FD3S RX7

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: FD3S RX7

Post by crzyone »

First, and last race of the season for me on Sunday. Going to take the RX7 and see what she can do. Lowered the front of the car 2-2.5" and got an alignment. It almost looks like a different car in person. The picture doesn't really convey how low the top of the hood is.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Track day, I assume?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's an autocross set up by the RX7 club, so it's more of a high speed autocross. They only allowed 20 cars to register ao I imagine we will get a lot of track time. I believe they do it in a lapping format, not just one run at a time.

It's going to give me a good shakedown of the RX7. It's gone through a couple inspections, everything is tight. No leaks anywhere and as far as I can tell it runs like a brand new 7.

The tires I'm running are Toyo T1R 235/40 17 in front and 255/40 17 in the rear. They are a good high performance street tire but they won't be as good as I want them to be. Next set of tires will be 200 or less treadware or even R-Comps. I'm even tempted to try the new Falken Azenis. They have a new compound which is supposed to be a lot less greasy when they get hot. It might be an option. They have always lasted a long time on the street and since I have usually a 2 hour drive to the track, that's a good thing.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Have some fun! The car looks great! I hope you get some video.

I was hoping to have my car together for the last SCCA autox of the season this saturday, but I ended up getting my driveway replaced so my RX8 is stuck in the garage till next week. Oh well. I'll have to wait till next year...
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I really want to get The Mule to some track days next summer.
Last opportunity of the season for dragstrip T+T is tomorrow, but I don't think I'll make it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Don't worry, I feel your guys pain. This is just my first event due to not having a running car all summer. Next year I will have my GTR with the FD as a backup or occasional racer.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It was a a decent track day. I think I'm officially done with auto x though. Too slow and too much waiting time.

Car did well, no complaints. Took me about 4 or 5 laps to find the limits of the car. It's amazing hw this thing grips and remains neutral sround corners. Easy to control at the limit as well. Way better than my GTR at autocross. We'll see how it does at road racing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Looks like it was horrible weather, too.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Sarcasm? lol... It looks nice, but in the morning it was c-c-c fucking freezing. -8 at 6am when I woke up (18F) and a high of 9 (48F) No heat to be had in the tires.

I've been buying parts like crazy lately trying to get the car to the point I want it engine wise.

The car came with a cat back so I bought an HKS downpipe. Recently bought a Greddy SMIC (stock mount intercooler), HKS EVC boost controller, Supra TT fuel pump, 4x850cc injectors, Apexi PFC, Apexi Intakes and an air pump delete pulley.

Anything I'm missing? Keeping the stock twins, and I'd be happy with anything above 300whp. Engine is a street port, so with the stock twins I think these mods will be all I need to support the engine. I am thinking of stealing the AEM water/meth kit from my GTR to put on the 7 as a just in case.

There was a thread on rx7 club describing how to put LS2 truck coils on a 13B, so I'll also do that mod before summer. That will fix any blowout issues I might run into when I tune at a higher boost level.

Still looking for an intake kit for the car to get rid of all the rubber pipes in the engine bay.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I like that 3 of 13 cars at the RX7 club autocross are RX7s.

Autocross brings out everyone haha, I race with MBCA and usually only 5-6 of the 20-25 cars are Mercedes.

Get that later version front bumper on there!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I like that 3 of 13 cars at the RX7 club autocross are RX7s.

Autocross brings out everyone haha, I race with MBCA and usually only 5-6 of the 20-25 cars are Mercedes.

Get that later version front bumper on there!
There were a total of 4 RX7s, only 3 of us raced. They are open to everyone just because this time of year there are not too many racing.

Spring time my car will be built. I will probably take the bumpers and wing in early to get them prepped.

I decided to use my Mazdaspeed front bumper. It was damaged when it came with my previous RX7 and was missing the cross piece in the bumper opening.

I wasn't even sure it was a mazdaspeed until I went to my storage unit and had a closer look. I'm going to use it instead of the replica I have because I know the fit will be perfect.

Replica. This cost me a lot more than I thought it would just for a bumper I bought for the cross piece. I'm piecing 2 bumpers together because finding another authentic MS bumper would be next to impossible.

Finding an authentic Mazdaspeed A-Spec wing was also difficult. This one came from Malasia.

So I will be contacting someone to do the prep on both of these pieces before the car goes for paint. Need someone that's good with fiberglass.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just realized how much cooler this is than doing a Knight Rider replica...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the 7 really looks small next to all those other cars. It just shows how big cars have gotten now a days. Hell the new turbo genesis from hyundai is larger dimensionally than a mk4 supra.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It is small, and you really feel it when you drive it. parked beside the GTR in the garage it looks like David and Goliath. You pretty much look up to anybody that stops beside you.

I did my first douche move with the car. I wanted a big mack, and I usually walk into the restaraunt when I drive a rhd car, but it's closed for renovations. The drivethru is still open so I drove backwards. The kids at the till and pick up window got a kick out of it but I felt like a knob lol... :pardon:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I was on the cannon crew when I was at Virginia Tech... Somewhere there's a picture of us driving the S10 we used to pull the cannon through a drive through with tinderbox and cannon in tow.

I don't know if people forget that the best way to keep a car light is to keep it small or what...

The McLaren F1 is *tiny* compared to anything else that has 12 cylinders in the middle.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That would have been a sight to see haha...

All cars are big, even the new sporty ones. The Miata has grown larger and heavier with every generation. The new FT-86 is supposed to be inspired by the AE86 but it looks like it will be another bloated heavy car. Thanks for the boxer engine and rwd, but they forgot to keep it small and light.

I would love to be able to buy a 2200lb RWD car like you could in the 80s.

It actually amazes me what they can do with heavy cars. The GTR is 3800lbs and a completely mental rocket ship.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Other than the AE86, what 2200# RWD car was built in the '80's? A Chevette?

Anything will go fast if you put enough HP in it... A GTR is crazy at 530 HP, but would be even crazier at 2800# instead of 3800. At 2800#, my AWD BMW project will have the same power to weight ratio as a new GTR with "only" 400 HP.

Did they revise the GTR transmission, or does it blow up even more quickly now with 530 than it did with 485?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I think they revised the launch feature. Hell, you can blow a regular clutch/trani with 20 hard launches. Why don't people understand the stresses of launching a 3800lb car with a computer assisted clutch dump... That would be a workout for all but the most expensive and built clutches/transmissions. I think the Enzo was actually rated for a certain number of launches, like 10 or so.

And the Miata was born in 89 weighing 2100lbs :-D
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I thought the Enzo's launch limit was based on clutch wear, not transmission longevity.

Stock DSM gearboxes are good for more than 20 max-effort launches.

That's a concern I have with Bad Idea... The ZF transmission is only rated for 310 Nm. I'm going to get the car running using that, sort the suspension, brakes, DME and such. Later I'll swap to a T56 or TR6060.

Why a TR6060 rated for 650 ftlbs when the engine I'll be using has 375? Becuase I'm building this car to beat the ever living @#%^ out of it driving it like a 17 year old. Like a 4L80E swap into a Syclone... break stand it at every stoplight and leave four black marks because you can.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I thought the Enzo's launch limit was based on clutch wear, not transmission longevity.
Missed this. The GTR wears out it's clutches which are inside the trani. That's why it's a $20k bill for parts and labor to get done at Nissan. I have not heard of any problems with anything passed 1st year GTRs. Either the problem was corrected by Nissan or people are not abusing them like they were.

RX7 is officially put away for the winter. They sanded and salted the roads, kind of premature since it has not snowed yet but any moisture passed Halloween is usually snow. Washed her up and pulled it into the garage.

Finally after 9 years of owning this house, I am installing a heater in the garage so I can do some major winter surgury to the GTR and RX7. Just used a propane heater before but I don't like waiting 3 hours for it to warm up and the fumes get to me after a few hours lol...

I need a garage that I can have 2 projects side by side. This one is too small, have to move one out and the other to the middle just to have enough space. I may be adding to the back of it another 20 feet or so with a 12' high celing for a 2 post car lift. Othe roption is to knock this one down, pour the cement larger and rebuild.

RX7 makes my GTR look huge.