people thus keeping jobs for those union people? :unknown:
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:maybe by not getting taxed GE was able to employ more people thus keeping jobs for those union people? :unknown:
I thought of that too. But if that's the case, if I didn't get taxed I could employ more people, right???
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Perhaps.

For people to say tax the rich is dumb. For one, how much money makes you rich? Two, why is noone asking obama to pay more taxes. The dude is a millionaire yet noone is saying "Hey, this obama guy, we need more of his money!"

Poor people don't pay taxes anyways Seriously, people on welfare don't pay taxes. Maybe people holding signs should say, tax those on welfare?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:maybe by not getting taxed GE was able to employ more people thus keeping jobs for those union people? :unknown:
Except GE's been closing US plants and shipping the jobs offshore.
<Insert Sig Here>
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Perhaps.

For people to say tax the rich is dumb. For one, how much money makes you rich? Two, why is noone asking obama to pay more taxes. The dude is a millionaire yet noone is saying "Hey, this obama guy, we need more of his money!"

Poor people don't pay taxes anyways Seriously, people on welfare don't pay taxes. Maybe people holding signs should say, tax those on welfare?
What's dumb about it? After WWII, taxes on the rich were WAY higher than they are today and we built the Interstate Highway system with it. And believe it or not, the rich were still rich. We've been slowly cutting the taxes on the rich for decades, and where has it gotten us?

What use would it be in taxing people on welfare? They don't have any money to tax. Taxing them will only make them poorer. Taxing the CEO of Bank of America more will make him slightly less obscenely rich.
<Insert Sig Here>
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Fastback86 wrote:
Except GE's been closing US plants and shipping the jobs offshore.
so if GE is closing plants in the US, why should they have to pay US taxes on their profits if they are no longer effectively a US corporation? Thats like asking a company based out of Russia, who isn't even in the US, to pay US income taxes. That comes down to tariffs then, which is just another name for a tax really but of a different kind If Canada asked you to pay canadian income taxes what would you say? I have a pretty good idea.
We've been slowly cutting the taxes on the rich for decades, and where has it gotten us?

What use would it be in taxing people on welfare? They don't have any money to tax. Taxing them will only make them poorer. Taxing the CEO of Bank of America more will make him slightly less obscenely rich.
What constitutes rich to you? Because I guarantee it will be different for everyone. Make more than 100k? You are "rich". Make more than 50k? You are "rich". Make more than 30k? You are rich. Someone working minimum wage might make $15k a year if working full time. They might think 40k a year by someone else makes them "rich". Oh you have a new car? You must be "rich". Oh you live in a 100k dollar house? You must be "rich". You are wearing a watch? You must be "rich" DAMN! new shoes? You must be "rich" You have your own medical insurance? Damn you must be "rich".

Maybe the IRS should say that welfare is income, and tax it. Its free money. It doesn't even have to be worked for. Yet if I sell something for $1, that I made with my own hands, technically, I am supposed to claim it on my income, and pay taxes on it. I guess providing a service for someone makes me rich.