Project POP (Pile of parts)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

Re: 262's R07 parts collection, AKA project "Full Retard"

Post by ericjon262 »

New parts on the way later this week, pictures to follow when they get here.
crzyone wrote:Whatever this engine goes into is going to be a beast.
That's the goal!
Indy wrote: No joke. This is making me want to sell my SD stuff and start one of these up!
Please don't! I've been watching that build for years!
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Going to go for an Ultima GTR?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Going to go for an Ultima GTR?

That would be pretty fun, I'm not set on anything yet though.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

rear main seal adapter/oil manifold

block side

transmission side

when I get time to, I will highlight the flow paths.

Water pump:

the fittings are new to me, I haven't seen something like this, just grooves cut, no threads inside or out.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Here's your crankshaft:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171982004952?_mwBanner=1

not my crank, that won't fit an R07. if it was an old school SBC, it would fit all day. would love to go single plane, but I haven't seen one available for an R07.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

1) Call Crower
2) Open checkbook... WIIIIIIDE
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd2GBQcx_4Y

.. There are no pistons in that engine.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd2GBQcx_4Y

.. There are no pistons in that engine.

Thats pretty cool, I've seen a couple of spintron videos, it amazes me how noisy a valvetrain alone can be.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Crank pictures...

in the background you can see the ports on the latest set of heads I got. these are x026's. they're wider and shorter than the x024's and x017's

rod throws drilled

8 bolt crank flange

the mains are also drilled, but the ends are filled with some kind of epoxy.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

not much to report, I picked up a harmonic balancer sized flywheel for it... lol.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

crap audio, but lots off cool visuals of a FR9 being put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp6tQ89t3G0
ericjon262

Re: Project POP (Pile of parts)

Post by ericjon262 »

it's been a while since I updated this... I still have all the stuff I posted about, even though the old pictures are gone now... I picked up some new stuff,

this is a spray rail to lube the camshaft:

it bolts into the lifter valley above the cam, and floods the cam tunnel, which is scavenged by it's own stage.it has 2 ports on the ends, I think they are there for machining of the manifold, the oil feed appears to be in the bottom of the manifold.

I bolted the heads to the water manifold, so that I could get a better idea of the size of the engine. overall, from the lowest point on the deck surface, to the highest point on the valve cover, it's about 10.5" tall, and a bit over 2' wide at it's widest point. I may end up re-working the water outlet a bit to improve clearance to the intake, as the lower edge of the port may interfere with the upper parts of the water neck, it will be easier to tell once I start printing the intake runners.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I picked up this front drive spindle and water pump pulley, the underdrive on this setup is insane, about 4:1.

The spindle allows for pulleys to be removed and replaced without special tools, as well as allow the crank to be hand rotated. the oil pump drive pulley is a little FUBAR, it will need to be replaced before being put into service.

Crank pulley on top of the water pump pulley illustrates the crazy amount of underdrive.

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I picked up this sweet oil pan! it's segmented, each area has it's own suction for the dry sump.

and a second front plate, picked it up for $10!

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If you turn the lights off, you could take darker photos.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:33 pm If you turn the lights off, you could take darker photos.
yeah, I know... I'll take better ones when I have more time.