Let's see your guns!

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Let's see your guns!

Post by crzyone »

Frigin sweet man, that is a sexy gun. I'd buy an AR but I think I mentioned already in this thread that I don't really want a restricted rifle. Restricted meaning I can only take it to the range and back, and our range is only 100 yards so not that great. I don't mind it for hand guns though, the range is probably the only place I'd shoot them anyways.

So I mentioned earlier in the thread about the 10mm being good as a wilderness walkout gun. This just happened a week or 2 ago not far from where I am.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlB0FqQ0DlQ

There are a lot of bears and Grizzlys around here. A few years ago a hunter was mauled badly by a grizzly and he only survived by breaking the law and carrying his Colt 1911 on his side. He survived and he wasn't charged. They did take away his handgun though. I wish they did charge him. If they did it would have went to court and the stupid gun laws that keep us from protecting ourselves in the wilderness would be repealed. This happened in the oil field I work in, 20 minutes north of the gas plant I work at. I see all kinds of bears, in the spring sometimes 5 different bears a day...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=177360

Just a month or so ago a worker was killed on a work site by a black bear. This is truly the "frontier". In a country where you can be killed by a multitude of different predators we don't have the right to carry a handgun in the bush...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpVOWTW5N8

Anyways, I just bought bear spray for when I go out and cut wood for the fire pit. I will keep it on my belt but I still have a loaded SVT-40 next to my truck just in case. Now that I have my KSG maybe I'll bring that.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I picked up a Crimson Trace laser sight set of hand grips that is currently mounted on the M9 that I'm deployed with. I've only been to the range once since I've had them, and due to circumstances wasn't really able to test them out, but they're pretty nice. Out of the box, they match the iron sights but are able to be adjusted. Also, I like the easy activation in contrast to those that are built into the guide rod that I looked at. In any sort of quick reaction situation, you're not going to want to mess with turning on the sight like you have to with guide rods and other attachments. With this one, grab the grip and it illuminates.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I put a new thing on my thing:

It's a Primary Arms micro red-dot knockoff of an Aimpoint T-1. The claimed battery life is 50,000 hours on medium brightness for the clone! Even if actual life is half that, I wouldn't be disappointed for $160. Seems rugged enough and the optical quality is fine. 2MOA dot as crisp as any Aimpoint I've used. Will sit on any Aimpoint mount so I put it in a Bobro QD lever, very good mounts.
Last edited by Indy on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've decided that being a 1000 yard marksman is on my bucket list.

A friend has offered to help me put together a rifle that will make that possible.

Any additional pointers here?
Indy

Post by Indy »

Buy a used Accuracy International AE mk III in .308. It will perform equivalently to custom R700 based builds at pricing pretty much the same, without the same compromises made for the action and trigger that custom builds must make. Don't skimp on buying a good optic. The Bushnell Elite series has a very good lineup for the price point, and the feel is very good even when compared to the big name German glass I've handled. My friend and I (coworker, also an engineer) like to use data-driven, objective approaches (personalized scoring matrix for a scope? hell yeah) to determine the best equipment for us based on ALL of the information we can possibly gather. We had similar shooting objectives, but for what it's worth we both independently settled on the Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS. I can expound upon why this made the top of the list if you want.

Regarding the caliber: If you want to be a marksman, then buy .308 and make a small initial investment for reloading. Shoot alot. Learn to range accurately, and most importantly, make good wind calls. When you have the fundamentals of marksmanship mastered, you can move to one of the 6mm calibers that will give you better ballistic performance at the cost of barrel life. There is no doubt that 6mm will maximize your hit potential, but you have to have the basics in place in the first place, and putting a new barrel on an AI AE isn't a huge deal so that's why I recommend going that way.

Read everything here:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/

The rifle that I helped my friend spec:

Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

At what range can he hit things with that AR based rifle? I was under the impression AR's didn't make good long range rifles because of the influence of the gas tube on the barrel before the bullet left the muzzle. However, I don't see a gas tube on that one... what's going on?

I've had recommendations for a Savage M110 or Remington M70.

This is an apocalypse (non-Zombie) rifle, so maximum ammo availability is important.

I recognize that I'll have to load my own for 1000 yard accuracy.

Is the idea behind a 6mm that it's less susceptible to cross-wind than a larger projectile at the same muzzle velocity (and with less mass has less recoil)?

Nice photo of the ejector operating!
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

AR's are traditionally direct impingement. There is no gas tube. Which is a mixed bag.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Well... there is a gas tube, because the gas has to get back to the upper received to operate the action. The momentum of the gas moving in different directions moves the barrel around unpredictably and hurt accuracy. Or at least that's the story.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:At what range can he hit things with that AR based rifle? I was under the impression AR's didn't make good long range rifles because of the influence of the gas tube on the barrel before the bullet left the muzzle. However, I don't see a gas tube on that one... what's going on?

I've had recommendations for a Savage M110 or Remington M70.

This is an apocalypse (non-Zombie) rifle, so maximum ammo availability is important.

I recognize that I'll have to load my own for 1000 yard accuracy.

Is the idea behind a 6mm that it's less susceptible to cross-wind than a larger projectile at the same muzzle velocity (and with less mass has less recoil)?

Nice photo of the ejector operating!
He's shot it out to 1000+ yards, with hits on torso-sized targets. It's a Larue OBR .308. I'm not exactly sure what kind of groups he's shot at that range, I haven't been with on his long range shoots. With that rifle I'd expect under 1 MOA or around 10" at 1000 yards. We've shot under 1/2 MOA up to 300 yards with it.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Well... there is a gas tube, because the gas has to get back to the upper received to operate the action. The momentum of the gas moving in different directions moves the barrel around unpredictably and hurt accuracy. Or at least that's the story.
The gas tube is passing under the handguard. When the bolt is in battery, the gas tube is in position to supply the bolt and carrier with gas through the gas key. It passes into the area behind the bolt and is sealed off from escaping forward by the bolt gas rings. The expansion forces the carrier rearwards which rotates the bolt out of the breach, and the momentum of the carrier and the gas pressure on the breach force the bolt itself to move rearward.

It is simultaneously the best and worst feature of the AR platform. Best in that the recoil forces act in pretty much only 1 direction, and directly in line with the barrel and recoil spring. The area that gas is exposed to (until the bolt chamber) in the gas tube is very small, so those forces amount to pretty much nothing. There is a very small rotational component from the bolt rotating out of the chamber, but the bolt is light and it's only rotating 30° so that force is miniscule also. The worst thing is the age-old story of dirty gas getting dumped directly into the action. It definitely happens - there's not way to get around it - but people have realized that it's just not a big deal. A properly functioning AR can go thousands of rounds without cleaning, and the piston-driven AR's have once again waned in popularity.

Other gas operated rifles (SCAR, AK, pretty much everything else) use a piston over the barrel, which is where the barrel deflection and harmonics comes in to play. Direct impingement systems offer the most dynamically stable semi-automatic operation, and that is why they make the most accurate semi-auto platform. The only thing left that a bolt-action rifle has to improve on is the elimination of the gas port in the barrel, and a tighter and therefore more consistent bolt lockup. The accuracy gap between semi's and bolt guns has been diminishing, and it's very small now.

More on 6mm later.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I will have to do an update on my stuff but my safe is now at capacity... Going to be buying a second one soon.

Gun on the front right is cool. Theuron Defense in 10mm. Shares ammo and mags with my Glock 20. I'm up to 11 G20 mags so I can pack quite a lot of ammo for the pistol/carbine combo.

Additional rifles I haven't posted yet are a Thompson Center hunting rifle in 30-06, Swiss K31, M44 Mosin Nagant, Beretta CX4 storm in 9mm, 18" overall double barrel shotgun, G17... I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Turned my T97 into a hog hunting rifle. I love this gun.

My KSG is getting a little mental. Not sure if I like the shell holders but can't complain about carying 15 2 3/4 and an additional 12 3" mag rounds lol...

M44 Mosin. This is a pretty nice little rifle.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I was going to build an FN FAL, decided to just buy one instead... more to come...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Seven-sicks-too buy fiddy juan.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Taking back Rhodesia?

Looks beautiful.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Emc209i wrote:Taking back Rhodesia?

Looks beautiful.

taking it shooting this weekend, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

shoots nice, you start to feel it after about 350 rounds. no problems hitting a 4-6" target at 100 yards through the irons.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Pops gave me a CZ-75 clone for my birthday. Took it apart, flared the magwell, did a little bit of internal polishing, and put some VZ grips on it. I like it!

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Image link's broken.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

my collection thus far, I do have a .22 Rifle, SKS and Remington Semi 12 Ga not in pics

Colt M4 LE 5.56Nato

L to R

IWI Jericho 941 9 mm
S&W SW 22 Victory .22 cal
S&W model 686 357 Magnum
CZ 75 Shadow 2 9 mm
Browning Buckmark .22 cal
0eUx4qp.jpg
0eUx4qp.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
lG5i8KH.jpg
lG5i8KH.jpg (152.8 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
wQ3CPA9.jpg
wQ3CPA9.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Last edited by jelly2m81 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

IB4AuoB.jpg
IB4AuoB.jpg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
a9FVxco.jpg
a9FVxco.jpg (152.94 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
lLqfATm.jpg
lLqfATm.jpg (162.82 KiB) Viewed 4332 times