Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swap?)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

FieroWanaBe1

Re: Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swap?)

Post by FieroWanaBe1 »

I have PDF copies of the Ferrari workshop/owners manuals from the 308-430. Chassis data is included in the 308, if your interested. Unless you already have them.
I would also be interested in running the Ferrari suspension geometry through the lotus raven software, which I have installed.
Attachments
2017-03-25_10-45-55.png
2017-03-25_10-45-55.png (112.83 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Thanks!

I have soft copies of the workshop manual, but haven't looked all the way through them yet.

I also would like to run the geometry through a simulation to evaluate its performance. I'm certainly not above reworking it if it can be better.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:I don't think the GM brake would be sacrilege, you're building a "restomod", you're not restoring a ferrari. that being said, I'm pretty sure willwood makes a parking brake caliper. The caliper is separate from the hydraulic one, so there is added weight and possibly complexity, but would it weigh as much as the GM in hat drum? maybe, maybe not.

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Caliper ... Mechanical

they also have dual action calipers like the fiero had stock, but they're single piston and probably too boring for what you're building...
Other than the need for a steel hat (is it really a need, though?), the drum in hat setup can be very light. The GM setup has a cast iron block that houses the lever mechanism to apply the brake. That MAY be feasible to reproduce in billet aluminum to save a few ounces of unsprung weight.

I have my eye on a full set of Brembo calipers from a 355 for my car's brakes.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote:I don't think the GM brake would be sacrilege, you're building a "restomod", you're not restoring a ferrari. that being said, I'm pretty sure willwood makes a parking brake caliper. The caliper is separate from the hydraulic one, so there is added weight and possibly complexity, but would it weigh as much as the GM in hat drum? maybe, maybe not.

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Caliper ... Mechanical

they also have dual action calipers like the fiero had stock, but they're single piston and probably too boring for what you're building...
Other than the need for a steel hat (is it really a need, though?), the drum in hat setup can be very light. The GM setup has a cast iron block that houses the lever mechanism to apply the brake. That MAY be feasible to reproduce in billet aluminum to save a few ounces of unsprung weight.

I have my eye on a full set of Brembo calipers from a 355 for my car's brakes.
I wasn't trying to imply the gm setup was heavy, more just that the wilwood setup might be lighter. I am planning on adapting the gm setup to my car in the not so distant future.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I just like the elegance of the drum-in-hat setup. I haven't heard good things about spot calipers in terms of effectiveness or reliability. Aftermarket parking brakes in general tend to be solely for the purpose of passing state inspections. I'd prefer an OE base solution that has enough engineering actually to work.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

FieroWanaBe1 wrote:I have PDF copies of the Ferrari workshop/owners manuals from the 308-430. Chassis data is included in the 308, if your interested. Unless you already have them.
I would also be interested in running the Ferrari suspension geometry through the lotus raven software, which I have installed.
I knew the center console was low, so there was obviously very little beam height in the floor pan, but I didn't realize the car was basically just a ladder frame. Yikes.

Once I get my seating situation straightened out, I'll have to find a GTB roof for it, and maybe cage it (subtly, like a RUF Porsche)
ericjon262 wrote:Thought this might interest you.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/9488/nigel ... or-auction
I've seen articles on the car before... I don't think I'll be buying it :wink:
Mark E is building a 4 cam/48V V12 308 using a 400i block with heavily modified Testarossa heads. The thing's half welding rod by this point, but it has fired and he's in the initial tuning process.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I wasn't trying to imply that you would be buying it, but more that it somewhat offers a gauge to the value of a modded Ferrari 308

I've seen the V12 you're referring to, and yeah, there's probably not much of the original casting left!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

With Ferraris the price has more to do with the story than the car. Mark's would never sell for *nearly* as much as a car that has Nigel Mansell's name attached to it, despite being FAR AND AWAY faster.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:With Ferraris the price has more to do with the story than the car. Mark's would never sell for *nearly* as much as a car that has Nigel Mansell's name attached to it, despite being FAR AND AWAY faster.
true, forgot to think about how much people will pay for a story.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Buying a disassembled 360 engine for eventual build into a 4.0. Not sure if the resulting combo would be a 405 or a 408.

Will still proceed with the 3.4 swap, but will have a block to build up and swap in at a later date.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

bad idea gets worse? lol... :crazy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254325037842
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

That would definitely qualify as worse.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That engine is a couple hours away Will. Lmk when you want me to go look at it for you
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If you can get me a cold start video, I'll think about it.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

on a more serious note, anything new here?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nada. The rental I'm selling just went under contract, and I have a big qualification for the Navy due this fall.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Looks like you’re going in a different direction, but:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/ferra ... transaxle/
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Honest Don wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:45 pm Looks like you’re going in a different direction, but:

Any bets how much it sells for? I don't need to sink another $10k into this project to end up with a slower, more original car ;)

So yeah, I'm not going back to transverse. The transverse engines actually sit on TOP of the gearbox, so the engine sits 5 inches higher in the car than my donor powertrain puts it... which also means the transverse engines leave way less room under the decklid for an effective intake stack.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:24 pm
Honest Don wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:45 pm Looks like you’re going in a different direction, but:

Any bets how much it sells for? I don't need to sink another $10k into this project to end up with a slower, more original car ;)
Wow, I had no idea what that stuff goes for. $12k just seems absurd for what it is...