I bought a house and a lift. Let the garage upgrades begin!

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Unsafe At Any Speed

I bought a house and a lift. Let the garage upgrades begin!

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

So, I don't post often and haven't done anything to my Fiero for a long time, but I still check out this forum all the time. Also, it's the only car forum I'm a part of that I've actually met a couple of you guys. That said, I thought I'd share. As some of you may know, I've been in Afghanistan for about a year, but I'll be headed back to the States soon. When I was back in late December taking my two weeks of R&R I looked at some houses, put down a deposit on a new construction, and then closed on it a few weeks ago. This is my first home purchase, but it was admittedly an anti-climatic experience being 7000 miles away. Oh well, here are a few pictures of it:

The garage and work space isn't the biggest, but for newer homes in the area, I would say that it is decent. Compared to the other homes I looked at this offered the largest garage dimensions. It should be adequate for my tool chests, etc.

I've always wanted a lift in my garage. From the research I did on these, it seemed that the MaxJax would be good for me. It gets the cars up as high as I would need them and is 'portable.' Being that I'll most likely be moving (and renting out this house) after my next deployment that is coming up, I liked the idea of being able to bring the lift along and with new anchors install it at my next house. Being that Costco has a current sale going on for $300 off and included shipping, I went ahead and ordered. Any experience with this lift? Here's their website for those who don't know anything about it: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

I also plan on doing an epoxy coating in the garage, hopefully sometime in April. I haven't quite decided on products/colors, but any advice would be appreciated.

After that, I plan to upgrade the lighting. I've done so much work in dimly lit garages that this would be a much welcomed upgrade.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: I bought a house and a lift. Let the garage upgrades be

Post by Series8217 »

Congrats on the home purchase! Looks great!! This is in the DC area?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Clearly out in the 'burbs... Whereabouts?

That combat zone tax exclusion combined with DC BAH is nice, isn't it? :-D
Unsafe At Any Speed

*double post
Last edited by Unsafe At Any Speed on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Series8217 wrote:Congrats on the home purchase! Looks great!! This is in the DC area?
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Clearly out in the 'burbs... Whereabouts?

Thanks! Yeah, it is. Waldorf area specifically. Know of anybody looking for a place? Two of the rooms are for rent...

The Dark Side of Will wrote: That combat zone tax exclusion combined with DC BAH is nice, isn't it? :-D
Definitely. It adds up quickly. Too bad I've already started spending it all...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The garage setup/lighting thread on Corner Carvers: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=14176

There's probably some specific info on floor coverings in that thread, and maybe a dedicated thread on that forum. Search before you post. Bring a LOOOOONNNGGG attention span.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

House looks nice, garage is a little small though... :P
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Unsafe At Any Speed

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The garage setup/lighting thread on Corner Carvers: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=14176

There's probably some specific info on floor coverings in that thread, and maybe a dedicated thread on that forum. Search before you post. Bring a LOOOOONNNGGG attention span.
I'll check it out. I think I tried to create an account there a long time ago and it wouldn't work.

We'll have to meet up again when I get back. Cars and Coffee or something.
ericjon262 wrote:House looks nice, garage is a little small though... :P
Thanks. Yeah, I'd prefer a much bigger garage but it wasn't going to work with the type of house and price point I was looking for. That said, this one is actually bigger than most of the other places I looked at. A couple looked barely big enough to fit two cars in there, let alone work on them.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Bump for lift Pr0N!