Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swap?)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Project Stupid Ferrari (Formerly: Another Awesome V8 swap?)

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2)

Re: Another Awesome V8 swap?

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

no torque = no WOW
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I see a V-12.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Fixed.
Should be the entire powertrain and rear suspension pullout from a Ferrari 348TS.

The other link was a disassembled engine from a Ferrari 250 GT... for only $100,000.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That is an amazing price for all that you get. Might even fit longitudinally?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think the 348, which was longi had the same wheelbase as the 308 and 328, which were transverse.

However, I've worked on a 308. It's proportioned differently than a Fiero. The cabin is further forward (and the footwell more compromised) while the engine bay is quite large compared to a Fiero's engine bay.

However, a 308 or 328 with a blown engine would be a perfect mate to this hardware.

Edit: Oh, Fuck... just like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/221031616253 :crazy:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That engine + that 308 + this widebody = Sex.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If I wanted to put $80K into it...

I'm thinking the project as a fix and flip would be an awesome addition to me automotive "resume", but I don't need to own a Ferrari right now...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Hmm... Guy's real number is closer to $12K

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3030331532.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I haven't been able to keep the gears from turning...

I've worked on a 308 before:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Archives/Arch ... 78407.html
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/081085.html
http://jalopnik.com/5542526/the-worlds- ... -fauxrarri

I did *NOT* do that hideous hacked up swap, but I built the strut top mounts (visible in the engine bay pics on the Jalopnik page) which made the car driveable. Prior to that it only had about 1" of compression travel on the rear suspension. It now has 250# rear springs with Koni struts. I have never driven it, but the owner said it handled WORLDS better after I implemented that fix.

The owner of that car knows about a few things like aftermarket fuse boxes and such which will make the car more desirable as a resale.

The 308 tube frame is basically an assemblage of square and round tubing. From looking at the engine bay pics on the ebay listing and the pics of the 348 subframe, it appears to be fairly straight forward to adapt the 348 subframe to the 308 tube frame. It will involve cutting and welding, but as I mentioned above, that's just structural work with square tubing.

The 308 has a cable clutch, while I'm sure the 348 is hydraulic. That's not a bid deal, as I can adapt a Tilton MC to the clutch pedal.

Beyond that, I'm looking at typical swap items: coolant, fuel, air, clutch linkage, shift linkage, engine management, exhaust, A/C.
The '78 chassis doesn't have any electronics. The 348 powertrain does not appear to come with any electronics or wiring. I don't know what sort of triggering it uses, but Wikipedia claims that it uses Motronic 2.5, which (pretty sure) uses a 60-2 trigger wheel. I'm not above using a new LS3 computer with DBW throttle or even adapting a BMW Motronic 3.3 from an E34 with M60 V8.

The body can be removed from the tubeframe, so I could have the panels painted off the car for ease of handling.

Other tidbits like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250915952832
Could sweeten the potential deal without a huge cash outlay on my part...

$8K Powertrain
$10K Chassis
$1K cross-country shipping (?)

Thinking about a $25K budget, which would leave $6K to finish the swap. $25K seems like a reasonable resale for a running 308 in decent but not great condition...

Big questions/assumptions:
The longitudinal 348 powertrain will fit in the 308 engine bay due to the "interesting" nature of the 348 transverse gearbox.
Engine management?
How much of the factory dry sump will I have to piece together?
Can I get $25K (or better) from selling the resulting car?

Edit: 348 engine bay pictures: http://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-aut ... rhaul.html
Further edit: 348 tidbits: http://www.my348.com/ Dat Howl!
http://www.myferrari.page.tl/Andy-Hills ... f-Hell.htm
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Paint and interior will run train on your budget. That 308 looks like a piece of shit to me. People don't buy shitty ferraris with baller engine swaps, its not the nature of the beast.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, for anyone other than me to enjoy it, it pretty much has to be a complete package.

Obviously it'll need a paint job... and will have to be stripped to bare metal to get a good one, now that it has a destroyed lacquer job on it.

However, the body of a 308 should be completely removable owing to the fact that it is a tube frame car... I should be able to keep the paint costs down by having the panels stripped and painted off the car.

Other than the worn driver's seat, I thought the interior looked pretty good. The fact that only passenger's seat pan was recovered looks weird, so that may necessitate getting the seats redone.

A guy on www.Ferrarilife.com forum suggested I track down the 2.8 V6 car that I'd previously worked on and use that chassis instead. That would start me with a chassis that's already hacked and not require me to cut up a "virgin" one. I contacted my old customer who said that he'd sold the car for 17ish, which would be a big budget hit compared to the engineless chassis....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I've placed deposits on both the engine and the car. :) :(

Will be rolling up to Philly this Saturday to pick up the engine. Making arrangements over the next couple of weeks either to go get the car or have it shipped.
CincinnatiFiero

Ughhhhhhh I want a Ferrari.

Congrats, post a shit ton of pics.

Post pics on .nl of the car and see how many "who made that kit, OMG thats so accurate" comments you get.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I've placed deposits on both the engine and the car. :) :(

Will be rolling up to Philly this Saturday to pick up the engine. Making arrangements over the next couple of weeks either to go get the car or have it shipped.
Oh snap!

This is going to be cool.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Ughhhhhhh I want a Ferrari.

Congrats, post a shit ton of pics.

Post pics on .nl of the car and see how many "who made that kit, OMG thats so accurate" comments you get.
I'll definitely post pics.

Not so long ago, there was yet another 3800 vs. V8 thread. I ragged on Troy for not taking his car to the strip. V8Archie told me I should post a video of my Ferrari at the strip. Well....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote: Oh snap!

This is going to be cool.
I like to think so :wink:

The engine seller sold the suspension and subframe separately. I don't have to hack up the 308 space frame to mate to the 348 subframe... I can "just" swap the engine in and build some mounts.

Will be paying 6 for the driveline and 10.7 for the car, which leaves about 8.3 to finish up.
The chassis seller pointed me to some parts suppliers so that I don't have to pay dealership prices. There's a Ferrari parts distributor in England that sells parts cheap enough that even with trans-Atlantic shipping they're still cheaper than US dealership parts by a significant margin.
CincinnatiFiero

The old hilljack attitude that Ferraris be fancy european cars and you can't get parts for them is totally un-true.

Google is your friend, there are a ton of suppliers and a lot of the parts even from Ferrari aren't as expensive as people would lead you to believe.

My dad and I keep talking about a 355 and we've been pricing parts out, parts are definitely pricey, but affordable if you care about the car.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Fuck yes. Nice Will!

Sell the mule and keep the Ferrari. Fiero who?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Since this is now a Ferrari Thread, I moved it to 'Other Cars'.

This will be an interesting build. My only concern is where this will fall with your current builds. The Mule, the AMC, the BMW, and now a Ferrari. At your tedious, but thorough, pace, I might have grand-kids by the time this build is done.

I agree with Crzyone, sell some stuff off and make this one a priority! An Engine-swapper Ferrari is an awesome concept!
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair