Radiator End Tank Leaking

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Radiator End Tank Leaking

Post by Series8217 »

My radiator seems to be leaking between the end tank and the center section. The end tank does not appear to be cracked but I don't know for sure because I haven't had it pressure tested. I couldn't see anything broken.
Is it possible to remove the end tanks and just regasket them? I assume there's a big rubber seal or something on there?
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Same failure mode as on t3h blue car, which is why I put a new rad on it. If you could find the gaskets, that'd be cool. Dunno if the metal tabs will fatigue/break when you unbend them and rebend them though.

[edit]: t3h lolololololololol @ uhlanstan quote!
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Generally the plastic end tanks crack mid way down in the ribbed area. Seems to be more common with the automatic rads with the cooler.

Could be just a gasket, I've yet seen that, always cracked tanks. Gaskets are readily available from any shop that does rad work, they are only a couple bucks.

IF the shop want's to charge an arm and a leg for this, you can replace the gasket yourself. I've pried back the holding tabs carefully and swapped tanks around on different Fiero rads reclamping the tabs with a combination of visegrips / and bench vise.

Worse case if you try it yourself- you ruin the rad, but hey at this point it already needs replacing.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I've had that happen on one radiator brand-new, gasket was installed wrong. Sounds like a PITA to do, I personally would be pissed if I took the time to fix it and fucked it up.

I would replace it with a one-piece unit if they make them for the Fiero.