FD3S RX7

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

jelly2m81

Re: FD3S RX7

Post by jelly2m81 »

Series8217 wrote:Is that foam covering the dash harness?
Alot of import models are like that, theres a reason they don't creak, squeak and rattle like domestic stuff does from that era.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Dropped my car off February 2.5 years ago and JUST got it back... Basically said I'm coming to get it have it ready. I already don't like it.... It runs great from what I can tell but the tach doesn't work, the accessories work with the key in the off position... I don't want the hassle of electrical gremlins so I'll be parting it out for myself and whoever.

My new house as of June 10th. It's one of the best things I've ever bought. 5000sq/ft of living space and 2 garages!

I'm currently bidding on this RX7 in Japan. I already turned it down once because it's not originally a yellow car but I really don't care about that any more. It looks like it's in new condition and I'll just slap my A-Spec parts on it and call it a day. Original 5 speed R1, no electrical gremlins to worry about. The owner didn't get enough last week from the auction so it didn't sell but I'll put in a bid this week and hopefully get it for a decent price.

Anyways, the RX7 saga continues.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I still lust after an LS FD... but it continues to be a car I just *BARELY* fit into...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

LS fd would be really fun, reliable and get good gas mileage but I still love the rotary. I don't really care about fuel economy and there are strong parts for the 13b to fix it's weak points. Turbo boost and anti lag are just too much fun to replace.

So I officially bought a JDM fd from Japan last night.

Sorry for the crappy pics, they are all I have right now. I paid extra to get more detailed pics at the dock which I should have in a few days.

77k km grade 4 which is awesome! 48k miles, super low mileage.

It's hard to tell all the details from the pictures but it appears to have a Shine Auto front bumper like this car which looks great in my opinion.

I think I will be keeping this FD fairly stock and clean on the outside. I'm going to delete the side skirts and keep it low-key with some nice rims. I'll spend all my money under the hood and fenders. I think I will put the built motor from my yellow car into the new one and have a spare in case anything happens. Or run it till it breaks and keep my built motor as a backup, not sure.

I should have the car before Halloween, just in time for winter!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'm a bit late updating this but I got the car and drove it home a few weeks ago.

I suspect the engine has a bad coolant seal. It spits all it's coolant into the overflow through the air separator. The overflow appears to have a cracked neck so it just dumps onto the ground... Anyways, on the way home the car would overheat every 50km or so. I'd have to pull over, let it cool off for 15 or so minutes and add half a gallon of coolant.

The drive home was pretty shitty weather wise. Typical fall BC weather.

Got it home and gave it a bath the next morning. All I've done is put it in the back garage for the winter and I'll likely swap the yellow cars engine into the black car. Yellow car will be parted out.

Anyways, I'm thinking about going with a Greddy Rocket bunny kit. What do you guys think? I really like the looks of it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Better be tuckin 335's
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

lol yeah. The rocket bunny kit may have to wait a year or so. I'm pretty sure she needs a new motor, so I'll throw one in springtime. I was going to put the new motor from the yellow car into it but I'd rather just build another one and not completely part out my yellow car.I think the sale of the yellow car will pay for the rocket bunny kit, then I just need to sell some organs for some nice wheels.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Been busy spending money on the FD to hopefully have a fun car to drive this summer. I've purchased a new street ported motor that is being built right now. I've gone with the Rotary Aviation super seals (apex seals) and solid corner seals.

I've also bought a custom super short runner, low mount manifold and a Borg Warner 8374EFR. Went with a turbo that will give me 400-450whp and be super responsive. Should be 400whp at only 12-13psi and making 300lb/ft by 3500rpm, nice.

Notice no WG, the BW turbo has an internal wastegate and integral BOV

Not my engine bay but another customer of my engine builder.

I've read that these are one of the best turbos on the market. Comparing dynos with comparable turbos these seem to make power much sooner in the RPM band. I've heard nothing but good things.

Already purchased a fuel system, FMIC, downpipe yada yada. As soon as the engine is done I'll drop my car off for the swap.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Integral wastegate?!? Ewwww....

J/K

Seriously, that looks like a nice package. What's the black thing on the compressor housing? Wouldn't be an integrated MAP sensor.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

From their website
"Boost Control Solenoid Valve Integrated to Compressor Housing"

I've been reading a lot on the RX7 forums about guys running the IWG turbo up to 500+whp with E85 and have had no issues with boost creep. Lots of guys in the 440whp range with this turbo on pump gas with a stock port motor.

This is a good thread of guys talking about it. Sounds like it is the response king.
http://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo-rx- ... s-1060852/
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

FINALLY got my car back. It was away at the builders for 14 ish months....

Anyways, here are some pics. The car is dirty, sorry

Put on a new Seibon CF hood to help with heat extraction. The big killer of turbo rotaries
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4491/3660 ... f027_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4509/3731 ... e8d8_b.jpg[/img]

Have some cleaning and tidying to do in the engine bay
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4332/3660 ... a862_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4501/3660 ... 63a0_b.jpg[/img]

With the car on my new lift I still have lots of room for the wife's car underneath it.
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4466/3731 ... 33b2_b.jpg[/img]

My widebody kit has been on order for over 6 months, hopefully it will be here soon so I can get on it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Image tags not working anymore?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

IMG tags not working since forum software update.

Sweeet mang! Great you got your car back!

Needs moar LS? :roll:

Too soon? :wink:
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The dorito lust is strong.

Looking great!

(is that a pvc drainpipe 90 out of the turbo?)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's a plastic charge pipe of some sort. Now that I have the car back I'll be changing everything I don't like about it, including that boost pipe.

Took it for it's first legal drive today. She is straightpipe and loud but I love it lol. Didn't get into boost because I'm in the break in period before I take it to get dyno tuned. Likely in the spring now cause we likely have less than a month of no snow left. Could be a lot sooner.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Do you still have the yellow car?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nope, basically traded it for the labor cost of building this car. Good trade for me, it wasn't really worth anything.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I ordered a set of Advan TCIII wheels for my car last April and they are just now arriving. They should be here on Friday but it's still winter so there won't be any update pics coming for a while.

The car should look pretty close to this when the wheels are put on

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

long time no see, welcome back. I've always liked FC's, and FD's, good looking cars, it'll look sharp with those wheels. have you been driving it with the new turbo yet?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Damn. Smooth.

Makes me want an LS FD instead of a Corvette.