Not Fastest, but Classiest Time of Day

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Not Fastest, but Classiest Time of Day

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

We did a Mercedes Benz Club / Ohio State Autocross, ended up being small but it was a pretty diverse mix of cars. Figured you guys would appreciate a few pics.

Some other pics from autocross
For Steven
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: Not Fastest, but Classiest Time of Day

Post by crzyone »

Not sure I've ever seen such a diverse auto x.

How did the old girl do?
CincinnatiFiero

Auto cross / 17 friends got together in a university football parking lot.

The diversity is also a good representation of what we are about. Just getting on the track and having fun. We don't do classes (how could we lol) and the timing is basically so you can tell if different things you are trying are working for you. Lots of people ride with each other, everyone is happy to share technique or little nuances of the course they've discovered that made them faster. The local SCCA is too serious everyone is out there to prove themselves as some grass roots race driver who's about to break into the big leagues. You're 50 years old and racing miatas in a dirty parking lot, settle the fuck down and try to have fun.

190 was a lot of fun. Car is very well balanced, not as much body roll as I'd think. The car has 4 wheel drums but it has aluminum drums and my brakes are very new. The bias ply tires actually played to my advantage. Since grip wasn't outstanding even with 105hp I could use the throttle to rotate the car when I wanted to. I had to get to another event so I didn't get to drive it as much as I wanted to.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Holy crap! Mad props for getting that thing out there. That is awesome! I'd love to see some on-board Go Pro footage. Get some pointing back at the wheels too so we can see how that ancient German technology works. :good:
CincinnatiFiero

Sadly that was our last auto cross this season, long story involving the university selling the rights to their parking to a private company who made it really tough for us to schedule auto crosses this year.

I also have the car on the market so I probably won't have it next season. But I really wanted to get it out there and see what 1959 is like on the limit.

My friend who has had several of each tells me the 190Sl will actually outrun a 300Sl in the really twisty bits. However with 105hp on any big circuit the 300SL will obviously outclass a 190.

My friend had the go pro on my car ill have to see what that footage came out looking like.

At the last event I ran my euro 190E 5speed and we ran in the rain, also a lot of fun.

I've also done 5 laps of Mid Ohio in the 190SL, while they weren't 10/10 all I had runs, we were limited to under 100mph by and S2000 or a TSX on slicks so I was actually able to drive the 190 fairly hard without catching up to the pace car.
CincinnatiFiero

So there a go pro glitch. All the gopro has of the 190 is a single still shot. Very strange, my friend is going to email me the pic anyway.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bummer. Sounds like he accidentally had it set to photo mode, and didn't check for the blinking light (video mode) after clicking the shutter. Been there, done that.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

It might not have even been an accident. GoPro's are buggy, they shut down inexplicably, go to different modes, lock up, etc. when they work right they work well though.

Mine likes to overheat, a lot, and likes to change from max SD over-write to SD full no more recording as soon as the card gets full.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Looks like a fun day. 190 looks great with surprisingly little body roll. It's always cool to see classic cars out being driven like they were meant to be driven.

A lot of the classic American cars from the '50's were meant for smooth cruising, but many Euro cars from that same time period were built to have the wheels driven off them. e.g. Ferrari...

I've seen a old video of an early 280 HP 3.4 litre Jaguar E-type getting the P!$$ thrashed out of it. Great stuff. Just like you mention, it could turn on a dime with just throttle thanks to bias ply tires.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Well I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say mad props for running that car. I wish there were more places where you could see and compare how the old cars compared to modern technology.
CincinnatiFiero

If I have the car next spring I will for sure take it to another event. I do have the car for sale so I sort of hope I don't have it next season, but if I do, expect more autocross.

No-one has any good pictures of the car the two times it was out on Mid Ohio, my one friend has iPhone footage from inside the car, I'll have to see what the quality of that looks like on a computer screen, you guys may appreciate that.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Hell, I'd just like to hear what it sounds like. If the audio's any good throw it up. How'd that SEC do in the turns?
CincinnatiFiero

Which car are you referring to? There is a Silver SLC with a black hood parked in the one picture.

If that's what you're talking about, it does okay, we recently lowered it on progressive rate springs and he has his autocross rubber from his SLK32 on it that day.

Its a boat, but its a euro 4.5L with around 245HP and a 4speed manual. It's a crowd-pleaser, lots of V8 rumble, and lots of tire squealing.

He's a good friend of mine, he built the car out of a wrecked Euro 450SLC and built it into a rally car and shipped it to the Classic Adelaide Rally in Australia in 2004. Now he just takes it to shows and occasionally to autocross, his SLK32 on dedicated tires is MUCH faster, but not as dramatic.

This is him in Australia

Sidebar, I just sold my '77 450SLC today, neat cars, but tough to sell.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Yeah, SLC. I just identified the front end and thought SEC. Pretty cool. I almost bought a 560SEC the other day, so I was curious how it did.
CincinnatiFiero

Guy up here is selling a 380SEC for $1,500 and a US 500SEC for $3,000. I'm supposed to go look at them, despite not really being interested. If you're still in the market I can forward you some pics if they aren't junk.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I appreciate that. I'm not really in the market anymore, so I would probably kick myself if the 500 looked nice. I bought an '03 E39 M sport.

An SEC with AMG wheels is beautiful.

CincinnatiFiero

I'm trying to upload a pic but when I was in my bigger warehouse I used to store a euro 500SEC for a woman. Smoke silver over Brazilian brown leather. No emissions, no cats, period AMG cams, long tube headers, and exhaust. 500E 16" wheels, lowered with bigger sway bars. Nasty car, loved it. She won't part with it tragically lol.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

There's an S600 coupe for sale on the road I take to my dad's place.
CincinnatiFiero

S600s, 600SECs, and CL600s are a TON of car for the money. The W140 blew Bentleys and Rolls Royces out of the water in their day, and now $8k will buy you a really nice one.

However, like an M70 BMW, and M120 Mercedes will wage full scale assault on your wallet. Yes there's two of everything, and yes everything fails in pairs lol.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Emc209i wrote: I bought an '03 E39 M sport.
Yessssssssss...... Nice choice. Please post pics in Other Cars! The E39 is one of my favorite BMWs ever.