Video: Take a lap around PMP in a traction-challenged BMW

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Video: Take a lap around PMP in a traction-challenged BMW

Post by Aaron »

It was a fun day overall, but a complete waste of $100. I got about 4 laps in before blowing off a charge pipe that ended my day. It was fun though, would've liked for the rain not be fall down on the track, but I don't complain about rain! As usual the fastest cars there had the slowest drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4d9kU7Z_tE
Emc209i

Re: Video: Take a lap around PMP in a traction-challenged BM

Post by Emc209i »

That is the most annoying blowoff valve. Props to you for hazarding when the mustang span. Looks like a fun day.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nice. beat on it and still dead nuts reliable.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That looks like fun, nice driving. What doesn't look like fun is being 19 feet tall in a BMW with a helmet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:nice. beat on it and still dead nuts reliable.
Well... you know... except for that...
Aaron wrote: I got about 4 laps in before blowing off a charge pipe that ended my day.
Got T-bolt?

http://www.clampco.com/products/t-bolt-std.asp

:wink:

I've heard crazy things about the turbo M3's cooling systems... like they run the same oil temps on the track as on the highway. Is your car that overbuilt?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Even with the boost leak I've been driving it for the past several days. I take a lot of care limiting my throttle thereby limiting turbo RPM, but aside from the lack of boost it's run fine.

As for oil temps, umm, no. I didn't have the chance to limp mode it from oil temps, but it was well on its way. That's one of the weakspots of these cars actually. They do fine when stock with the 'is' and 'M' package (Larger air vents in bumper, larger cooling fan, etc). But once the boost is cranked up on the stock turbos, things get hot fast. The turbochargers are extremely inefficient at high boost, creating tons of heat.

Every connection point I have is T-bolt, although one does not have a bead around the pipe at the connection point, and it's in a high stress area (Hot side charge pipe to I/C). I figured this was where my leak was. But upon inspection, maybe not. Already building an aluminum replacement. Not real happy with BMW's clocking of the compressor, but oh well.

Youre looking down from the passenger side of the engine at the front turbocharger. Compressor faces forward (To your right), and you're basically looking straight down to the compressor outlet, which points at the exhaust manifold lol. The aluminum pipe at the bottom of the pic is the charge pipe from the rear turbo, they merge together just right of the pic, then dive down to the I/C.