262's 1970 GMC

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 262's 1970 GMC

Post by Aaron »

Holy crap! That's a lot of oil consumption. Burns more oil than gas.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Aaron wrote:Holy crap! That's a lot of oil consumption. Burns more oil than gas.
I was shocked myself... thing is practically a diesel...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Get a 6.2 for it ;-)

Going to grab a junkyard 350 or something a little more?

Edit: Have you pulled the valve cover to make sure there isn't something grossly wrong with the top end of that cylinder? E.g. broken valvespring and fragged stem seal...

Not that a couple of missing stem seals would give you that much oil consumption...

I assume you've checked for gross leaks like I just had with the BMW

Edit2: non-catalyzed, right? Had a friend drive behind you and look for oil smoke? Can you see any from the cab?
The point I'm sneaking up on is that oil consumption could be burning or leaking. If it's burning a quart every hundred miles, it should be smoking very noticeably.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: I sometimes like doing things people tell me not to do.
LOL... just noticed this... sure you picked the right career field? :wink:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Get a 6.2 for it ;-)

Going to grab a junkyard 350 or something a little more?

Edit: Have you pulled the valve cover to make sure there isn't something grossly wrong with the top end of that cylinder? E.g. broken valvespring and fragged stem seal...

Not that a couple of missing stem seals would give you that much oil consumption...

I assume you've checked for gross leaks like I just had with the BMW

Edit2: non-catalyzed, right? Had a friend drive behind you and look for oil smoke? Can you see any from the cab?
The point I'm sneaking up on is that oil consumption could be burning or leaking. If it's burning a quart every hundred miles, it should be smoking very noticeably.

I'm not against a 6.2, they're just hard to find in good shape anymore.

for now, I'm in the market for a new shortblock, but we'll see.

It smokes like chimney when I "get on it" I can see it out the passenger side tailpipe from the side view mirror. at low throttle, it doesn't smoke much, if at all. I thought the PCV might be sucking oil but it's hooked up to the baseplate on the carb and should distribute evenly to all cylinders (carb is clean, no clogged passages).

I haven't popped the valve cover yet, so there could be something up there too, but I'm confident it's the bottom end on cylinder 6 and maybe in part number 4, both plug showed signs of oil fouling, I didn't realize that bad though.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
ericjon262 wrote: I sometimes like doing things people tell me not to do.
LOL... just noticed this... sure you picked the right career field? :wink:
lol, work is one thing, car forums, that's a whole different story!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

got a question for the suspension gurus in the audience,

When I go over a bump in my truck, if the wheel is straight, it tracks straight, if the wheel is to the left at all, it jerks pretty hard left, but the opposite isn't true. while I was working on the truck the other day, I noticed a couple of body shims between the upper control arm mount and the body on the front right, which would give the front right wheel positive camber(right?) could this be the cause of the hard pull to the left?

Thanks-

Eric
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Have you had it aligned? How's the caster?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

haven't had it aligned, after looking at it again today, it needs one, outside edge of the front right is showing more wear. I saw somewhere a long while ago a thread on DIY alignment, trying to dig it up so I can get it a bit closer for now. any pointers on DIY alignment?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

On a truck around here a two wheel alignment is like $39-50. I've always just left it to the professionals. Correctly aligned has always made a huge difference in my perception of how a car drove so I've always just paid to have it done right.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not really wanting DIY for $$ factor, more for the know how factor, I get a certain satisfaction out of doing things myself.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Toe can be set with a tape measure.
Camber requires a camber gauge (or maybe just a level if your target is zero).
Caster is a little trickier, but I believe there are formulas to figure it out using a camber gauge.

If you're getting into a 4 wheel alignment, eliminating dog-tracking, making sure the chassis is square, etc. it gets a lot more complicated, but it doesn't sound like you need that just yet.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Everything can be done with tape measures, strings, a level, and calipers.

This looks like a reasonably accurate guide though I did just skim over it: http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/t ... nment.html
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote:Everything can be done with tape measures, strings, a level, and calipers.

This looks like a reasonably accurate guide though I did just skim over it: http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/t ... nment.html
Thanks! I'll do some reading and put this to use!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Hello, my name is Eric, and I have a problem...

lol...

I bought a second 70 GMC, this one is a 3/4 ton though. It's got a strong running 400 SBC, 700r4, dana 60 (full floating!) power brakes, a/c, a nice bench seat, and lots of other shit I needed for my 1/2 ton. the body on this one is toast though, full of holes, beyond repair, so the plan is to swap all the good parts from this truck to the 1/2 ton.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm putting the 1/2 ton cab on the 3/4 ton frame, here are the progress pics from the past 2 days.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

fuel line decided to spray fuel like a firehose... other one barely dripped...

lifted the 1/2 ton cab off...

rolled the 1/2 ton frame out and the 3/4 ton frame in...

Set the Cab down...

and this was how I left it...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Out with the old rotten core support...

in with the "new" core support.

front sheet metal installed

drove it home...

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Was wondering if you were going to do some POR touching up on the core support...

Or a bay shave... :wink:

Or a wire tuck :roll:
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Was wondering if you were going to do some POR touching up on the core support...

Or a bay shave... :wink:

Or a wire tuck :roll:

lol, I wish I had time for it right now, but the hobby shop here is starting to really get on my case about taking up space and what not... still planning the engine swap, so once I start that, there will be numerous improvements and additions, like brighter headlights(with relays) intermittent wipers, cruise control, ect. and a clean engine harness.