New Ride

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Indy

New Ride

Post by Indy »

Manivan. :-D 2011 Traverse LTZ AWD, black on tan. Bought it last month with 15K on the ticker.

Covered in an extra thick layer of dirt and bugs for the pics.

Drives really nice. Handling is suprisingly good, given how comfortably it rides. It has a good 1000lb on my Equinox but can outhandle it very easily. For that matter it outhandles pretty much every regular sedan I've driven (Taurus, Sable, GA, GP, etc.) Gets bad gas mileage.
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
CincinnatiFiero

Re: New Ride

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Needs intake, exhaust, and a lot more low. Break out the lathe sir.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Financed or bought? If the latter, congrats on being able to do so sir. If financed, an Aztek is probably a better looking deal. I saw the tail of that SUV the other day and thought to myself a stray VW Touareg must have gotten into the Chevy Malibu breeding ground. Hate to be negative, but have to be honest. Hope you enjoy it though.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Transverse or Longi?

Pimped one of these as a rental with the Batallion XO for a couple of days before the recent FEX... almost ashamed to say I didn't pop the hood.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Transverse, it's the HF 3.6. Battery mounted in the floor in front of the 2nd row seating %) . Honestly I'm not sure how all the AWD bits are arranged, I haven't got it up on jackstands yet. From what I've heard it's got an electronic clutched center diff that's open most of the time (50/50 split). I was messing around on the gravel roads yesterday, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way it handles the AWD. With the traction control off (nanny stab. control still on of course) it was putting enough power to the rear wheels to get the back end to step out quite a ways, even while accelerating through tight downhill corners that other FWD vehicles would just push through. With the traction control on, going around the same corners, it just kept everything in line without any excessive throttling (a major complaint I have with my Equinox). I was pleasantly suprised.

And financed. :cry:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Indy wrote:Transverse, it's the HF 3.6. Battery mounted in the floor in front of the 2nd row seating %) . Honestly I'm not sure how all the AWD bits are arranged, I haven't got it up on jackstands yet. From what I've heard it's got an electronic clutched center diff that's open most of the time (50/50 split). I was messing around on the gravel roads yesterday, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way it handles the AWD. With the traction control off (nanny stab. control still on of course) it was putting enough power to the rear wheels to get the back end to step out quite a ways, even while accelerating through tight downhill corners that other FWD vehicles would just push through. With the traction control on, going around the same corners, it just kept everything in line without any excessive throttling (a major complaint I have with my Equinox). I was pleasantly suprised.

And financed. :cry:
How does the electronic throttle feel? Do you know if the center diff is built into the transaxle or if it has a Haldex type setup with the center diff and rear diff both in a rear mounted unit and the driveshaft just gear off the front diff?

More on the topic of stability control than anything else:
My 535 is the first car I've ever owned with electronic throttle and traction control. I'm generally impressed with how well sorted it is. From the driver's seat, I can't tell it's not a cable throttle. Can't say the same for my buddy's '06ish Tacoma. In a hard corner, the TC will pull throttle and have about 95% of the effectiveness of stability control... To go beyond the capabilities of this simple level of stability control, you'd *really* have to fuck up, and if you fuck up that badly, modern stability control would simply make sure you crash nose first. Makes me wonder about the human race, when NHTSA is now mandating stability control due to demonstrated reduction in accidents.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The throttle is okay. Above 4000RPM throttle response is instantaneous. Below that it's a little like sending the engine commands by telegram. It leads to situations where if I want to accelerate briskly but stay in the same gear the PCM cooperates for 5-6 seconds THEN kicks down a gear and goes to town. There's not really a one-to-one function, pedal position to output. I know from first gear starts that the engine could be making much, much more power at the same RPM at X % throttle. Instead it wants to lolligag and as soon as you hit X + 1 % throttle, it reads that as game on, take out all the stops, even if you're only looking for moderate acceleration.

It seems to be getting better. I've read that the PCM is very adaptive regarding driving style. I'm just not sure who/what is changing. In any case for as practical (i.e. big) as it is and for only having moderate power it's actually really fun to drive.

I'm not sure about the drivetrain arrangement yet. For posterity:

Code: Select all

6T75 RPO MH6
  First	4.48
  Second	2.87
  Third	1.84
  Fourth	1.41
  Fifth	1.00
  Sixth	0.74
  FD          3.16
  Reverse	2.88
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domest ... 7&butID=16
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Direct injection + 11.3 compression and it still gets bad gas mileage? Does that say something about the vehicle or your driving style? :wink:
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

No, the fuel economy on those beasts is just bad period.
<Insert Sig Here>
CincinnatiFiero

I drove a Buick Enclave from Columbus to Florida, I can't remeber the fuel economy, I think it was like 22? I remember for a 6speed automatic with DI it was far from impressive when I've seen 19-20 out of past 5300 Suburbans on the same drive.

They ride nice, and perform pretty well, I liked it. I will say the transmission felt like it was shifting all the time though.
CincinnatiFiero

Indy wrote:snipped about response

Do they sell anything like they do for some of the european cars (the ladies A4 in mind) where it plugs into the drive by wire pedal then back into the car to sharpen up the response? It makes the throttle start to open a lot faster as if you had an actual cable there.

No I've never tried one.