FD3S RX7

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: FD3S RX7

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

So you're parking the 7 where you used to park the Fiero...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yup, the car that goes in and out of the driveway more often gets the right side. My driveway is angled to the garage so it's easiest. GTR is still on the injured reserve.

Lots of fun projects over the years.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I was referring to the oil stain under the back bumper... :P
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If you are talking about the fresh looking stain, that's just water dripping from the car wash.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I've don't some things that were waaaaay overdue. I installed a natural gas heater in my garage, and installed flourescent lighting. It's actually NICE to be in there when it's cold. No more propane fumes and lots of light to see in the engine bays. I still plan on installing 2 more lights but it's 100% better than it was.

Don't mind the wires just hanging, going to put them in conduit. Too bad the previous owner drywalled without putting provisions for more lighting on the ceiling.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

One step closer to my dream RX7.

Today I traded my red RX7 for a CYM (Competition Yellow Mica) RX7. This is the color I was going to paint my Red RX7, but now that I have this car I don't have to do a color change which would be very expensive and I would still be missing the yellow engine bay and trunk.

There were only 350 CYM RX7s sold in the US, and probably fewer in Japan making it a very rare car. They were only produced for one year, 1993. The CYM cars only came in R1 meaning the dual oil coolers, cloth seats and no sunroof.

The paint is very faded, but that's ok. Since I only have to paint the outside shell, and it's such a small car it won't be that expensive.

There is only one problem with this car... .It's an automatic. It's rare to find an Auto R1, and this could possibly be the only Auto CYM in existance. I don't care, it's getting a 5 speed swapped in. The owner of my old car asked if I would be willing to buy the drivetrain from the red car and I told him I would. Along with all the parts I'll need to make the new one a manual car. So in March when I get my bonus I'll help him pull everything from my old car to put into this car. I know it's a good engine, it's a brand new Super seal 13b.

So here are some pics. I know it looks faded as hell and dirty but that doesn't matter to me. It will be repainted CYM to freshen it up.

The front fenders need some repair and one of the original headlight covers is missing. So it has a silver one for now.

This is what I wanted. A color matched engine bay

and trunk

This car's interior is in better shape as well. Most are missing the passenger door handle and ashtray etc. This one also has some fancier seats. Still cloth but nicer looking.

I'm not going to pull the drivetrain until I for sure have the new one sitting next to the car. I'm pretty excited about this project.

I can't wait until it looks like this with my Mazdaspeed bumper :D

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Awesomez!
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The value of the rare R1 option wasn't the stupid BS like dual oil coolers, cloth seats and no sunroof. It was that it would do 1g right off the showroom floor. That means the suspension was right, and shouldn't be changed in any way at any time for any reason. Nothing to be gained by trying it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

A Daewoo will corner at 1G with sticky tires.

There's no such thing as perfect. The design of every system produced by humans is the result of a series of compromises that are the result of design trades performed with specific priorities. If you change those priorities, you'll end up at a different design.

Meaning... do you really think that the FD's handling would not be improved with spherical bearings instead of rubber bushings? Or a host of other mods?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The auto setup means it'll be even easier to do a 383/TH350 swap!

That said you get all the cool trades, I only get offered trades by dumbasses. Like I'm selling my rust free F250 and all the trade offers I get are much older rusty F150s.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, the automatic will make it especially good at drag racing, considering it's turbo right now! :wink:

Definitely would want a 4L80E in that car, though.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Are you brain-damaged, or just being a wise-arse?
Put those sticky tires on the stock R1, it'll do 1.3g. But your James-May act is missing the point.
The R1 is like the original Ford Lightning, and the '79 T/A WS6: Once the perfect combination of spring rates, bushing durometers, anti-roll bars, shock damping, and tires has been discovered, let alone offered for mass production ( truly rare ) you have to be mental ( in the worst way ) to fork with it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The suspension will be getting coilovers, derlin bushings and probably different roll bars. I don't want a cushy ride, I want it to be more track oriented. With the stock suspension it looks like a 4x4, sits way too high.

Pretty much every stock suspension can be improved. Especialy 20 year old suspension. I have a bump steer correction kit for when I lower the car as well.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:The auto setup means it'll be even easier to do a 383/TH350 swap!

That said you get all the cool trades, I only get offered trades by dumbasses. Like I'm selling my rust free F250 and all the trade offers I get are much older rusty F150s.
I saw this car for sale and I offered to trade him. I pointed out it would be much easier to sell a manual RX7 than an auto. I have the resources to do a full swap so it's no big deal. Afterwards he asked if I wanted to buy my old drivetrain along with everything to make it a manual car and I took him up on it. Guess he is going to do a live axel V-8 with an auto. He is into drag racing and already has an FB with a V-8.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

We must just race for fun, because there's nothing else to figure out after you have a 1g skidpad number that totally encompasses every aspect of a car's handling.

What I was getting at with the Daewoo comment is that high g numbers are primarily the result of sticky tires. Geometry does allow the car to make the best use of tires, but great geometry with crappy tires still won't pull high g numbers. As long as the suspension stays off the bump stops, the tuning is fine for the skidpad.

That being said, more consistent geometry may not allow the car to post a higher skidpad number, but they will make the car more consistent in its body motions and use of the tires, enhancing driver confidence.

Spring and damper tuning is influenced by a myriad of factors. There is no "perfect" tune up for any given suspension. That's why manufacturers have sunk so much money into adjustable damping and magneto-rheological computer controlled dampers. In addition to spring/damper tuning, driving through dynamic chassis loading demands things of the geometry that skidpad work does not, like roll center stability, roll axis inclination and stability, etc.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Atilla the Fun wrote:Y'all ever been in a musty old library, with a matching librarian who isn't there for the paycheck? What she says is law while you're in her domain. Well, power recipes for SBCs is my domain, and I tolerate no insubordination, from anyone, ever.
If you're going to take this attitude about engine building, then DO *NOT* presume to lecture me about suspension design and tuning.

Or we could just admit that we each know some things about some things, but no one knows everything about every thing.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I would seriously look into how many auto cars with that color were made. If it is 1 of 1 then its is rare, and I bet some collector out there is looking for it. Not saying you would sell it, or that you still wouldn't modify it, but it could be a rare ass car.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'll keep the auto trani tucked in a corner, but as long as I have it it'll have a clutch pedal.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Last weekend I did a ton of work to the car. Dragged it 4 hours south to where the owner of my other car lives and swapped out the drivetrain. Arrived around 7pm on Friday and left about 6pm on Monday... Put in 13 hour days wrenching, but got it just about done.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I don't know why I thought it was going to be so easy... I've pulled the engine before, but not the whole driveline including dash clusters and wiring harnesses. I pulled both drivetrains out and installed the engine and transmission from the red car into my new yellow car.

Only thing I didn't get, and I'm going back on Tuedsay to get is a second dash harness and the rear diff. There are subtle and annoying differences between the auto and manual RX7s, such as a larger thicker driveshaft for the auto and a different bolt spacing on the auto diff. What the hell is the point of that??? The auto diff is a 3:90 and the manual is a 4:10. Since I do plan on keeping this car more sporty and don't mind sacraficing a little bit of fuel I will be using the 4:10 diff.

Also found out my yellow car isn't an R1. The dual oil coolers turned out to be one oil cooler and one trani cooler. Doesn't matter, I grabbed and installed the dual coolers from the red car and put them in the new one. Also swapped seats, put the R1 suede seats into my car. So the only R1 feature my car is missing is the shocks, but it doesn't matter, I will be installing aftermarket coil overs anyways. So my car is an "R1" now.

So as it sits, my car is back home. No driveshaft installed, still has the auto diff in it. After my days off, if I have enough time before friday it should be complete and running. Don't HAVE to swap out all the dash harnesses, but it makes easier in the long run to have all the proper connectors right off the bat. It will let me get rid of the bulkier heavier auto harnesses which had a separate ecu for the transmission and a whole bunch of additional connectors.

Currently have the compete auto driveline for sale. Would make a neat driveline for someone building a unique hotrod. Can even give them the correct engine and dash harnesses.

Will update after Wednesday if anything happens. It was one hell of a busy weekend!
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

So does that mean your car wasn't always yellow? I though the CYM only came in r1