Trade my RX8 for an E36 M3?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Trade my RX8 for an E36 M3?

Post by AkursedX »

I have had my RX8 up for sale a bit and recently had someone bring forth an intriguing trade offer.

Here's links to both my RX8 and his M3

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4036298766.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4092055530.html

We have exchanged a number of back and forth e-mails and some other maintenance things have been done. I know M3's are labor and maintenance-intensive, much like RX8's. The guy seems to be an automotive enthusiast and seems pretty honest.

I've already asked the same opinion on a couple other message boards that have people whose opinions I trust so I want to see what you guys think.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Emc209i

Re: Trade my RX8 for an E36 M3?

Post by Emc209i »

Do you want to spend a lot of time to get that car back into "new" driving condition? It's a nicer car than the Mazda in my opinion, but I don't like the way the suspension sounds. It may need more than an alignment, and if the rotor is warped, bushings might be shot, etc etc.

That's the kind of car you trade for if you REALLY want it. Otherwise it might leave a sour taste in your mouth after you have to fiddle with it so much to get it to be solid on the road. When I bought my 5-series, I drove a few that had weird road vibrations, pulled to one side, and just didn't feel right. When I drove the car I bought, I knew I'd found the right one. At 140 mph I can let go of the steering wheel and it just tracks straight down the road - perfection.

9K will buy a lot of BMW in the E46 and E39 market. Maybe not an M car, but something newer and better built for sure. For a little extra you could spring for an E92 or E60. A 540i is quicker than that car in a straight line.

I'm curious what others had to say, could you link to other forums?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Emc209i wrote:Do you want to spend a lot of time to get that car back into "new" driving condition? It's a nicer car than the Mazda in my opinion, but I don't like the way the suspension sounds. It may need more than an alignment, and if the rotor is warped, bushings might be shot, etc etc.

That's the kind of car you trade for if you REALLY want it. Otherwise it might leave a sour taste in your mouth after you have to fiddle with it so much to get it to be solid on the road. When I bought my 5-series, I drove a few that had weird road vibrations, pulled to one side, and just didn't feel right. When I drove the car I bought, I knew I'd found the right one. At 140 mph I can let go of the steering wheel and it just tracks straight down the road - perfection.

9K will buy a lot of BMW in the E46 and E39 market. Maybe not an M car, but something newer and better built for sure. For a little extra you could spring for an E92 or E60. A 540i is quicker than that car in a straight line.

I'm curious what others had to say, could you link to other forums?
The alignment is needed because the car had Bilstein Coilovers that he parted out. New/used OEM struts with new mounts were put in it's place. I forget the list, but a good bit of the suspension has less than 25k miles on it. I have not asked the why/how the rotor got warped.

I really like my RX8 but I'm one of those people who wants to own and drive a lot of different cars and I only have one life to do it. That being said, I'm not totally sold on doing this trade. He's back in town in early Nov. and I am at least going to see and drive the car in person. I am also going to get some seat time in another E36 M3 this weekend so I'll have something to compare against.

As for the other forums, most people feel that the cars are quite similar in many ways and that I should keep the RX8 because I already know my car and have sorted it out. I can't argue that really.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

That's a pretty clean E36 M3. $9k is definitely on the high end of pricing. Nothing it needs is particularly expensive, but prepare to be nickle-and-dimed for a bunch of little things.

I honestly wouldn't pay more than $8k for an E36 M3, but maybe they're just more common in my area. They're pretty easy to find around $5k here. $15k will get you a decent E46 M3.

Due to the E36 M3's popularity as a track car, it has a lot of support. It definitely has that going for it over the RX8. The aftermarket support for the BMW is phenomenal, and there are actually well-engineered parts out there unlike many of the crap in the import, tuner, and muscle car aftermarket.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Imports have good aftermarket if you buy name brand parts such as Greddy, HKS, AEM etc etc.

Personally I like the RX8 better. Might not be as quick in a straight line but they are great cars. Only downside is the stock 13b but if that ever goes you can get a bullet proof RA seal engine to replace it and never worry again.

There is a ton of go fast parts for the 8. You have only scratched the surface of potential in the car.

I recently watched these vids and it made me want an RX8 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6k291af7fI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBYm5nfmvA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzzBzp6-y4

JDM Power FTW
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

E36 M3 + LS1 Swap Kit = :-D
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The straight 6 in the M3 is one of the only things I like about it. 333hp is plenty of power. Throw on a supercharger kit and have a ball.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The E36 M3 is 240 HP... One of the weird aspects of the mid-90's ROW vs. US markets.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I read the rest of the world was underwhelmed by the E46 because it really wasn't much faster than the Euro-spec E36 and it was bigger and more expensive.

I personally don't like RX8s, I think they are gutless in a straight line and get horrible fuel economy. I have a buddy that basically the whole racing beat catalog threw up on, and its fast as hell on the autocross course but still being N/A on the highway or from the traffic lights I'm not impressed. But my opinion doesn't matter as its your money and your car.

The RX8 is a great handling car, but the aftermarket for suspension stuff on E36s is enormous.

I have a friend with an E36 M3 sedan with a Dinan Intake, Dinan Tune, Dinan strut bar, bilsteins, and a Lightweight flywheel and that car is a ton of fun with very basic modifications.

With more serious suspension work and a few more performance bolt-ons I'd bet it would be outstanding.

The E36 seems to be the redheaded step child of the 3-series world, everyone is super hard for the E30, and the E46 was a lot faster, but I've always like the handling of the E36, liked its looks, and liked its price. However $9,000 seems like a lot for an E36 M3, a friend just bought a sedan that needed a clutch for $3,000. Another friend picked up a coupe that was ready to rock for $6,500.

/my opinion
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I read the rest of the world was underwhelmed by the E46 because it really wasn't much faster than the Euro-spec E36 and it was bigger and more expensive.

I personally don't like RX8s, I think they are gutless in a straight line and get horrible fuel economy. I have a buddy that basically the whole racing beat catalog threw up on, and its fast as hell on the autocross course but still being N/A on the highway or from the traffic lights I'm not impressed. But my opinion doesn't matter as its your money and your car.

The RX8 is a great handling car, but the aftermarket for suspension stuff on E36s is enormous.

I have a friend with an E36 M3 sedan with a Dinan Intake, Dinan Tune, Dinan strut bar, bilsteins, and a Lightweight flywheel and that car is a ton of fun with very basic modifications.

With more serious suspension work and a few more performance bolt-ons I'd bet it would be outstanding.

The E36 seems to be the redheaded step child of the 3-series world, everyone is super hard for the E30, and the E46 was a lot faster, but I've always like the handling of the E36, liked its looks, and liked its price. However $9,000 seems like a lot for an E36 M3, a friend just bought a sedan that needed a clutch for $3,000. Another friend picked up a coupe that was ready to rock for $6,500.

/my opinion
The Euro E36 M3 started at 280 HP from 3.0 and upgraded to 315 HP from 3.2. The E46 pulled 333 HP from 3.2, but added enough extra weight that it actually had a worse power to weight ratio than the 315 HP E36, despite taking 30 lbs out of the engine.

I've read that with Euro cams and such, an S52 can push 280 RWHP, while a full-bolt-on S54 can get up to 340ish at the wheels.

Rotaries will always get horrible fuel mileage... just the nature of the surface area to volume ratio of their combustion chambers.

There are a few LS-swapped RX-8's running around.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Good, I was really hoping for some varied opinions. It's funny because at first thought, I didn't an E36 M3 and RX8 compared well, but after researching them, I have actually found that they are rather similar. The RX8 is more nimble and a bit slower in a straight-line where the M3 makes up for that with more torque, a more comfortable ride and better fuel economy.

I find that the aftermarket for both cars is abundant with both good high quality parts and cheap parts. I do feel that the E36's powertrain has higher potential n/a. Getting a 30-40hp boost in the M3 is much cheaper and easier than the Renesis. RX8's in n/a form will max out at around 280hp and that is with thousands of dollars of work. Should one go forced-induction, then things even out somewhat again, but I would not go that route.

What this is probably going to come down to me is whether I find the M3 nicer to cruise around in, how well it will fit my kids, and how much of a fuel economy benefit I will get. Working in law-enforcement, I work nearly every weekend, and usually overtime on them. This means I get virtually no chance to go to auto-x or track days (I have managed to take my RX-8 to one of each in the two years I've owned it). Plus I have a 3-year and 1-year old that usually absorb my remaining weekend free-time. So while my RX8 is a great driver and track car, I think it would be nice to have something a bit more road-friendly, yet something that I can still take out to the track on the rare chance that it happens.

I do think the M3 is a bit high on the price, but I am expecting this car to be in immaculate condition. If it's not, there is a good chance that I would pass on it. The guy is not back in town until November so I'll have to wait till then to actually see it.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

RX8 is more practical for kids. 4 door vs 2 door is going to make a big difference even though the 8s rear doors are small.

Now that I realize the M3 isn't the 333hp version I wouldn't even think about it. The RX8 is pretty much superior in every way imo. Cept maybe fuel mileage.