Rare88 runs 11.86 @ 114.65mph

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Red3800SC

Rare88 runs 11.86 @ 114.65mph

Post by Red3800SC »

Went to our local Pontiac Uprising and busted off a 11.86 @ 115mph almost. I pulled a 1.68 60ft and did it all on pump gas, full street trim on Nitto 555R drag radials (fieroX drove it to a 1.66 60ft and a 11.87 1/4 mile, so I'm at least faster in my own car lol. Timing was only 16 degrees because I forgot to grab some race gas. I think if I bump the timing up to 22 degrees, I can get the car to go 11.5's or 11.6's. I also got a Mezire IC Pump installed and a brand new 3.5 quart Moroso IC Tank. Night and day difference to the amount of ice I can run, etc. Pics below.

Video of the run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-Kefio ... ature=plcp

My IC Tank Install:

Later,
Amir
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula
2000 L67
4t65e-HD Tranny
Best 1/4: 11.77 @ 114.62mph.
60 ft: 1.60

Formerly known as Rare87GT.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Rare88 runs 11.86 @ 114.65mph

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Hell yea dude, congrats. that is def a good ET. One can not say the modded 3800S/C motors with the auto trans doesn't perform. A couple suggestions if I may? You may already be doing this but just in case.

After each run, shut the car off and jumper the intercooler pump to keep coolant flowing through the intercooler. This will help cool the blower faster between runs, even if the ice in the reservoir is melted. Ice the blower down between runs. Right before running, if possible being in the staging lanes, drain the intercooler reservoir, and put fresh ice in it. This should help get the water temps below ambient right before the run to allow for greatest efficiency of the intercooler. Also running a bit more timing with the race gas will help too. With this, cooler air temps with it being fall, I see mid 11's and possibly 117 mph traps.

Of course a small 50 shot of nitrous and a proper tune for it will make the biggest difference but not sure if you want to go that route.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Red3800SC

Re: Rare88 runs 11.86 @ 114.65mph

Post by Red3800SC »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Hell yea dude, congrats. that is def a good ET. One can not say the modded 3800S/C motors with the auto trans doesn't perform. A couple suggestions if I may? You may already be doing this but just in case.

After each run, shut the car off and jumper the intercooler pump to keep coolant flowing through the intercooler. This will help cool the blower faster between runs, even if the ice in the reservoir is melted. Ice the blower down between runs. Right before running, if possible being in the staging lanes, drain the intercooler reservoir, and put fresh ice in it. This should help get the water temps below ambient right before the run to allow for greatest efficiency of the intercooler. Also running a bit more timing with the race gas will help too. With this, cooler air temps with it being fall, I see mid 11's and possibly 117 mph traps.

Of course a small 50 shot of nitrous and a proper tune for it will make the biggest difference but not sure if you want to go that route.

Shaun,
Thanks man, it's been a long time coming, especially with all the bs I went through with bad tunes from Loyde. Those TOG headers are still rockin though to this day (plan on ceramic coating them soon when I get a new exhaust)! I still think I'm one of the very few to get those headers to work and still have a trunk. I still can't believe the deal you got on those to this day. It was listed under Ford Thunderbird 3.8 or something if I remember. So damn long ago. Yeah I'm getting to the point where the M90 is about at the peak of what it can do. I still enjoy instant torque on the street especially when racing all these high horsepower LS1 and Mustangs around here. They get so embarrassed by me on the street it's stupid. With my drag radials at like 20psi of pressure on the street, they are helpless.

As far as the intercooler, we did just that. I have the pump wired up to a switch so I can just click the switch and leave it going and drain the tank and put more ice in it while I'm icing the blower with a bag on it too. Yeah, I'd love to see some 11.49's at 117-118, but I think at most 116-117 is the trap speeds I will see on a cool day and race gas with 22 degrees of timing. I've had a lot of people tell me I should run a 35 or 50 shot and it will do wonders. I bet if I ran a 50 shot, I could get the car to go 11.2's or 11.3's on race gas. You think running a 50 would still be safe? I planned on running a 35 shot on this setup in the future. I remember running a 75 shot on my old setup with a VS cam and trapping 118mph..but also back then I was only trapping 110-111mph before, so 7 mph pick up wasn't bad. I bet I could go around 120-122. Wet shot or dry shot? Any suggestions on Nitrous kits to go with?

Later bud.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula
2000 L67
4t65e-HD Tranny
Best 1/4: 11.77 @ 114.62mph.
60 ft: 1.60

Formerly known as Rare87GT.