Always wanted one, and now I'm over it.

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Always wanted one, and now I'm over it.

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Drove it for two days, and I think I'm good, I like it, but I don't need it.

1990 Volvo 240 wagon. Euro delivery, one family two owner car. Factory ordered as ABS-delete, Radio-delete (currently has a stereo), AC-delete, slicktop, manual windows. B230 non turbo with the 5speed (not the 4+OD). I'm staggered it has power steering. Previous owners drove the car all over Europe for a couple years before it was finally brought over.

Its got various bumps and bruises and a little rust, but I've always been curious about a Volvo 240. This one has the IPD VX euro cam, which supposedly bumps them from 114bhp to 136bhp. Its definitely one of the healthiest N/A B230s I've ever driven. Has poly bushings and bilstein shocks too. Its remarkably entertaining to drive.

Sitting on snow tires for whatever reason, but I've got the factory wheels and hubcaps in the trunk.

Know anyone who wants one?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Always wanted one, and now I'm over it.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

My cousin's ex from a few years back was a Volvo guy, but he's moved on now and has an Esprit and a E9x.

He was working on a twin cam turbo B230, which is supposed to bolt together without too much difficulty... never got it together, though.
CincinnatiFiero

My limited understanding of volvos is the 740GLE was a twin cam non-turbo that made similar power to the LPT 2.3 turbo. So the theory is if you combine the two shit gets crazy. Seems like most people just shovel boost through the 8V and make good enough power and don't bother with the DOHC head.

Drove the 240 to Cincinnati last night, my dad does the detail and cleanup on stuff I sell, and the windshield is cracked, dealer cost on a windshield is low so its worth transporting to cincy. Car performed really well, just cruised at 90mph behind a new V70 wagon with new york tags for the 100 mile ride. Couple brief stints over 100 but 110 is about all in for the old girl. Talked to the previous owner and he said in 1990 on the highway in Italy about 110 was all they could get out of it. It wasn't cammed in 1990, but it was 250,000 miles fresher.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

It was a few years back--when 400 HP SR20DET's and 4G63's were still awe inspiring--that he was working on the twin cam turbo Volvo project...
CincinnatiFiero

Sold! I think my Volvo days are over.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Until you try an S60R :wink:
CincinnatiFiero

My dad has had 3 of them. Once you've had an AMG or an M car, frankly the S60R is a little pedestrian.
CincinnatiFiero

So here is a weird one. October 12th I took a cash deposit for the car. Guy said he'd be back in 10 days with a friend to get the car shuttled home. Never came. Finally got him on the phone, he was coming on another date. That day came and went. Never heard from him. Called and left a message that I was leaving town for close to 2 weeks so today was THE DAY to get it. Never heard back. Back in town 2 weeks later, relisted it and it sold in less than 24 hours. First car I've sold twice. I'm sure now that I've sold it he will come looking for his deposit money.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That's damn strange.