New Camaro!

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

ericjon262

New Camaro!

Post by ericjon262 »

OMG have you seen it! DEAR GOD! It looks,,, the same. :-o

oh but GM managed to drop 200 pounds from it, so the lightest model now weighs about what the heaviest 4th gen weighed... now that's what I call progress GM, good job.

I'm not mad, I'm just, well, I guess I'm just disappointed....
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Emc209i

Re: New Camaro!

Post by Emc209i »

Parked next to a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V today. Took a min to compare the build quality with my ten year old car, again. My honest impression is that there simply must be that many clueless consumers out there to keep a company like General Motors going.

Who the hell spends that kind of money on a steel box with a plastic inside. Nobody knows what real leather is..? It seems like American car companies for the most part don't progress technologically - they simply respin twenty year old technology. The LS engine is great, everything else is knock off garbage.

And it's weird... it's just one of those things you... "get". I really have no insight on why anyone would defend GM. It's beyond me. What do they build? Cheap knock off cars that are entry class. But people think they're class leading automobiles somehow.

Then again, most people are non compliant with their hypertension medication....

Dumb cars for dumb people?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I feel like the trucks are the only things keeping them afloat. but even then, I recently picked up an 06 silverado 2500HD, and I was looking at the newer body style parked next to me (also a 2500HD), and the frame was puny compared to my 06. the frame on my 06 is about 7" tall, the frame on the new truck was only about 5" or so.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Hydroforming, j0!

That being said, I've driven AllTRBO's 2015 Vette and it's pretty nice... not as nice as the Audis I sit in at the Washington Auto Show, but WAY above the C6. The 2LT has dual zone climate control.

And the LT1 engine is a monster.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Hydroforming, j0!

That being said, I've driven AllTRBO's 2015 Vette and it's pretty nice... not as nice as the Audis I sit in at the Washington Auto Show, but WAY above the C6. The 2LT has dual zone climate control.

And the LT1 engine is a monster.

The truck frames are hydroformed?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I completely agree about the Vette and understand why anyone would buy one, it's a lot of bang for the buck. But then there's everything else they make. The new Viper is just like the Vette, they're using European styling and interior cues to compete with foreign supercars. I don't think they should be mimicking other car markets, I like American designs, I just wish they put a little more care into what they build - it's all so cheaply cobbled together and it looks unfinished. But someone is willing to shell out money for it..
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I expected a link or a picture but now I have to google it myself. Dissapoint.

I enjoyed my CTS, I dunno, pretty much all car interiors above the cheap econo boxes look good to me.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

crzyone wrote:I expected a link or a picture but now I have to google it myself. Dissapoint.

I enjoyed my CTS, I dunno, pretty much all car interiors above the cheap econo boxes look good to me.

sorry, I figured pics weren't necessary here, it looks the exact same...
Indy

Post by Indy »

I quite like it. GM said two years ago the styling would be an evolution of the fifth-gen. The new design checked every box I was expecting, and the performance will set new standards for the price range.
oh but GM managed to drop 200 pounds from it, so the lightest model now weighs about what the heaviest 4th gen weighed
Yeah, the 4cyl will be about 100lbs lighter than the last 4th gen SS...But bitching about the weight is kinda stupid. If it's that terrible, show me something better. Compare the lineup to BMW's offerings that make close to the same amount of power. Hell, the SS will have a better power/weight ratio than the M3.

Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The 2LT has dual zone climate control.
My '59 SL (which came out in '54) had dual zone climate control. Glad GM thought it was a novel idea 60 years later.

I think the new Camaro is a bit of an improvement in the looks department, though I do see that horrible Fiero-Plazma Rebody in the rear 1/4 panel for some reason.

The muscle cars are supposed to look retro and the Mustang and Challenger aren't showing any signs of that fad going away, so what did you guys really expect? It was going to look more or less the same with some freshened lines, sort of exactly what it ended up being.