262's 1970 GMC

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 262's 1970 GMC

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Why do you need an engine swap? Doesn't it have a 400? Drop a HSR with AFR 205's on it with MS2 or MS3 and go to town! :-D
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Why do you need an engine swap? Doesn't it have a 400? Drop a HSR with AFR 205's on it with MS2 or MS3 and go to town! :-D
It does have a 400, and runs better then the 327 the other(is that the right word? they're kinda one in the same now...) truck had. it's not really why I went forth with all of this though. the 400 does sound like a nice little engine for a 1987-92 firebird though...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

ericjon262 wrote:like brighter headlights(with relays)
Can you get like Cibie or Hella H4 conversion housings? That what all the Benz guys do, the best sealed beam in the world is still crap IMO. Need to get composite housings.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:
ericjon262 wrote:like brighter headlights(with relays)
Can you get like Cibie or Hella H4 conversion housings? That what all the Benz guys do, the best sealed beam in the world is still crap IMO. Need to get composite housings.

sure can, it's just a 5.75" sealed beam, and plenty of companies make conversions.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Started drawing up mounts for the vortec swap...

first run looked good, but was flawed in more way then one... it was designed around stock rubber mounts, but seem to be impossible to find without going to the dealership. I also made them way too tall. and one side also intrudes too far into the engine compartment.

Revised is designed around GM RWD transmission mounts which are available anywhere, cheap, in solid, rubber, or poly. I've also designed them so the laser cut pieces will interlock, to make welding much easier.

only done with the passenger side so far, and it's not really 100% yet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What CAD program?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:What CAD program?

Google Sketchup. seems decent for freeware.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Interesting... I must be lame. I tried that and thought it was crap... maybe I just didn't "get" the interface.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Interesting... I must be lame. I tried that and thought it was crap... maybe I just didn't "get" the interface.
It's gone through a couple of updates since I used it last, I don't have much experience with CAD programs though...
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I've tried Sketchup a few different times over the past few years, most recently a couple months ago, and could never figure out how to make anything useful. I use Solidworks regularly though.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Series8217 wrote:I've tried Sketchup a few different times over the past few years, most recently a couple months ago, and could never figure out how to make anything useful. I use Solidworks regularly though.

you guys are probably working with way more complexed stuff than flatstock too though! :-D
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

hopefully 3rd time is a charm. (not done yet...)

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Little more progress...

I have also found someone who can cut them out for me.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

about to start on the crossmember.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'm going to have to give sketchup another look... Nice job.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I'm going to have to give sketchup another look...
I think it should work fine for static parts like I am designing.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Nice job.
Thanks, they're just about done with the design phase now. just a little more work and I'll be ready to send the plans off to the cutter.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Decided to go ahead and finish them up...

Done? Hopefully... :crazy:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

And this is the free version of SketchUp, the demo for the Pro version... Or did you throw down the $600 and pick up the full pro version?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:And this is the free version of SketchUp, the demo for the Pro version... Or did you throw down the $600 and pick up the full pro version?

it was the demo of the Pro Version, but you only get to use it for 8 hours (blew through it quick) so now I've been using the free version.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:And this is the free version of SketchUp, the demo for the Pro version... Or did you throw down the $600 and pick up the full pro version?
it was the demo of the Pro Version, but you only get to use it for 8 hours (blew through it quick) so now I've been using the free version.
As long as the free version can build models like you show AND produce drawings to have a shop make the parts, it sounds like it'll be fine for my uses for now.

To be painfully clear, that's "SketchUp Make", right?