New Daily

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

New Daily

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Just picked up this 2006 E320 CDI.

Been looking for one for a while, but could not find what I wanted. I wanted something that wasn't silver, but I also wanted a good bit of equipment. For whatever reason the salesmen who all bought these cars new bought silver stripper-spec cars. This one has everything but panoramic roof, and appeared 8 miles from my dads house, so it was sort of meant to be. I really wanted pano, but the only car I found for sale with Pano was $7,000 more, so I think I'll tolerate my normal sunroof.

Its got an OM648 3.2L straight-6 diesel with a VGT turbo. It is pre-bluetec so no DPF, no urea. It does have a catalytic converter though. 201HP 370TQ stock. People quote 0-60 in the mid 6s, like 6.6 seconds.

Drove all highway at 85mph with the cruise on an got 39.1MPG, next day drove the same route at 75mph and got 41MPG.

I may do a malone tune on it to delete the EGR, like the 6.0L Ford Powerstrokes they do not have a wastegate and just use the VGT vanes to regulate boost. The EGR soot cokes them up, they get stuck and it ruins the turbo. I bought this car with a bad turbo, put on a brand new one from the dealer. Turbo had a ton of shaft play, throwing a code for underboost, and the rod for the VGT actuator was stuck. Used turbo was $800 plus shipping, plus return shipping on the core. New turbo from Mercedes with a 1yr unlimited mile warranty was $1,150. Seemed obvious to me.

The tune takes them to 235HP and 416TQ. I have a lot of friends who use Malone on their TDIs, and it is also the cheapest tune at $489. Malone's power claims are the lowest, which actually also appeals to me, I don't need to go much faster, I'd just like to off the EGR, and guys claim 1-3MPG improvement with a tune its plenty fast as is, a little more would be awesome, but I don't need to chase down my AMG with this car. Some companies claim up to 260HP / 440TQ from a tune, however people like Kleemans tunes are also up to $1,100.

Emc209i

Re: New Daily

Post by Emc209i »

Classy ride. A torque'y economical daily driver with boost, good man.

Do you like the Melanite Black Pearl or Flint Gray colors on the E? Can't go wrong with black but they're a pain in the ass to keep clean.
CincinnatiFiero

After my E46 I said I was done with black cars, I washed it before I put it away, and would wash it when I got it out. Damn thing got dirty sitting still.

However options were pretty limited in terms of color trying to buy a 10 year old car. It was more of, which ones aren't silver, which ones aren't that silver-blue color. So it had to be black. I really like the midnight blue color they do, but I have yet to see a CDI in it.

185 Melanite Black sort of reminds me of 199 black pearl, which I've had a few older Benzes in and I like it, I don't know that I've seen it in person. Friend has an E55 Supercharged Wagon in Flint Grey and I really like it. Stays much cleaner than black does.

Malone Tuning told me ECS tuning was my local dealer. Called ECS, their response was, Malone tunes Mercedes? Not a reassuring start. They are going to talk to Malone about it and see if whatever hardware they have from Malone can install the CDI tunes (that Malone DOES offer).
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You got me looking at Mercs now lol... found some locally for pretty good prices. Only thing I'd worry about up here is how it would start not being plugged in on a -30 to -40 winter day.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

You're right. The Japanese and Americans probably do cold better than the Germans. Given their latitude.

[The above statement is to be taken as wildly sarcastic satire]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHypNedoSpQ :)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I think he was referring to the fact the diesel gels at those temps and the engine would need a block heater.
CincinnatiFiero

I don't know that I believe this... but:
I've been living in Minnesota since 2008. Same year I bought my 2005 E320 CDI. The coldest I've ever seen it here so far was -30 F . At that temperature I simply cycle the glow plugs twice. It starts immediately after that. Rattles for about 5 seconds, then back to normal. This is after 9 hours, parked outside, -30.

I have inquired about an engine block heater. My dealer says there is no OEM option because these cars simply don't need it. There are a few options when it comes to oil pan heaters. Problem is you'll have to cut a lot of insulation that's around the oil pan to be able to attach the heating pad. To me this didn't make sense. I trust the Germans knew what they were doing. These cars drive all over Norway, Sweden, and such without issues. Like I said, in the six years that I've owned this thing I've never had a problem.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/die ... etecs.html

I run 0/40 Mobil1 in it, it meets the 229.5 specification needed for the OM648 diesels. There is also a 5/30 that meets 229.5 from Mobil1. 5/30 may be the way to go in Canada. In Ohio I didn't feel the need to go as thin as 5/30.

Additional semi-relevant information, since this car is non-DPF you can use 229.5 Mercedes Spec oil, which happens to be met by standard Mobil1 5W40 that you can get at Walmart for $22.99 a gallon. The 07+ Bluetecs require 229.51 spec oil, which is only met by Mobil1 ESP (emissions system protection) Formula-M (people online claim its formula Mercedes) because of the DPF. You can only find it online, at Pep Boys, or at the dealer.

Interestingly enough all of the go-to Diesel oils (Rotella, Mobil1-Turbodiesel, Delvac, Royal Purple Diesel) all do not meet 229.5, nor 229.51.

Also found out the factory OCI on the OM648 is... 19,000 miles! And I wonder why it had a bad turbo so soon. Modern engines certainly have tighter tolerances, and oil is certainly much better, but an annual oil change is madness. Mobil1 is cheaper than a shortblock and a second turbo, I think I'll stick to the ~7-8,000 mile changes I go on Rotella T6 in my other diesels.

I did lay out a 4.6L New Edge mustang in it from a dig last night, it was actually sort of a brutal slaying. I'm sure on the highway he would have had me, but on the mean streets of Canal Winchester, Ohio, he stood no chance.

edit: I looked in the trunk, I put Mobil1 0/40 european formula in it, not 5/40.
Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Wow, do these come in wagon and/or AWD form? Seems like a killer DD and as a wagon would have a lot if utility.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think he was referring to the fact the diesel gels at those temps and the engine would need a block heater.
I know he was. I was reading a post by someone last night who said their Mercedes diesel would always start without problems in the -30* cold when the fuel should be theoretically "frozen" in the lines.

On a side note, I don't personally understand why anyone would choose to live that far north or south in the dead of winter. Seems like punishment - for what I wouldn't know.
CincinnatiFiero

Series8217 wrote:Wow, do these come in wagon and/or AWD form? Seems like a killer DD and as a wagon would have a lot if utility.
No diesel Mercedes wagons in the USA since 1987 sadly.

The 2014+ E250 Bluetec is however available in AWD sedan form. First 4matic Mercedes Diesel in the US ever.

Has the OM651 2.1L 4cyl Turbodiesel. 201HP and 370ft/lbs.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Nice car, BTW.

The Bluetecs/CDI's are rare even in NoVA where people drop coin on new Mercs like they're going out of style.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Emc209i wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think he was referring to the fact the diesel gels at those temps and the engine would need a block heater.
I know he was. I was reading a post by someone last night who said their Mercedes diesel would always start without problems in the -30* cold when the fuel should be theoretically "frozen" in the lines.
The fuel doesn't become special when it's in a Mercedes tank... I'm sure he knows to use lots of anti-gel additive in the winter... and an extra concentrated coolant mix. The thinner oil also contributes to that. Back in the day, oils would get so thick that the starter basically couldn't turn the engine over. Also, the bearing clearances of aluminum blocks around iron cranks decrease with temperature. There's a critical temp at which the bearings "clamp" the crank journals and the engine becomes seized until it warms up... but Merc tests for that.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

We have winter diesel in Alberta. I haven't had a gelling issue yet in my Dodge Cummins at any temp.

Colt starting is a fact of life up here, and we don't always have the option to plug in a vehicle. My Dodge used to suck in the winter until I bought the biggest batteries I could possibly find to start it. 2 large 1000cca batteries and 2 cycles of the grid heaters and it will start without being plugged in. The engine will be so cold that it spits raw unburned diesel out the exhaust and leave a nice yellow snow bank wherever I'm parked.

If the Merc didn't start with a command start because it needed 2 cycles of the glow plugs... that would suck. I haven't really considered a diesel car as a daily for these issues.

I'm going to guess the Canadian diesel Mercs come with a block heater. There isn't a car sold up here that doesn't.
Emc209i wrote: On a side note, I don't personally understand why anyone would choose to live that far north or south in the dead of winter. Seems like punishment - for what I wouldn't know.
Main reason, because I am from here. And the other reason to stay... Money. I have a 5k square foot house, 2 garages, new vehicles and all the toys I want lol. When you are from here the cold isn't much of an issue, just a way of life.
CincinnatiFiero

Anymore most pump diesel has anti-gel in it. I know a local Biodiesel distributor who sells B100 to a local network of commercial fueling stations to be blended into B5, B10, and B20 and he said their B100 has additives in it that stops it from gelling down to -30* he said BP (who supplies the dino diesel that gets blended with the B100) has plenty of anti-gel additives in their fuels as well. This is all 3rd hand information that I cannot substantiate.

However in my diesels I will still run Amsoil Cetane Boost + Anti-Gel or Power Service White through the winter. However Columbus gets cold, it does not get Canada cold, but I have never had a gelling issue. I was in Toronto this January for some -20*F action and that shit was no joke. My friends LS400 didn't even want to start.

In all my old diesels I religiously run additive in them. They all seem to run smoother on ULSD if its got some additive in it, I also notice ~2mpg better on additive in the white wagon, which almost makes it pay for itself.

I'm not sure how the CDI feels about additive. I dumped a bottle of Lubro-Moly Diesel-Purge into this car when I filled it on Monday. The can says it is safe for common-rail cars.
CincinnatiFiero

aaaaannnnnnddd its broken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWU17NLgfA

The car has this setup, which is the same as McLaren/Mercedes SLR and a Maybach, pretty crazy stuff, but there is essentially no fail safe to it. It throws a few warning that get increasingly more stern, then eventually you have zero brakes.

I got the first warning and dropped it at the dealer. Mercedes has an extended coverage of 10 years unlimited miles on the SBC pump. My car is still covered, getting a new SBC pump today, be ready to be picked back up tomorrow.

W211s only use this up to 2006. The 2007+ cars (E320 bluetecs if we are talking diesels) have a booster and a master cylinder.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:
W211s only use this up to 2006. The 2007+ cars (E320 bluetecs if we are talking diesels) have a booster and a master cylinder.
Sometimes the old tech is best. Pontiac 6000's had the same problem in the late '80's & early '90's ;)

However, I do prefer hydroboosts over vacuum boosters for pedal feel, although they obviously add a few pounds to the car.
CincinnatiFiero

My truck has Hydroboost, and my friends Crown Victorias have it I am pretty sure. Its certainly different and I like it in the truck, but SBC is not hydroboost as I understand it. The pedal feel is entirely simulated. There is no connection between the pedal and the brakes. There is no master cylinder, its essentially an ABS pump with an electric pump and accumulator on the input side. And a mile of wiring in between haha.

My car also has Tele-Aid which is Mercedes variation on On-Star. However being an 06 its analog, which is no more. Mercedes can convert your car to digital, or just turn off the Tele-Aid Module. They royally fucked up my friends AMG when they tried to turn it off on his car (turned off the CD changer and reset a bunch of other settings, and still left teleiad on), so my breath is held on my car. But if they do it right its well worth the 0.5hr of labor to not have to hit the CANCEL button twice every time I start the car to clear the Tele-Aid failure warning.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

So many brake pedal touches before you get the warning light. One reason I have stayed away so far from any higher mileage benzos

Cool car though. Needs 2jz
CincinnatiFiero

Meh, retail on the SBC pump is around $1,000. I can buy one in the high $600s wholesale. There are companies starting to rebuild them for less than that. And according to some videos on youtube, it can be DIY'ed. Its just nicer when its free from Mercedes. I wouldn't let SBC keep you out of a W211 E55 Supercharged. However 07+ W211 E63s do not have SBC. SBC is not found in many benzes. Mercedes grew tired of paying for it, so they all have a hydraulic pedal, a booster, etc. now. But a lot of the SBC features are integrated into the ABS pump anyway now.

Friend just picked up a 2004 E55K with a blower pulley (not a crank pulley, so its not a huge boost gain) and a tune from Eurocharged. Dyno'ed at 440/510 at the wheels. More boost, long tubes, and a retune will make 500/550. You know you want one. Go buy one Shaun.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

My dad's E24 has a hydroboost... It has a softer pedal than his Suburban with domestic (Borg Warner?) hydroboost, but still quite linear. Either one is *WAY* better than the Fiero's vacuum booster.