crzyone wrote:Done :)
Thanks!
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 8217's E46 M3 - Stage 2 (V8 Swap)

Post by Aaron »

Subscribing
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:http://www.gadgetgangster.com/news/54-new-projects/556

DIY CAN bus cracker... I think
That's a typical CAN interface with some extra goodies onboard. That INPA program he runs is the factory BMW software for diagnostics and firmware reflashing. The hardware is similar to my Scandash project but without a built-in display. Cool either way. Nice find!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... -that-WORK!!!

Cliff's: Uses RX8 LS swap headers and they work better than anything else on the market, but not perfect.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Vorshlag is selling theirs already, so unless money is an issue, no reason to not go to Vorshlag's.

Neither one works for CA smog though.

That reminds me, I need to bug Terry Fair again about test-fitting my manifolds.. I sent him a few sets a year or two ago and I haven't heard anything for awhile.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Clean install, and I understand the packaging, and bang for the buck aspect of the swap, but I still struggle to really get into this. LS swaps are in EVERYTHING, and losing the S52 seems to take away the character of the car. Though an E46 M3 is a superior chassis to just about anything an LS was offered in from the factory, and the car itself and interior are of superior build quality. If you do this Steven next time I'm in California I need a ride, I want to know if it still "feels" like a BMW, just with 500hp.

I rode in an E34 LSx car, and it was fast as shit and had tons of suspension mods, and we were on a track and it was very quick. However this was pretty early on in BMW LS swap days, it had a cut center console to clear the shifter, and the firebird gauge cluster roughly stuffed in a cut up dash. I gather you can pretty much not alter the interior anymore. Maybe that would turn me off less.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

It's going to be awhile before I get around to the V8 swap portion of this build. I originally intended the E46 M3 to replace the Fiero as my track car, but it has not done so and will not anytime soon. The Fiero is more fun at the track, and I'm ready to take the little P-body to the next level first.
LS swaps are in EVERYTHING, and losing the S52 seems to take away the character of the car.
It's an S54 in the E46.

I actually like the S54 quite a bit more than I originally thought I would, but I still feel like the motor is too small for the character of the car. It looks and feels like a muscle car. Heavy steering, low slung, big wheels and tires... this car can only be made better with a bigger motor.

BTW I forgot to update this thread, but I do have the car now, and some of you even saw it on my cross-country tour. http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 20#p149106
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

That was a typo on my part, I knew S52 was E36, brief error, you'll have to forgive the Benz guy. :-D

I would imagine the on track characteristics of a heavily modified light MR and a big German grand touring FR car are immensely different.

I think an S62 swap would make for a keeping it in the family poor mans M3 GTR. But I'm sure will can tell us given the cost of take out s62s, engine management, and systems integration you'd have to he a wealthy poor man. And the power difference between an S62 and an S54 isn't all that substantial given the cost. And to get another 100hp out of an s62 would take an exponential amount more cash than an LSx.

I "get" it, a Chevy motor in a BMW just makes me feel dirty lol.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

BMW engines are expensive to modify, that's for sure.

The S65 is the new hottness for those seeking N/A V8 power. With an extra liter of displacement S62 makes a ton more torque, but the S65 can bump up its N/A power pretty easily and turns 8500 RPM without breaking a sweat. It pushes low 400's to the wheels with bolt on mods... To hit that number with an S62, you'll need full exhaust including long tubes (which come stock on the S65) and maybe ported heads as well as dyno tuning as mail order tune won't get you there.

The front sump on the S62 makes this engine very difficult to install in E36 and E46 chassis. I don't know what brake booster clearance problems there may be, but I haven't seen much about that for LS/E36 and LS/E46 combos.

The S65 AIUI has a rear sump, so would be a better fit in the E46.

The LS is definitely cheaper, definitely smaller, definitely makes more power more easily, possibly lighter and absolutely WAY more easily modified than and S65, though... which are all the reasons LS engines are constantly swapped.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:It's an S54 in the E46.

I actually like the S54 quite a bit more than I originally thought I would, but I still feel like the motor is too small for the character of the car. It looks and feels like a muscle car. Heavy steering, low slung, big wheels and tires... this car can only be made better with a bigger motor.
I was impressed with the S54's low end torque delivery when I drove Steven's car. Everything I've heard about it says that not only does it scream on the top end, but it has a broad full power curve thanks to the dual VANOS. It certainly has spectacular specific torque, and betters the S62, S65 and S85 in that regard.

However, every compliment you can give that engine, can be taken away immediately by following it with "...for a 3.2". It makes great top end power... for a 3.2. It pulls hard on the low end... for a 3.2. The S54 just isn't big enough to make impressive power.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think I had the same impressions exactly of Steven's car. And man that trans. I didn't know if I hated it or loved it. I still don't.