I don't have that Series8217 money but...

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

I don't have that Series8217 money but...

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I'll at least try, picked this up last Monday, but then left town for Florida.

1995 M3, but it has a 3.2 swap from a 1999 (67k miles), 24lb injectors, euro maf, OBD1 intake, OBD1 ecu, ITG intake, and a Turner Motorsports chip. On coil-overs, UUC sway bars, poly here and there, brembo rotors, hawk pads, etc.

I'm the third owner, second owner bought it 9 years ago, always well maintained.

Plan is to clean it up, take it back to stock aesthetically and do some autocrossing. eBay long tube headers are said to be really good in the E36 community, at around 100 shipped for a set, the gains aren't massive, but ~10HP for $100 is a deal in my opinion.

Stock corners just came in, going to strip the tint, and having stock wheels put on tomorrow. New front bumper is on order, going to grab some stock kidneys at the junkyard soon too probably.
Emc209i

Re: I don't have that Series8217 money but...

Post by Emc209i »

That's great to hear you putting it back to stock appearance. I don't always like E36's, but I nut when I see a classy one that's no boy racer'd out. Like this, in black: http://tinypic.com/r/ekqe4k/8

What's the inside look like? (When you get back from Florida)
CincinnatiFiero

Interior is the Dove Grey, interior is not ripped or torn, but its pretty dirty. I'll saddle soap it and then have it re-dyed. Back seat and passenger seat are nice and crisp grey, but the drivers seat is sort of a dingy grey. Shift knob is pretty worn out, going to buy a new one from the dealer, but I haven't decided if I'm going stock, or with the shorter ZHP style knob.

Factory corners back on, I know a lot of people prefer the clear, but amber is correct for the '95 and it was much cheaper to do correct '95 markers, rather than do 96+ clear side markers, tails, and corners.

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Interior is the Dove Grey, interior is not ripped or torn, but its pretty dirty. I'll saddle soap it and then have it re-dyed.
Who does the leather refinishing? Cost? Quality?
CincinnatiFiero

A guy who comes to my dads lot, good guy, quality seems better on my "cool" cars than production work out on lot cars. He air brushes the leather, does a nice job. Cost is a tough question to answer, he's into cars and has become a friend, he usually charges me $20-100. Depending on what we do. He did a pair of sportline mercrdes steering wheels for $20. He did my whole E46 for around $100. Quality is good, that certain bmw dealer who asks more money than bmw did for used E30s uses the same guy. The key is the lesther has to be very clean and well conditioned before he dyes it. It holds up well getting in and out of the car however if you stain it and use an aggressive cleaning agent you will pull the dye back off the seats. Once it's dried a few days you can regularly condition it as normal.

Honestly with this car being dove and how dirty I generally am, I will probably wait until the day before I sell it to have it dyed so I don't have to do it twice.
CincinnatiFiero

Got these from a friend in the wheel repair business, someone traded them in, they are marked 350 front, 360 rear, which should mean they are real 1995 LTW wheels. They probably weren't off of one of the ~125 E36 M3 LTWs but they were a factory accessory in 1995.

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

That looks so much better!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Needs LTW wing
CincinnatiFiero

Series8217 wrote:Needs LTW wing
Oh I've been looking. The front bumper is pretty cracked up, I picked up a new bumper, and the hood and fenders have some damage so the car is getting some paintwork done. If I could find a cheap LTW knock off wing I'd have it painted at the same time, the only one I've found on eBay so far was like $370 though.

edit: andysautosport has them for $178. I wonder if they are really 3 piece so I could take the spacers in and out.
Emc209i wrote:That looks so much better!
Thanks, its amazing the difference just wheels makes.
CincinnatiFiero

Met a guy who did an S52 swap into an E30 cabriolet. He parted a 318iS and a M3 sedan to build his ideal vert. Anyway, my buddy and I went over and bought out all of his remaining parts. Got a good number of stock parts for the M3. Got stock springs, bilstein rear dampers, and a stock airbox. Also got an A/C compressor which the PO of my car removed because racecar. I am probably not going to put the stock suspension under my car, but I would like to have some stock parts with the car, especially when I sell it on. Also got stuff I didn't need but I'll eBay those and pay for the lot.

Also have a friend who is on an ALMS team (worked Sebring with them last week, need to post some pics) and he said they will corner weight my car later this month for me.

For those of you who have corner weighted a car, how much fuel did you put in the car? 1/2 tank seemed reasonable to me, I never fill a car before autocross, but I also never run my cars super low.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: For those of you who have corner weighted a car, how much fuel did you put in the car? 1/2 tank seemed reasonable to me, I never fill a car before autocross, but I also never run my cars super low.
However much fuel you plan to run in the car. Ideally this would be the minimal required fuel level to complete a session (or autox run) with no chance of fuel starvation. Then when you come in from a track session or a set of autox runs, top it back off. Obviously for autox you probably aren't going to need to top it off after each run. If you don't plan on tightly controlling your fuel level at the track or autox, half a tank would be reasonable if that's what you're most likely to show up with.
CincinnatiFiero

Car is off at paint now, front bumper was cracked up and the hood and tops of fenders had some damage to them. Looking forward to getting it back, interior re-dye will probably also happen while the car is down in Cincinnati after it leaves paint.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I go through about 1-2 tanks per track day in my cars and bikes. That's running 8x 20-25 min sessions in a day at a fairly high speed track. The Jeep was more thirsty, needing a few gallons in the middle of the morning and afternoon.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:I go through about 1-2 tanks per track day in my cars and bikes. That's running 8x 20-25 min sessions in a day at a fairly high speed track. The Jeep was more thirsty, needing a few gallons in the middle of the morning and afternoon.
It's about 10 gallons an hour for my Fiero
CincinnatiFiero

Well, the summer and fall was a total fiasco for this car. They mis-mixed the paint with the wrong metal flake / mica and half the car was purple in the sunlight. My paint guy is a good mix of price and quality, but he's super slow. So it takes him a couple months to do a car for me usually. Well add to that him re-doing the car on his own dime, because I refused to pay for a half purple M3 and it took forever to get done. By the time it was done it was time to stick it in storage for the winter anyway.

Well its back out! I stripped the tint on it, which I think makes the car look so much nicer, but that is the single hardest automotive job my dad and I have ever taken on. Holy shit is that stuff hard to get off of a rear defroster window. I'll probably never tint a car again because of it.

Cat-back exhaust is en route for it as well.

I had talked about the leather re-finish work so here are some pictures.
Before:
After:
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Yes, tint is a pain in the neck! Getting tint off of a defroster without pulling the defroster legs up isn't easy. The interior looks great. Maybe some carpet and it'll look brand new. Did you ever get the paint fixed?

Overall, you've done a great service to that car.
CincinnatiFiero

Paintwork is all done, the car is just dirty in the pics, needs a wash and a wax, I'll take some pictures of it clean soon. It has been raining on and off here for what seems like weeks so I haven't taken the time to sit down and detail a car.

I guess I never did get stock kidney grills, I can't decide if I like the blacked out ones or not.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: I had talked about the leather re-finish work so here are some pictures.
Before:
After:
What products and methods did you use?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I don't know what was used here, but Slammed-Fiero (Jon McCreery) did this on an M3 recently as well and he used Leatherique.

I don't know if this image will work but:
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
CincinnatiFiero

I use a man named Rick. He comes around my dads car lot, but hes a car enthusiast and on my interesting stuff he gives me a price break. He did these seats and the back for $80. At the price I've admittedly been too lazy to learn how to it myself.

I am not sure what type of dye he uses, but he applies it with an airbrush. He damn near sanitizes the leather, then conditions it, then uses sandpaper in rough spots, then airbrushes it. Using a strong cleaner you can wipe the dye out of the seats. But it can still be conditioned like normal.