Cali Emissions Question

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Xanth

Cali Emissions Question

Post by Xanth »

I got an email recently through my site from someone trying to pass smog inspection with their Fiero in California.

Apparently there is a check they perform with a device attached to the fuel filler, their equipment does seem to fit the filler so they have failed his Smog and told him he needs to get a new fuel filler pipe.

However, his gas cap fits and seals fine. He sent me some pictures, is there anything apparent that would cause their emissions device to fail?

I am not familiar with the California emissions testing, if anyone can provide input on that procedure and what would need to be done I would appreciate it.

Image Image Image
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Never heard of it, just a test on the cap itself to make sure it seals right. Where in CA is he? Must be part of the new smog standards some of the big cities are implementing (such as testing on rollers at 25 mph).
<Insert Sig Here>
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

I t3h posted on t3h Old Europe.

I live in a SMOG II area and have had to do the on the dyno 15/25MPH test since they started doing it, and have never heard of anything that goes onto your filler neck. I've seen them screw the gas cap onto this test recepticle to see if it seals correctly, but that's it.

As far as I know, doesn't the same basic gas cap fit most (if not all) GM vehicles made since the 80's? The only time I've heard of the filler neck being different is when they changed from leaded fuel to unleaded and added that restriction bit in there to prevent the leaded nozzles from fitting.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

He lives in the San Francisco area, and so far everyone in the area has agreed this should not be an issue :scratch:

I've suggested he take it to another station, possible these guys just want to fail old cars and charge for repairs.

Do Cali cars have to pass emissions every year? Here in mass its every two, and thats just a sniffer test.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Every 2 years. SF is hippie save-the-endangered-yellow-billed-red-winged-blue-billed-orange-flippered-green-tailed-platafishduck
central, so it wouldn't be any surprise to me if they'd implemented even more stringent smog standards than anywhere else. Still, I've never heard of that test before. Tell him to take it to another shop, out of SF if he has to. The DMV doesn't care where you get the test done, just that you get it done. I'm in San Jose and I had mine tested in Hollister (50 miles away, cause I knew a guy).
<Insert Sig Here>
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Fastback86 wrote:Every 2 years. SF is hippie save-the-endangered-yellow-billed-red-winged-blue-billed-orange-flippered-green-tailed-platafishduck
central, so it wouldn't be any surprise to me if they'd implemented even more stringent smog standards than anywhere else. Still, I've never heard of that test before. Tell him to take it to another shop, out of SF if he has to. The DMV doesn't care where you get the test done, just that you get it done. I'm in San Jose and I had mine tested in Hollister (50 miles away, cause I knew a guy).
Yeah, having worked in SF and the entire bay area for 4 years I concur on the possibility of SF implementing its own pole polishing cerimony to the process smog certification for the purposes of asserting their blind, emotional disorder driven "logic" on unwilling victims. :fart: :puke:

I'd tell em to get the hell outta there and go anywhere else. Unless SF has taken a step above Smog II in order to make it harder on car owners, no such thing exists.