Setting the timing on a 2.8

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

SGT.ROCK

Setting the timing on a 2.8

Post by SGT.ROCK »

What would happen if you replaced your distributor,dist.cap,spark plugs,and plug wires and you went to set your timing and didnt run the jumper wire on the pcm in the car?Would it retain the old timing but be screwed up at the distributor and possibly make the car idle ok and run smooth up to a certain RPM while driving but once you started to hammer on the car it starts missing at around 3500 RPM? :scratch:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

It'll be off. I'm too tired to remember which direction but you want the jumper in.

IIRC using the jumper kills the advance, so setting the timing without the jumper would result in the timing being retarded.

Without the jumper the computer will advance the timing, and as a result you will have to retard it to get the marks to line up.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah. The jump tells the computer to leave the timing alone, so all you get is the mechanical advance when you set it. If you leave the jumper off, the computer is jockeying the timing for idle stability and such. If you didn't jumper it, you should have seen the mark jumping around as you were trying to set the timing.
SGT.ROCK

Post by SGT.ROCK »

Well I did that and for some reason I still have a REAL bad miss above 3500rpm.I guess when the car cools down I'll recheck the plugs and plug wires and make sure everything gettin a good connection! :cussing: