Damn tail light wire harnesses!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Nemesis
ass

Damn tail light wire harnesses!

Post by Nemesis »

Right now I am swapping a fastback and a notchback (swapping them between Fieros). The now fasty is an 85. It only lights up the yellow lights when I hit the brakes (actually one yellow on the left and both on the right, might be a blown bulb, might not). The now notchy is an 88 coupe with a V6 (used the entire wire harness from an 86SE V6 from the fuse panel to the firewall to the rear lights). The 88 gets nothing to the rear lights except the reverse lights. When I turn on the blinkers, the reverse lights blink with them and the blinkers slow down.

Help, dammit!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I dont' know what to say but I would think that if you swapped over both harnesses it should have been a stragith bolt in affair.

Its quite obvious something is wrong though. I can't help you out. Might be a C500 thing you haev to work out.
txf

Post by txf »

Ok second try to post this.

If you are trying to convert a notchback to a Fastback especially the 85 then this is what you have to do. If the turn signals on the Fastback lights are working with the brakes and blinkers then follow these directions.

You need a piece of 14 guage wire the length of the car or more. Next you need SOLDER , Soldering Iron, and heatshrink that fits 14 guage wire.

Since this will be permanent solder your connections.

First goto the brake pedal. On it will be a white switch with a White Wire and an Orange Wire connected to it. Follow the White wire for about 2 inches and CUT IT. Next strip the end that is comming from the switch. Take your length of wire and place a piece of heatshrink over it first and slide it about a foot down. Next solder your connection to resemble a straight piece of wire. Slide the heat shrink over the connection and shrink it tightly.
The other piece of the white wire needs to be folded over and heatshrinked to cover the end of it.

Run the length of wire under the center consol and follow the loom of wire that goes to the C500. (By the Battery) Once you have this wire in that location besure to use Gromets and blick silicone at teh Firewalls or you will short this wire out. Take the Light Blue Wire from the Fastback taillights wiring harness and snip it at the c500 Ir save some length.

Take your New wire, Strip it, and prep the heat shrink onto the wire. Solder the new wire to this light blue wire.

Now go hit the brakes, turn signals, tail lights andhazards to ensure it's all working properly.
txf

Post by txf »

Ok I just figured out you are swapping between two cars fastback becomming a notchback and the notchback becomming a fastback. I believe there is more to it than the above. I figured your only problem was the brake lights not working properly. As soon as I get the rest of the schematics I need I can spell it out for you in plain english. The above post is correct for the brake lights it has to be done. BUT the 88 may be just simply moving a couple wires in the C500 plug to match the 88 notchie C500.
txf

Post by txf »

I'll try to get you the info you need tonight so stay tuned. If anyone has a scanner and an 88 FSM I need the notchie and Fastback lighting schematics please.
txf

Post by txf »

I'll try to get you the info you need tonight so stay tuned. If anyone has a scanner and an 88 FSM I need the notchie and Fastback lighting schematics please.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

Mostly what I am worried about is the 88. It has been about 6 years since I made it a fastback (originally a Coupe) but I am pretty sure all I did was plug in the fastback harness and everything was fine. Now I plug in the notchy (from an 85) harness all this happens. I discovered the fan goes off if I turn on the park lights. the blinkers blink in the front and dash indicators work until I turn the park lights on, then they work again if I turn on the headlights. This is messed up.

I have the fastback harness on it right now since the fan and everything works like it should. What I was going to do is just put a couple brake lights and a blinker in the notcht lights. Until I discovered the tabs on the bulb houses won't let that happen.

If I can get the bulbs rewired to the right housings from the notchy harness, I'd be a happy camper.

I'm trying to make it to Osage Beach.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I got it fixed. Took the easy way out and notched the sockets in the notchy tail lights and used the fastback harness. Not sure what I am going to do with the fastback car.
txf

Post by txf »

If you could follow pinouts and know how to pull pins from the C500 I could get you through this all I need is someone to donate to me pinouts between the 88 Notchie, 88 Fastback (from 88FSM) and the 85 tail lights.

After that it would be like take Brown wire from A5 and put it in A3 If you could lay the harnesses side by side you can easily figure it out for the 88. Only downfall is the Notchie Tail light is slightly different.