I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: Subaru Apocalypse Wagon

Post by Aaron »

Turbo or the female version?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:Turbo or the female version?
http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =9&t=18005
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:

*THAT* thread still says you're getting an X5...
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:

*THAT* thread still says you're getting an X5...
Yeah, sorry, I was going to post my reply there but I got distracted :-P
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Apocalypse Wagon threw it's timing belt today while I was at 3000 rpm on the freeway coming home from work. I guess it's time to start thinking about a turbo swap or something else again. Argh.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I thought you sold this?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

ericjon262 wrote:I thought you sold this?
Nope, I went to Europe in May and returned home to find that my landlords wanted to stop renting for the first time in 20 years so they could move back into their house. So I had to move AGAIN. And I started a new job. Haven't had time to do anything with cars at all.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

that's pretty shitty...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

BMW M20's are notorious interference engines... since the E30's and similar they came in are old, beaten up and have lousy maintenance records, many people just change the timing belt when they buy a car. My dad did exactly that on the '87 325iS that he bought for my mom right after I got back from Iraq in 2010. That car popped its timing belt just a month or two ago. It probably hasn't covered 30k miles on that belt (although I should check the mileage to verify).

I also did a combo head gasket & timing belt job on a friend's '98 legacy a few years back, while keeping the engine in the car. That wasn't much fun.

Cliff's Notes: Timing belts suck
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:BMW M20's are notorious interference engines... since the E30's and similar they came in are old, beaten up and have lousy maintenance records, many people just change the timing belt when they buy a car. My dad did exactly that on the '87 325iS that he bought for my mom right after I got back from Iraq in 2010. That car popped its timing belt just a month or two ago. It probably hasn't covered 30k miles on that belt (although I should check the mileage to verify).

I also did a combo head gasket & timing belt job on a friend's '98 legacy a few years back, while keeping the engine in the car. That wasn't much fun.

And yet, of all things, my track-driven 3.4 DOHC V6 Fiero has never had a timing belt problem.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:BMW M20's are notorious interference engines... since the E30's and similar they came in are old, beaten up and have lousy maintenance records, many people just change the timing belt when they buy a car. My dad did exactly that on the '87 325iS that he bought for my mom right after I got back from Iraq in 2010. That car popped its timing belt just a month or two ago. It probably hasn't covered 30k miles on that belt (although I should check the mileage to verify).

And yet, of all things, my track-driven 3.4 DOHC V6 Fiero has never had a timing belt problem.

lol, that's funny
ClydeGan

Post by ClydeGan »

Cool wagon, I love that camo on it.