8217's E46 M3 - Stage 1 (Chassis & Suspension)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: 8217's E46 M3 - Stage 1 (Chassis & Suspension)

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Hmm... interesting. I guess that's not surprising considering the CSL's limited production numbers.

I know there are aftermarket pieces... do any of them use BMW's sealed ball joints or are they all rod ends?
Yeah, some of them do, or at least some similar sealed ball joint. For example, here are the Ground Control Premium adjustable arms: http://store.bimmerworld.com/ground-con ... p1294.aspx
I've been wondering about finding some raw fittings like the housings into which the ball joints are pressed... You don't have any leads right off do you?
Not off the top of my head. You're looking for a forged eyelet with rod-end sized threads right? How close are the '88 Fiero adjustable lateral link parts?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 8217's E46 M3 - Stage 1 (Chassis & Suspension)

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote: Yeah, some of them do, or at least some similar sealed ball joint. For example, here are the Ground Control Premium adjustable arms: http://store.bimmerworld.com/ground-con ... p1294.aspx
I wonder how much those bow under load... pretty slender columns.
Series8217 wrote: Not off the top of my head. You're looking for a forged eyelet with rod-end sized threads right?
The part is called a "solid rod end". Typically the shelf units have large OD's and small holes (IE, same size hole as threaded shank). I've found some with a large enough head OD that a single boring operation could open the through hole up for a light press on a ball joint like the Mercedes Lemforder unit.
However, on units with the head that large, the shank is typically 3/4 or 7/8".