rules of hotrodding...

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

rules of hotrodding...

Post by ericjon262 »

Saw this on bangshift earlier, thought it was worth cross posting

Rule # 1: Nothing is bolt on. Absolutely freakin’ nothing. I don’t care if you are replacing one part with another part from the same company. I don’t care how much it costs. Or how shiny it is. Count on having to modify something.

Rule #2: Replacing one part will absolutely require you modify or buy at least two more parts in order for it work. Count on it. Plan for it. And, budget for it.

Rule # 3: If you can’t handle rules 1 and 2, keep your car stock. Or, better yet. Hire a professional to build your car. You are the lawn sitting, billet polishing, car duster wiping hot rodder. Spend your time memorizing the specs of the parts someone else installed for you because you are not up to the task of what our hot rodding fore fathers did without call centers, internet forums, and tech advisors there to help them. They bucked up, put on their big boy pants, and figured this shit out on their own without crying about it.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Sinister Fiero

Re: rules of hotrodding...

Post by Sinister Fiero »

This reminds me of a previous customer (now good friend) who brought me his '57 Chevy, that I had previously done other work on, to have me put a power steering conversion kit in it for him. He decided to stay and help me do it, and I'm glad he was here to see how much of a PITA it was and how absolutely NOTHING worked like the "100% bolt-on" kit said it would. We did end up having to extensively modify the kit's steering column, shaft, and steering wheel collar to get it to fit into his car (even though the kit was made for a '57 Chevy). In the end, they ended up supplying the wrong pump in the kit which was trying to push too much volume for the gear box they supplied, which resulted in the fluid quickly overheating. We had to get a different pump to fix the problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Rule #1 applies to Fieros in spades. I'd be running 9's if I'd bought a Mustang and could buy all the parts and only need to do the systems integration myself.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Rule #1 applies to Fieros in spades. I'd be running 9's if I'd bought a Mustang and could buy all the parts and only need to do the systems integration myself.
You missed the point... Even a Mustang is bound by Rule #1. Hell, my friend bought 4-figure aftermarket parts for his HONDA and they had to be modified to work.