Look what followed me home:

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What happened to the trans?

Ruptured cooler line? pan leak?
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Actually it looks like it all came out of the dipstick hole. The dipstick is still in place and bolted down.

Someone that I know that runs an auto shop said that if the TQ converter breaks it can let go of all the fluid inside of it and fill the transmission with a lot of extra fuel and it will find a place to escape at.

That's kind of what we think may have happened.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Are you going to dyno this motor or did I miss it? You have one of the heaviest modified n/a pushrods I've seen yet. I'd love to see how much power you are making.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

just add fluid to it to see if it shifts normal again.

When auto trannies get low on fluid they don't work anymore. Why? Because they are hydraulic and need fluid to work.

So like I said put some fluid in it and go for a drive. Check for leaks and I bet it will shift fine again till all the oil leaks out again.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

again, my local friends/people I know are wrong about what is wrong with my car. :scratch: :thumbleft:

I cleaned up the engine compartment, and got started looking around for where the fluid was coming out and I found a burst rubber line for the tranny cooler.

I had to get under the car to see it, but it only took 20 minutes to spot and replace.

5 pints of fluid later and it drives/shifts just fine.

I have not dynoed the car yet. It is still not tuned at all.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I love being right. about it just being low fluid

same thign happened to my car. Just the rubbing against something else over time wears the rubber line down. Mine fortunately started leaking as I was backing into my driveway and I spotted the trail as I was backing up. Same thing happened, split rubber line from the cooler.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Did another car show yesterday:

Now I just have to stop doing car shows and get this thing tuned up...
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Tonight I raced my Fiero for the first time. We raced up to 90mph and I lost by around 1.5 car lengths.

The other guy was a Ford Mustang SVO with an upgraded turbo and that's all.

He honked the horn to go and got a good jump on me. This was the first time I had ever launched an automatic, let alone raced my Fiero at all. At about 35mph I caught up to him and we stayed completely even up until I hit 3rd gear. When I shifted at 4K RPMs there wasn't much power until I hit 5K then it started pulling again. Weird huh...

So, my first race, my first loss.

I have Sinister Performance getting a new chip ready for an updated tune, and I will be putting the WCF high-perf. intake back on very soon.

The SVO has run at a couple tracks this summer already and his best time was a 14.8 second, and his worst was a 15.2 second. His 14.8 second time had a trap speed of 85mph.

I think if I can get my launch down, finish the tune and get the aftermarket upper intake working correctly I can hit mid- low 14's pretty easily. If I can't get a 14.2 then I will drop the money on a nitrous setup...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Ditch the auto and you'll be there with no engine mods.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

yea I know...

Here's the thing though. If my end goal was to go fast, I wouldn't be driving a fiero. :thumbleft:

My upcoming undergraduate present to myself is a 350Z.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Picking up half a second from a launch is going to be very tough. Not to mention you weren't catching him on the top end which means you don't have the mph to pull you to a quicker e.t even if you have a bad launch.

Most autos launch to around 2.1-2.2 60 ft times. Thats going to be hard to improve upon without some sort of forced induction.

Nice death anyways. I like the SVO's
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I'm thinking with simply upgrading the transmission I could be faster, right?

I'm thinking a 2700 RPM stall, new shift kit and all in a rebuilt 4t40 transmission.
coinage

Post by coinage »

maybe i missed it but why not just throw in a 4 speed or a 5 speed?
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

because my end goal with this car is not to be fast, but to have a "quick" fun to drive cruiser. I found a car with working cruise, A/C, and an auto on purpose. :)
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Got the new OEM GT front bumper today. Came from Florida - it is an original OEM bumper that has never been installed or painted, and it shows. If you were to shine it up just a little it looks like black paint.

I really want to be an idiot and put it on before it's painted, but I'll try really hard to wait... :blah5:
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Got my second custom EPROM from Sinister Performance and it made a significant improvement on driveability. The cold-starting is not nearly as difficult and the 2-3Krpm stumbling is almost totally gone.

The only engine related issue that I have not been able to make any progress on is that my IAC counts drop to zero on a regular basis.

Ryan suggests that it means one of 4 things:
Vacuum Leak
Bad IAC
Bad IAC wiring
Bad ECM

It is a fairly new ( 2 months) IAC motor, and I am reading pretty good vacuum levels on the engine so I don't think it has a leak any more. I think I will bring it to a shop and have them do some diagnostics on it to help me figure out what is wrong.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

oh yea, and my new bumper will be painted and installed next Monday! :afrocool:
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Had the fiero in a 4th of July parade this weekend:

And here's the car club video of the parade - shows the viper, supra and ferrari very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=142WOdMaZps

We trailered the Fiero so it wouldn't stink like oil during the parade... :fart:
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Just in time for this weekend's car show I got some more exterior mods done to the car. GT Front Bumper, Tinted Rear Tails, Vinyl "eyelids" on the flushmount lights:

I put the vinyl eye lids on the exterior light housings in an effort to lower the height of the HID output. I do not have projectors, so they just kinda go all over the place and I think this will help a lot.