New winter car. Subaru

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

New winter car. Subaru

Post by AkursedX »

Hey guys, I know I don't post here much but I still do read the forums.

Anyways, I picked up a new DD for the colder months. I previously had a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium which taught me a valuable lesson about enjoying what I drive. It was a nice vehicle with all kinds of cool technology, but as far as the driving experience, it was bland and uninspiring. Since I finally bought a new house back in June (I moved back to Buffalo), I set my sights on getting back into something enjoyable.

I had searched for a few things: used STi's, Evo-X's, and the Ford Taurus SHO w/Performance pack. These were all AWD cars that would do well in Buffalo Winters. After searching, driving, and negotiating over a few cars, I became quite annoyed with the process and salesmen looking for brand new prices for cars with 30k miles on them. The last car I looked at was a 2013 STi w/ 30k miles on it. The dealership wanted 33k and wasn't willing to budge. For $2500 more, I could get a brand new STi on a new improved platform. So I went to a Subaru dealer and found a 2016 base STi in Lapis Blue that I fell in love with on my first drive.

So here it is, a Lapis Blue Pearl 2016 Subaru STi base model with only an auto-dimming mirror and allweather mats added to the sticker:

I really don't have a whole lot planned for this car. I actually plan on dropping some coin into my RX8 as I'll actually have Sunday's off next year so I can actually do some HPDE's and Auto-x. I'll do some small exterior/lighting stuff, snow tires of course, and a separate set of wheels. But I really like how it handles and performs as-is. And having different sport-modes and manual-control of the center differential really changes the dynamics of the car. In the little bit of driving I have done in it, I have absolutely loved it. It's certainly stiffer than other cars but it's right how I like it for a DD. I really can't wait to hoon this around come winter time.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: New winter car. Subaru

Post by crzyone »

Nice car man, I loved my Evo x and my older 1st gen STI. They are not the best on fuel but they can put a big grin on your face drifting on snowy corners!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Color comes out great in the photos! Nice choice!

Going to start a build thread on the house?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Great looking snowmobile! Beautiful color.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I like it.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Great looking car.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Thanks guys.

No build-thread on the house Will. I really don't have much to do on this one other than painting and replacing a hot-water tank.

I have to say that I really love this car. I've only put 200 miles on it and it that time I have found that this car is my ideal DD. The seats are snug, but comfortable. The ride is harsh, but not too harsh. The power it nice although I haven't had it above 4k rpms (I have to stay that way for 1500 miles for break-in). Changing the performance mode from Sport to Sport-Sharp really makes a difference in how the car acts and I love having control over the center-diff.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I saw one this color on the road locally... very striking in person.