FD3S RX7

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: FD3S RX7

Post by crzyone »

The 350 sold in USA were only R1, guess the JDM market had CYM cars that were not R1. Not sure how many
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

crzyone wrote: Also found out my yellow car isn't an R1. The dual oil coolers turned out to be one oil cooler and one trani cooler. Doesn't matter, I grabbed and installed the dual coolers from the red car and put them in the new one. Also swapped seats, put the R1 suede seats into my car. So the only R1 feature my car is missing is the shocks, but it doesn't matter, I will be installing aftermarket coil overs anyways. So my car is an "R1" now.
Is there a VIN lookup anywhere for RX7's? That would tell you for sure whether it was built as an R1 or not. Maybe the autotragic R1's got the oil + trans cooler instead of the dual engine oil coolers?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
crzyone wrote: Also found out my yellow car isn't an R1. The dual oil coolers turned out to be one oil cooler and one trani cooler. Doesn't matter, I grabbed and installed the dual coolers from the red car and put them in the new one. Also swapped seats, put the R1 suede seats into my car. So the only R1 feature my car is missing is the shocks, but it doesn't matter, I will be installing aftermarket coil overs anyways. So my car is an "R1" now.
Is there a VIN lookup anywhere for RX7's? That would tell you for sure whether it was built as an R1 or not. Maybe the autotragic R1's got the oil + trans cooler instead of the dual engine oil coolers?
My guess is that the R1 was not available with an automatic.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hence the VIN lookup...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I just sent an importer a lot of money for this bumper.

It's in Japan and will be comming over in one of his containers. I expect to have it in 2-3 months from now. Not in a huge hurry since I'm not painting until next spring.

Didn't like the idea of fixing the other bumper I had. This way I will have an authentic, near mint bumper to work with. It's lights have some cracks but I have perfect lights to use in my yellow bumper. I'm pretty excited about this :D

+

=
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Sweeet.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

As of this morning I have won the auction, pretty excited to get this bumper. It's going to be a long wait.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/153606990
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Congratulations!

While I have had success waiting until the auction is over and calling the seller, that's harder with a Japanese seller! :crazy: And watching the time run out with you as the winner is a thrill! :-D

Was there big demand for that part? Or did the shrinking FD3S market mean that you didn't have too many people bidding against you?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's been on there for over a month. It's also been listed at a starting bid of about $1000 since the start. If the lights were in mint shape it would have been bought instantly. I just happen to be lucky enough to have a set of mint condition lenses to put on the bumper from my yellow one.

I just lucked upon the auction while searching for A-Spec FDs on Google. I bet there is less then 10 A-Spec FDs in the States and I might be the only one in Canada. Total cost of the wheels, bumper and wing will be about $5-6k, but I think it will be worth it in the end. The paint job will probably be another $6-8k.... Another money pit!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It's an expensive hobby... that's for sure. I'd like to get the Ferrari painted body-off to avoid a bill quite *that* big, but I'll have to pay a hefty paint bill at some point.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Paint isn't cheap because the few guys who are good are aware of how many fucking terrible painters there are farting out fisheyed dirt-filled piles of crap still for a few grand.

I saw a paint quote for $38,000 the other day lol. Granted it was on a $750,000 car.

That's why I buy recently painted cars with blown motors, I can't afford paint that meets my standards lol.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Alright, another small update. Just purchased a set of "new" front fenders. As you can see from this pic, mine were mangled from the previous owner running wheels and tires that were way too big for the car with bad offsets.

So I came across a for sale thread yesterday for nearly mint fenders. They will be on their way from NC on Monday.

My car is going to look like a basket case when I put on the black A-Spec bumper, white fenders and black wing on a yellow car. Plan is to get it painted in the spring, or this winter whenever I get all the parts installed on the car.

About a month ago I brought my car back to Conroy at 4KRUZN (my engine builder) to install my new HKS Hipermax coilovers. I traded the auto drivetrain and engine for them plus some other work on the car. He said my car was in good shape suspension wise, there was one bushing on each side that had slight play so we pressed in brand new Mazda bushings. Eventually after everything is done body wise I'll start upgrading the suspension furthur with Durlin bushings, sway bars and likely a big brake kit. I bought Hawk HP+ brake pads for all 4 corners but have yet to install them. Should help brake fade in the mean time.

A few days ago I started tearing apart my dash to get to the one connector that doesn't mate up between the manual engine harness and the auto's front engine harness. I have to admit that most automotive wiring is a little intimidating to me, just because I don't work with it very often. There is a pretty good writeup on RX7club on how to repin the connectors to make it work. I'm going to attempt it on my next days off so I can get this thing running under it's own steam.
http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-s ... on-222574/

The basterd conenctors

I pretty much don't have any consecutive days off for a few weeks so the next update might be a ways a way. I still have to install my new larger aluminum radiator and my Greddy stock mount intercooler. I'll take some pics when I do.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

You financed this shit too, didn't you... ?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nope. Unlike most of the rest of the world, Alberta isn't in a recession.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

3 Months and a couple thousand bucks later it has arrived! Glad to see it made it in such good shape. The lenses are cracked like I expected but I have the ones from my yellow bumper to replace them with.

If it wasn't raining so bad lately I'd have it on by now but all my projects are coming to a pause. Getting married on Monday in Vegas, by Elvis :-D

Be back in a week. :beer:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote: If it wasn't raining so bad lately I'd have it on by now but all my projects are coming to a pause. Getting married on Monday in Vegas, by Elvis :-D

Be back in a week. :beer:
I saw you mentioned that elsewhere and meant to say something.

Congratulations! :-D

Don't be like Prince Harry... :wink:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Congrats Levi. I loved Vegas. Put $5 on 00 Green for me
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

After looking online for ages trying to find RHD rx7 wiring diagrams I gave up. I bought a front harness for a 5 speed car from Australia ($500 later...)

Taking the auto harness out and putting the manual one in is another ordeal. So I made my buddy do it! I'm not sure when I switched from doing my own work to paying for it but it sure is easier on my knuckles and sanity.

Also bought a propper 5 speed dash harness. Spending the money to do it right. There won't be an auto part left in this car when I'm done.

So hopefully soon the car will be back together but this time with the A-Spec bumper on the front. After that it's time for paint.

No other updates really. Installing a larger rad and my Greddy SMIC (stock mount intercooler) at the same time. I also have an Apexi Power FC (standalone ecu) and I already installed my HKS downpipe to go with the rest of my exhaust. Going to shoot for around 300whp and call it good. Keeping the stock sequential twins for response.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Is that foam covering the dash harness?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yup. Not sure why JDM cars are like that.