Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swap?)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swa

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I have a job interview on the 5th... I'll let you know then.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I have a job interview on the 5th... I'll let you know then.

Good luck!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

so, how'd things go?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

*I* think the interview went great... but what I think is not so much what matters. The corporate recruiter told me I'd hear back either way by Tuesday, but that hasn't happened yet. They might still be herding the cats to get their results input into the HR system.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:*I* think the interview went great... but what I think is not so much what matters. The corporate recruiter told me I'd hear back either way by Tuesday, but that hasn't happened yet. They might still be herding the cats to get their results input into the HR system.
ugh, I've been there before, not fun at all, good luck.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I spoke with the recruiter today... there was some sort of miscommunication about dates. He's expecting to get back to me *maybe* tomorrow, but more likely next Mon/Tues vice last Mon/Tues.

He said I did really well... which I already knew; I just don't know how well someone else may have done. If I understand him correctly, there were three guys interviewing for two jobs, so the odds are good.

I interviewed with DuPont in 2013, and the interview went great, but I didn't get the job. I went to another hiring event with the same head hunter later that year and was told "We really thought that would happen; they *really* liked you; you were their #1-b guy". I did not fulfill my desire to say "Second place is the first loser".
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Got the job!
I have something of a financial hole to dig out of, but will be making progress on my projects again soon.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

:good:
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Atta boy!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Congrats!!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

hell yeah! that's awesome man!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Thanks! I'll be on the "Industrial Engineering" team in the production group working at a semiconductor fab for Micron.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

So, anything new?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Working on getting the garage up to snuff. I'm saving up for a rolling door which will free up ceiling space for a bridge crane/hoist... which will make bouncing the engine in and out much easier.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Working on getting the garage up to snuff. I'm saving up for a rolling door which will free up ceiling space for a bridge crane/hoist... which will make bouncing the engine in and out much easier.
I can't wait to get to a point where I have a workshop and not a garage.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I already have my CNC converted Bridgeport with power quill feed and LeBlond lathe with GE controls in there... so it's on its way.
Of course neither of them work yet... and I still have to wire up the 220V outlets to power them, but at least the building has its own meter and panel.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Working on getting the garage up to snuff. I'm saving up for a rolling door which will free up ceiling space for a bridge crane/hoist... which will make bouncing the engine in and out much easier.
Rolling door is in place, bridge crane is shaping up nicely. This car will be in my garage within the next 2 months.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Rolling door is in place, bridge crane is shaping up nicely. This car will be in my garage within the next 2 months.
So of course that ended up being an idiotic thing to say.

But... for a car that's covered 4500 miles in 38 years (averaging under 119 miles a year!) and ended up on ebay with no engine... it clearly hasn't had a lot of love.
While the collector says "Look at what a mess this is!", The restorer says "It's ALL HERE!". The chassis is amazingly complete for having donated its engine to a more needy recipient. The engine was even removed with care; nothing was cut getting it out.

No love... Until now.

A 308 in its natural habitat:

I didn't take pics, but I'm pretty sure it still had the original tires on it. They were disasters. Only one of the four even held air.

While the wheels were off (which was actually easy to achieve!) I looked around the wheel houses a bit.

Ooopsie

That's not supposed to point that direction.

Zoomed:

Above is the forward inner pivot of the left front lower control arm.

Here's the corresponding location on the right side:

Here's the surrounding metal, left:

And right:

It was apparently gooned up quite impressively. I'll have to see if my dad's semi-retired friend with a frame machine can get Ferrari specs.

Also, the forward inner pivot of the left rear lower arm:

It's a little hard to tell from the angles of the photos (and the lens), but the left one is twisted relative to the right... maybe by the same object that did the damage at the front end:

Also, I don't know where this wheel was on the car originally, but it hasn't had a nice life either:

The result?
Still engineless, but now shod with Pep Boyz finest to make it rollable in preparation for moving it from my dad's house to my garage.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Does a carfax show that car wrecked..? You weren't kidding about all the crazing in the fiberglass body.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Emc209i wrote:Does a carfax show that car wrecked..? You weren't kidding about all the crazing in the fiberglass body.
This car's been off the road since before CarFax was invented.

This is a steel bodied car. I'd have to sell a house to buy a glass bodied car.
Production basically breaks down into two year increments:

'75-'76: Glass bodied carb'd two valve (I *think* glass bodied cars command the highest prices)
'77-'78: Steel bodied carb'd two valve (lowest valued cars; mine's a '78)
'79-'80: Steel bodied injected two valve
'80-'81: Steel bodied injected four valve (second highest prices after glass bodied cars)

It's just coincidental that's where the jackstand is. The car has a steel tube frame, so everything a jack stand can fit on is structural. This is definitely accident damage of some type... I'm guessing it was a rough terrain shunt rather than an impact, as the body seems still to be straight. There's some filler over the right front fender that I have yet to figure out, though.

There are also some dings on the top and side of one of the primary rear structural tubes that's making me scratch my head.

It's hardly built like a tank, but this isn't tin foil. It's been knocked around a bit.