Some AMG Action

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Some AMG Action

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Emc209i wrote: I did a little googling and found that the w210 E430 uses the exact same knuckle as the E55. You could pick up a used set of knuckles cheaply and have them machined, given there's many more E430's in yards than AMG's.

Here's the left knuckle for a car without 4matic:
P/N: 2103300020

The oem parts appear gray like aluminum, so I figured the aftermarket stuff is Al with black paint. If it's steel that's even better for machining).
As slender as that whole part is, I'd guess it's steel.
Aluminum's easier to machine, steel is easier to weld.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:The SL500 rotor is deeper, so the caliper has to move inboard. I had @$$umed that the caliper or bracket bolts to the inboard face of the mounting ears, and thus a spacer could accommodate a deeper rotor. Is that the case?
Until I pull the wheel I won't know for sure, I to am operating under that assumption. Given these brakes will bolt on on a 124 and the way w124 floating calipers work I would think they bolt to the back of the spindle and a spacer between the carrier and spindle would move the caliper inboard. However the picture emc posted has be questioning that.

Hopefully tonight I'll have time to put my shocks on and scope out the brakes
Post pics.
I can do the machine work for you, if you can stand being without those knuckles for the round trip shipping time plus a couple of days.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I pulled up some pictured of the carrier and it appears that it mounts to the outside (outboard) of the knuckle.

Here's a pictures of the caliper and and carrier mounted over the stock rotor.

So if this is the case (I'm only looking at photos), you'll have to have 3.5mm shaved off the front of the knuckle tabs. At that rate I'd pick up some extra knuckles to have machined and keep the stock stuff in case I ever wanted to revert or sell the car. But I could be wrong and it mounts inboard on the knuckle. Either way, send Will some knuckles!
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

EMCs pics tell the story, I was wrong, and W124 calipers are the same way, the carrier is outboard of the spindle so the spindle would need to be machined. I will have to keep an eye out in the junkyards for a W210 to pull spindles from. I'll have to see if E320s are the same, those I see with some frequency, E420s and E430s appear but not as often.

My passenger front wheel bearing was very loose. I repacked it and readjusted it for the time being and ordered a new kit to install later. This helped quite bit in the shaking during high speed braking.

I also put in my new front shocks and the car drives MUCH better. I did the shocks by myself so I didn't have a helper handy to bleed the brakes. I'm not sure the last time the fluid was flushed so I'll do that when I've got assistance just for good measure.

The rotors don't have a lip to them, they may be machinable actually, I didn't have a caliper handy to measure.

I do think I need to paint my calipers, even though the monoblocks cover them up they still look like crap.

My best VW-Vortex, out of focus in a warehouse parking lot shot.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I love those wheels.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Image
Looks like there's at least some underemployed material that can come off the knuckle there. Enough? Dunno.
CincinnatiFiero

Front sway bar links are loose, and the sway bar to body bushings are so loose you can jiggle the sway bar with your hand. They are ovaled out and you see daylight through them.

Ordered new sway bar to body bushings from the dealer. $4.06 each, and AMG specific no-less (thicker bar). Already have the end links. The bushings should be in at the dealer tomorrow, should have them on this weekend. I don't know how much a loose sway bar can contribute to shaking under braking, but that much slop can't be doing me any favors.
CincinnatiFiero

Haven't driven the car in two months at this point, don't want to get the car salted. I leave it parked at one of our factories and saw this when I went over last night to work on the E32. Someone on night shift knows German cars better than I would have guessed.

Got the sway bar bushings and links done a couple weeks ago, the old rubber was really badly ovaled out and the inside of the bushing, the rubber was starting like "pill up" from the bar rubbing freely across it. I'd imagine I made some kind of noticeable improvement with the new parts.

Signed up for a track day in... August, plan is to take this. If I don't find the source of my shaking is anything other than the brakes I'll probably do that 4 piston C32 brake upgrade. I am keeping an eye out in the yards for an E430 to rob the knuckles out of so we could attempt to have Will machine them down. But I haven't found one yet. Next rock auto order I may order one of the SL500 rotors so I can take some measurements and we can see just how much machining would actually need to be done.

I am also looking for an E430 to rob the center exhaust section out of to make a cat-less midpipe out of that bolts in and out. I don't want to cut the cats out of this cars factory exhaust because ultimately I will sell the car, and don't like doing irreversible mods.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

So what exactly did he write? It looks like some of the markings on the rear windshield are fresher than others.

"M5"?
CincinnatiFiero

It looked like "LOL M5" to me. Who knows, the car is parked where second shift takes their smoke breaks.
CincinnatiFiero

This is supposedly sold as well, got a deposit on it, getting picked up next Sunday.

The E63 search begins!