HTP welder?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

HTP welder?

Post by ericjon262 »

anyone ever use an HTP welder? there's 2 on CL and I'm thinking about picking one up.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Re: HTP welder?

Post by ericjon262 »

well, the guy had two welders listed, I did a little bit of research, and found that they aren't cheap machines. so I went to take a look. got there, and the guy says he forgot to update the add, and only one was available now, and it was broken, said he'd take $100 for it. I went and looked at it, and was about to say no thanks when he said $40 and it's yours... I figured I could sell the regulator for that, so I picked it up. right now, it looks like it might need a new gun, and there's a missing fuse. I'll probably also replace the hose liner. I plugged it in, and it made the right kind of noises I would expect, so we'll see how this goes.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Which model is it?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

MIG 140, it's not a 220V like I would prefer, but the price was definitely right.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I did a little play'n around with it today, it's not holding an arc, in fact, it's barely making one at all. I'm going to replace the ground and see if that helps, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll also dig out my DMM and see if it can help point any fingers.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Salut.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

new rectifier on the way, we'll see what happens...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The PO left an electric pushmower in my garage when I bought my house. I plugged it in and it didn't work. A few minutes with a DVM confirmed it was the regulator. Regulator priced out at $12. Now I've gotten WAY more use out of that mower than $12 justifies.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

My girlfriend has an electric mower Will. Just imagine how much grief I give her about it....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hehe... I knew I'd hear something about having an electric mower.

My personal slice of suburban hell is 0.19 acres with a ~2300 ft^2 house, 24x32 shop, driveway around back, concrete pad in front of the shop... I don't need to do much mowing.

Also, when it's been put up over the winter, I plug it in and it starts... no futzing with 6 month old gasohol in the carbeurettor...
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Nah man, I understand.

I need your man card though. Brah. =)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

lol
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

New rectifier is in, and it appears to be working pretty damn good. needs a new weld time rheostat, but I can work around that. I think I did pretty good for $40(machine) and $122 (rectifier).

link to as new machine:

http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetails.a ... Code=60140
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nice job!

I just paid a bottle of bourbon for a collection of interesting parts including a cherry picker and a belt driven welder.