Painting Cars Sux

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

groovieguy

Painting Cars Sux

Post by groovieguy »

I never knew what was involved with a complete, change color paint job :bootyshake:

Sure I have painted things with a can of spray paint, so how much harder is a whole car.
I knew it would be hard but wasn't prepared for all this BS too.

Short/Long story
I bought the car last year, Silver SE-V6, 66K miles, all options except rear defog, and Sub. Paint perfect except faded wing so had it re-painted.
Added new rims and replace brakes on the front and Grand Am rears.

Always liked the FastBack so when I was at a Junk yard I made a deal that I would trade two boxes of Earnhardt Collectibles for anything off the GT in the yard.

Asked wife are you sure we want to do this as the car was perfect, she says Yes honey then bats her Baby Blues and shakes her tits at me :thumbleft:
How could I say NO??
This all started in January.

Well finally got it all preped and primed the pieces that needed it.
Sand, Sand and more sanding.

Monday got the tents set up to put everything in there,, so I can paint.

The paint I got was PPG BC/CC off of Ebay, figured name brand good stuff. Followed the directions and started to spray.
Well it looked alittle thin but hell I never painted before and besides that I followed the directions, right? Shoot I shot the primer and that went great.
Well it looks like the paint was no good (OLD). I took a couple painted pieces to my firends and he said it should've been smoother and from the looks of it and the fact that Black paint should've covered in 2-3 coats and it didn't.

Now I ordered new paint and clearcoat and will have to sand some more and hopefully this time I will get it right. Shit I will end up with about 5 coats of Base on it.
Maybe by next week it will be finished.

Should've spent the 2K for someone to paint it.
I've had 3 neck surgeries so this really takes a toll on my pain levels :blah5:
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

I found Waldo, now im looking for the tech part of this post.

anyone......
groovieguy

Post by groovieguy »

The tech part is don't paint your own car unless you know what you are doing.

There that was easy.

I still haven't found Waldo.
KissMySSFiero

Post by KissMySSFiero »

so how much did you save on the Ebay paint? I can buy enough black base coat to paint a fiero for about $50.

Someone on this forum always bitches about how cheap fiero owners are. Somethings you just don't go cheap. Paint and primer are two examples.
groovieguy

Post by groovieguy »

Thats almost what I just paid $73 for the basecoat+ another $100 for the rest of the kit. I probably could use the clear that I got but I don't want to chance it
I spent $100 on the PPG shit that I got off ebay so I wasn't going cheap. I thought it was a deal for a namebrand, just turns out it was Old.
So don't assume I am cheap, far from it.
I just don't want to throw good money into a Fiero, because no matter how much you put into it, it will always be a Fiero nothing more, and not worth much more.
It is for my son when he gets his license, so I want it to look good for him. Then when he graduates H.S. he gets a Brand New Mini. So the car only has to last 4 years. When he gets the Fiero, I will start a new project, a true muscle car.

Do I want a deal, sure who doesn't?