2015 GOLF GTi runs low 13's

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Shaun41178(2)

2015 GOLF GTi runs low 13's

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Stock GTi with nothing but an APR tune. 13.1 @ 110 mph
APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade

The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is designed to work without requiring other changes to the vehicle’s hardware. With the ECU Upgrade alone, APR’s Calibration Experts measured higher peak figures of 381 ft-lbs of torque and 316 horsepower with 93 AKI octane fuel. Large gains were seen throughout the power band, including an additional 114 ft-lbs of torque and 87 horsepower. Even higher figures were achieved using 100 AKI octane race fuel. The increase in power directly translates to an exceptionally quicker vehicle. Using advanced GPS measuring devices and the local IHRA certified drag strip, APR’s engineers conducted several acceleration tests. During the quarter mile sprint, the APR Stage I equipped vehicle crossed the finish line 1.094 seconds quicker, with an exit speed 13.3 MPH faster!

all details here.
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/aftermarke ... -tsi-cars/
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
CincinnatiFiero

Re: 2015 GOLF GTi runs low 13's

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

So what you're saying is in 5 years there will be a lot of cars overdue for timing chains, with fucked high pressure fuel pumps, and blown turbo seals, but sitting on BBS RS's and can run a blue-smokey 13.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Impressive results from the engine, but as usual, quality control of overly complex VAG systems is suspect. Also... 316 WHP and only 110 MPH trap speed? How the heck much does that car weigh? Are they building Golfs out of tungsten? My Fiero trapped 112 with 312 at the wheels and ~3050 race weight (including 250# of driver), without the benefit of a dual clutch gearbox.

I've been thinking for a while that in a few years every manufacturer's engine lineup will consist entirely of turbo DI four cylinder engines, with the only difference between the top shelf model and the entry level being the software. The hardware would be the same between the 150 HP model and the 350 HP model.
CincinnatiFiero

Mercedes is changing the turbos on their motors, the 2.1L diesel, and 2.1L gasser, are offered in C200, C220, and C250 forms, the displacement doesn't change but the C220 diesel has a standard turbo, and the C250 diesel has a VGT turbo.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

trapping 110 for about 316 whp is about right. Different tracks and weather conditions can account for 2 mph difference. Shoot a slight headwind can knock off 2 mph or a tailwind can add 2 mph. I think the GTI is around 3100 lbs. It also traps 100 mph bone stock.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons ... ecs-page-4

Hate on it all you want but its not a bad bang for the buck hatch
CincinnatiFiero

I wouldn't say either of us were hating. I was hating on the average turbo VAG car owner, not the car. And will was being analytical as per usual. I don't think either of us would argue the gti isn't a hoot to drive for the money, and a bit more solid than Japanese competititors.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Impressive. I could only get my 400bhp GTO to 13.9 at around 106mph with our altitude and air conditions. Guys near sea level were getting high 12s I think. Pretty impressive to run a 13 nearly flat with an economical hatch.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Mercedes is changing the turbos on their motors, the 2.1L diesel, and 2.1L gasser, are offered in C200, C220, and C250 forms, the displacement doesn't change but the C220 diesel has a standard turbo, and the C250 diesel has a VGT turbo.
Tru dat... as long as the engine is strong "enough" the turbo has more to do with what the power potential is.
BMW does kind of the same thing... They use twin turbos in applications like the 335 and M3/M4 that require better response than applications like the 535 and X5, which get singles.
Shaun41178(2) wrote:trapping 110 for about 316 whp is about right. Different tracks and weather conditions can account for 2 mph difference. Shoot a slight headwind can knock off 2 mph or a tailwind can add 2 mph. I think the GTI is around 3100 lbs. It also traps 100 mph bone stock.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons ... ecs-page-4

Hate on it all you want but its not a bad bang for the buck hatch
I would expect the turbo engine to have more robust midrange torque than my N/A engine, and the area under the curve to add up better than that... but whatev's, it is what it is.

Not hating. Performance for the dollar is skyrocketing as turbo DI engines from every manufacturer hit the market. However, in a few years it'll be an "old German car" with all the implications that go along with that. Cincinnati mentioned a few of the more common ones. Unlike Mercedes and to a lesser extent BMW, VW doesn't have the cachet that makes expensive repairs on older cars worthwhile.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:Impressive. I could only get my 400bhp GTO to 13.9 at around 106mph with our altitude and air conditions. Guys near sea level were getting high 12s I think. Pretty impressive to run a 13 nearly flat with an economical hatch.
Yeah, no joke. The LT1 will probably have the same advantage over the LS3 that the VAG's FSI engines have over the old 1.8 and 2.0T's.
CincinnatiFiero

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Tru dat... as long as the engine is strong "enough" the turbo has more to do with what the power potential is.
BMW does kind of the same thing... They use twin turbos in applications like the 335 and M3/M4 that require better response than applications like the 535 and X5, which get singles.

The 2010+ E90/92 335i used the N55 Twin Scroll, Single Turbo motor, and the F30 335i also uses the Twin Scroll N55. The N54 twin turbo motor was up to '09 335s. I think they ditched the twins for reliablity, the early 335s seem to have turbo problems, that are being swept under the rug.

Info on the S55 was not as easy to come up with, I don't know have many turbos the S55 has.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I've never heard of turbo problems with the twin turbo 335, only fuel pump and coil issues. They ditched the twins for cost, and that's it. They could get nearly the same response, and nearly the same top end, with 60% of the cost per car. That's a huge savings for BMW. Notice they kept the twins on the high performance models, the 335is, and the new M3/M4.
CincinnatiFiero

Aaron wrote:I've never heard of turbo problems with the twin turbo 335, only fuel pump and coil issues. They ditched the twins for cost, and that's it. They could get nearly the same response, and nearly the same top end, with 60% of the cost per car. That's a huge savings for BMW. Notice they kept the twins on the high performance models, the 335is, and the new M3/M4.
I'm seeing lots of them at 100k needing the turbos done, they also had actuator problems which the part new from BMW is not cheap.

Friend is a BMW indy and he has done a LOT of them. The actuators start making this ominous ratting noise. Another friend is the parts manager for BMW and he confirms they are replacing turbos on them already, and if the car is chipped they are bad much more often.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That's normal though, in fact I'm surprised they're making it to 100k, most turbochargers start losing seals and power at 60k. The singles will do the same thing. They went to singles for cost, there's no doubt about it. Saves them 200-600 per car, and they price them the same. That is absolutely an enormous savings for BMW.
CincinnatiFiero

I am not disagreeing with you on the cost savings, that sounds entirely believable.

60k being acceptable for turbo's going bad is unacceptable IMO. We've got 101k on my girlfriends 2.0T audi and it doesn't use a drop of oil, and I've got Benz turbos in the 200k+ range not using oil or hazing. Friends who stuck with the 12k mile intervals on their 2.0Ts did lose their turbos at 100k though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It depends on the stress put on the turbos too. The 335 is hard on turbos, because they spool so fast, the majority of people are on boost every time they accelerate, whereas the older cars, and even a lot of new ones, still take high throttle and rpm before boosting. I bet my Fiero's turbo would last forever if I daily drove it, because it doesn't spool until 3500 and high throttle. Unfortunately every time I drive it I go wide open to the rev limiter, so maybe 60 lol.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Tru dat... as long as the engine is strong "enough" the turbo has more to do with what the power potential is.

The 2010+ E90/92 335i used the N55 Twin Scroll, Single Turbo motor, and the F30 335i also uses the Twin Scroll N55. The N54 twin turbo motor was up to '09 335s. I think they ditched the twins for reliablity, the early 335s seem to have turbo problems, that are being swept under the rug.

Info on the S55 was not as easy to come up with, I don't know have many turbos the S55 has.
Ok, I was off on some of the details.
The S55 runs twins.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:It depends on the stress put on the turbos too. The 335 is hard on turbos, because they spool so fast, the majority of people are on boost every time they accelerate, whereas the older cars, and even a lot of new ones, still take high throttle and rpm before boosting. I bet my Fiero's turbo would last forever if I daily drove it, because it doesn't spool until 3500 and high throttle. Unfortunately every time I drive it I go wide open to the rev limiter, so maybe 60 lol.
Diesels are on boost 80-90% of the time... basically whenever the car's accelerating at all and probably a little bit for straight/level cruise (especially at high speeds.)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

160k miles on my cummins turbo, and it sees 20-30psi boost regularly.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

stock internal one running mid 10s over and over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp0tMnxNhGk
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312