4.9 dyno

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

4.9 dyno

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I filmed this at the dyno day in Daytona years ago. Engine was pretty stock from what I could tell. Can't mistake the WOW factor of that v8 growl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acHe4jAOV6E
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: 4.9 dyno

Post by crzyone »

Right where it should be.

I have no problem with guys with these low power engines. They are an upgrade over the 2.8 and cost next to nothing to buy.

I only have a problem with the guys that used to talk these swaps up, and outright lie like MTA.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Might be a little on the low side due to a problem getting the PCM to run right, or a tired engine or whatever. Maybe it's a 4.5 and only makes 180 HP in the first place. It's also dynoing through an Automatic. Anyway, it's well within the relatively wide limits of typical 4.x swap dyno results.

Does Rcheee have anything to do with 4.9 swaps?

While dyno results and discussion certainly could go into Motorsports, a thread that does nothing but say "Look how shitty this is, I'm just here to grind my favorite axe" probably should go in VTW.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

crzyone wrote:Right where it should be.

I have no problem with guys with these low power engines. They are an upgrade over the 2.8 and cost next to nothing to buy.

I only have a problem with the guys that used to talk these swaps up, and outright lie like MTA.

Its a 50whp gain for $199 or whatever pick and pull has them on sale for. Can't beat those numbers.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's definitely a cheap swap with decent results. I think it could crack 13's well driven with the engine running at its potential.

However, I can't get excited about a 4.9 for Fiero used when a 3400 or 3500 cost the same, will bolt in place of the 2.8 and give as much power as the 4.9 with even less effort.

I've seen a page detailing a 4.9/T5 swap into a Suzuki Swift or similar tiny 4x4. I think it would be great for that. Good fuel economy and abundant torque would make it a great off road engine, and the light weight helps the small chassis handle it.

Props to the guy for putting it on the dyno in the first place. :-D
VF1SkullAngel

Post by VF1SkullAngel »

I've owned two Caddillacs with the 4.9 motor and they both were piss fucking slow. Great cars for driving around town but id never want this engine in a sportscar like a Fiero or Fbody.
Sometimes you only need six cylinders to get the job done.