CO2 chillers

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

txf wrote:The CO2 will probibly eliminate teh need for the H2O injection. Cooler Air means less spark retard needed.
yeah thats what I was thinking - it makes a good alternative to water alchy spraying for a 3800sc
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

The Co2 thing is interesting, but I think as far as FI engines go, I would rather spray a 50/50 mix of meth/h2o. Not only does the vaporization of the mix cool the intake down, the alky is aobut 110-120 octane rating depending on what kind you use. Also, the steam created by the water will help remove carbon outta your combustion chamber, the back side of your ex. values and your valve faces.
Sure co2 cools your intake temps way down, but there is a point of diminishing returns when your fuel doesn't want to atomize and stay suspended in the intake runners.
If you ever see an alky dragster's carb, ice is always forming on them because of the temp drop created by alky.
Just seems that if you can drop temps, steam clean pistons and raise octane its a better way to go for a FI engine.
But hey, someone test it out and see what does better, then we will really know since all of this is just speculation lab crap :)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

50/50 mix is way too much water!!!!!

And water injection is a bandaid
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I don't think he's talking about just running the engine off that mixture.
Shaun41178(2) wrote:50/50 mix is way too much water!!!!!

And water injection is a bandaid
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

50/50 mix is the best compromise for street use. Every really streetable GnX I have seen using an alky injeciton system uses 50/50 and sometimes 60/40. But yes it is a bandaid.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

teamlseep13 wrote:The Co2 thing is interesting, but I think as far as FI engines go, I would rather spray a 50/50 mix of meth/h2o. Not only does the vaporization of the mix cool the intake down, the alky is aobut 110-120 octane rating depending on what kind you use. Also, the steam created by the water will help remove carbon outta your combustion chamber, the back side of your ex. values and your valve faces.
Sure co2 cools your intake temps way down, but there is a point of diminishing returns when your fuel doesn't want to atomize and stay suspended in the intake runners.
If you ever see an alky dragster's carb, ice is always forming on them because of the temp drop created by alky.
Just seems that if you can drop temps, steam clean pistons and raise octane its a better way to go for a FI engine.
But hey, someone test it out and see what does better, then we will really know since all of this is just speculation lab crap :)
well on the series 3 3800sc's liquid injection is a bad idea since the SC rotors are coated oversized and running the engine wears the coating in to hold closer tolerances - this coating can be blasted off by the liquid - however pre-chilling the air will give the SC an extra dense cold charge to make it more efficient plus it will heat the air from compression and conduction so atomization of the fuel where it enteres after the SC shouldn't be any worse than stock.

on a turbocharged car having that inline before the turbo with a normal intercooler after the turbo could be interesting.. cold dense air entering the compressor side could be a huge bump in efficiency

I think it'd be interesting to experiment with
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

oh i would never introduce the injection system before any FI device, but just before the throttle. as for the supercharger, ya its kinda hard to do much of any injection system unless you really wanna get serious and plump a send set of injectors.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A second set on injectors on a turbo L67 is not hard... Just dump the SC and slap on N/A intake manifold. You'll have injector bosses in the heads and injector bosses in the manifold.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the injector bosses on the SC are in the heads?

So that means the NA heads and SC heads are two different part numbers?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

affirmative
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Get the hell out of here.

Damn I didnt' even know that.

Glad I got out of bed today. :thumbleft: