$70,000 budget for a car, go!

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

$70,000 budget for a car, go!

Post by Aaron »

What the title says. New(ish) is good. I'm open to lower budget cars that can take mods too.

I was pretty set on a new Jeep SRT8, but after looking at them, I simply don't see 70 grand worth of car there, and my current SRT8 does nearly as much. I'd like a GT style car, one that would tour well and still be competent on a track.

I know this is a wide open post, I just can't decide and would like some new ideas.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: $70,000 budget for a car, go!

Post by crzyone »

1989 GTR modded to the max. You can buy them with the 25 year rule and have an ample budget to modify it. Newish is relative, most of the Skylines are at or below 60k miles so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Buying one that has most of the mods already done to it is a bonus since we never get our money back from resale.

Not sure if you are set on getting a newer car but there are a bunch of older cars you can make insane with that kind of budget.

FD RX7 with half that amount of money would be a killer. A bone stock LS1 FD will run 11s all day long and look great doing it. You can buy an already LS swapped FD for half of your budget in next to new condition. http://www.rx7club.com

Wait 2 years and you can buy my GTR, cheap. I think I will sell it but I'm waiting until it's USA legal and then I can sell it for more money. :-D
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

E55 supercharged 03-06 will run an 11.9 drag tires. $15k will buy a nice one. Mclaren SLR cams, pulley, long tubes, and a tune will make big HP.

Or a CL65. Twin turbo V12 my friends made 707tq at the rear wheels stock. Tuned guys are making around 1,000ft/lbs. $30,000 will buy one with service history.

e60 M5 6speed. Sound amazing and are a lot of fun. Buying an unabused car with good service history is probably more of your budget than you think it is lol.

Used R35 GTR? A friend just traded his TT-RS on one, did an exhaust, tune, and injectors and its the happiest I've seen with a car in years.

I can't own just one car. Do you have $70,000 cash or can you make payments on the $70,000 note? Because most of the shit we are suggesting would be tough to finance. If you had $70,000 cash I'd buy 3 cars probably lol. Looking at my garage with 15 cars in it right now, that's what I did too.

R32 GTRs are not technically legal. Its 25 years by build month, GTRs did not come out until the fall of 89. Anyone that got one in got lucky, not to say it doesn't happen but you do run the risk of not being allowed to bring it in until September.

Did the 15 year law in Canada really drive up the price of GTRs In Japan? The number of people who can pay cash for $10,000 25 year old car in the US is a shockingly small number IMO. Stuff like R31s or the Soarer my friend just imported have been legal for years now and you don't see those flooding the US. I think like 50 R32s will sell like hot cakes in the US and then it will slow back down. People in Canada still drive civics and domestic market Evos. Its not like everyone has a GTR.

I'm still going to get one though, just keep getting side tracked with other cars. Do you have a way to decode skyline vins Levi? I need the build month on the cars I look at.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

70 might stretch far enough to snag a Gallardo or a Ferrari 360...
CincinnatiFiero

That's like all the kids my age who bought B5 S4s because they were AWD and turbo, and the car payment + the cost of the APR chip was literally every dime they had, neglecting the fact that the car was overdue for a belt service.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

lol... yeah, he'd definitely have to do his own service.

I've thought a few times about buying Ferraris that need the timing belt service, doing it myself and flipping the cars for +$10k a pop.

I feel you on the B5 S4 timing belt job... I just did that (and torque converter... OMG) on my girlfriend's C5 A6 3.0.

Right after I graduated college, I was looking at an 850i six speed. I came to my senses when I realized that payment + insurance would be a third of my paycheck for 3 years.
CincinnatiFiero

I want to buy a Ferrari due for a belt service but have not found one, if you see one you don't want give me a call about it. Would be a good way to get into something like a 355/360/430 behind the market, be able to drive for a year and get at least what you have in it back out.

I've never done a 3.0 or 2.7 timing belt, but I have done an early 2.0T, its fairly exciting... not. Luckily the T-belt and Torque Converter on our B7 got done by the extended maintenance program.

In terms of new cars, the Mercedes CLA45 is pretty cool. 2.1L Turbo, 355HP, AWD, 0-60 in the very low 4s, and they base out just under $50k. The C63 coupe is neat too and under $70,000 new.

M3/4?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The turbo 6 M3's and M4's are putting 360-430 to the wheels depending on ambient temp and getting upper 400's with torque in the 5's with just tunes (28 psi on E85) already...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

we all know a fiero with a 350 will do everything you could possibly imagine, why bother looking for better??? :crazy:
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Believe it or not a Fiero is still on the list. 10 grand for the car, and 60 in upgrades. I just cringe when I think of all the crap I'll have to fix and/or deal with.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If you're willing to do that much work to it, why not an Ultima GTR, RCR SLC, Daytona coupe, Locost or other kit car?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

FD RX7 has everything you want and still looks sexier than most modern cars.

Way better looking and better handling than any kraut car.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think I've got it narrowed down to a new Cayman, C7 Corvette, an early to mid 00s NSX, or a F10 M5. Really liking the M5, but it's at the very top end of my budget.
CincinnatiFiero

C7 isn't a bad choice, I hate corvettes, but they are a lot of bang for the buck, you could get a new one with a warranty, they are pretty striking looking too. A friend got one and is totally in love with it. Has already put down deposits on two Z06s.

RX7 is a good choice if you have 10 other cars so you'd never have to rely on it.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

So many cool cars attainable/buildable within that budget. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on. As for the M5, I'm biased, but I'd go V2 (or wait and see what the V3 is like) over it based on initial cost and mod/maintenance costs.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:E55 supercharged 03-06

I was gonna say the EXACT same thing. I have been looking for one for a couple of months now.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:If you're willing to do that much work to it, why not an Ultima GTR, RCR SLC, Daytona coupe, Locost or other kit car?

agreed.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Lotus Exige for a 4 wheeled motorcycle... Lotus will even sell you a rear subframe to bolt in the Evora powertrain (or Camry V6/6 speed powertrain) to build your own Exige-R. With the TRD Supercharger (Evora S powertrain) and upgrades, that should be able to push 400 HP in a 2000# car.
CincinnatiFiero

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:E55 supercharged 03-06

I was gonna say the EXACT same thing. I have been looking for one for a couple of months now.
Favor an 05/06 if you can, the air suspension was a little better, as was the transmission, but thats not to say pass up a deal on an 03/04.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I wouldn't look at an AMG unless it was a C63. M5 rocks the E class.

My current plan for the week is to sell my SRT8, and buy a new Grand Cherokee that's better suited for daily driving. Then slowly start saving to build a really nice Fiero. Series is really happy with his, and it's inspired me to go at it again.