Yet another reason why Christianity is pathetic......

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:But thatnks for empirically going thru my assertions point by point :scratch:
Kohburn wrote:but we've gotten into religion discussions before and it was obvious a long time ago that you are just on a soap box and uninterested in seeing another view.
Ditto. EBS, you've made it abundantly clear that you have made up your mind and have absolutely no interest in discussion. You might as well be the lunatic on the street corner holding the "REPENT" sign.

And... yeah, I don't need to go through your assertions as they are irrelevant to the point of being frivolous (the legal definition) in the ontology in which you are trying to argue.
Not true, kinda sad when a guy, who as I recall is an engineer, divorces a post about methodology and assumes one of avoidance..... kinda my point, the scientific method is logical and the religious approach pathetic. Well, you've applied the religious approach to a scientific offering.

I'm not saying there isn't a God or Jebus, I'm just saying the approach to, "prove" that there is one of each is riddled with improbabilities.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You might as well be the lunatic on the street corner holding the "REPENT" sign.

And you might as well be the engineer in your meetings saying that aside from all the data, Jebus would want X engineered this way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>And... yeah, I don't need to go through your assertions as they are irrelevant to the point of being frivolous (the legal definition) in the ontology in which you are trying to argue.

I understand; a cop out, running from science to, "prove" Jebus, or at least to avoid evidence that draws the theory of God / Jebus into question. Do you approach your engineering tasks that way too; "I don't need to read all of the test data to know which way we should go with this." BRILLIANT. :scratch:
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Indy wrote:
There's probably a lot of tuna out there thinking they're the biggest fish in the sea, too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm a Christian...I'm not sure what the whole deal is with being overwhelmed with 1 death per second.

I'm not overwhelmed, just think it's ridiculous to think that in < 1 second, 24/7 that it could be pallatable that this review process could occur.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I doubt that a omnipotent being would have nearly as much trouble with that as we might...Consider this though...A high-end graphics card can do about 1 trillion mathematical computations per second.

OK, so what is it, Jebus / God are supercomputers or is it that they designed us in their image? Amazing how the various races and their gods all tend to look like them. If I didn't know better I would think that these people actually conjured their gods in their own image than other the otherway around as is advertised.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It's silly to discredit something in the name of "science" because you can't understand it.

Oh, so if I don't believe then I am too stupid to understand..... can't figure out why I'm disinterested in the methodology of religion. Isn't this how Salem worked? Same kind of logic..... Also, I'm just drawing in question how it could be that 1 person, maybe 2 could honestly and accurately check the files of 150k people per day? And all teh miracles he/they supposedly do as well...... and where is Jebus's Jacuzi time? When does he go to the Bahamas for a vacation? Most importantly, when does he take a dump and does he still evaluate people for heaven/hell during this time? I don't wanna be one of those evaluated while he's pushing out a turd, or is it that he does 3 or 4 per second to make up for dumpy time. Get it, the logistics are just silly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EB, do you believe in the sciences because you were taught by someone when you were a child, or because you JUST KNEW it must be right?

FUCKING THANK YOU!!!!! Is it so fucking hard to understand that we believe as we're trained by our environment, the people who raise us? You believe as you do due to the people who raised you as do I. There is a crossover, people realizing religion is BS and people buying into the BS from a position of logic, but that is my point here. Another main point is that the religious probablity is in question when looking at the dynamics, eg. 1.74 people evaluated per second.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>It's also silly to try to ignore an easily explainable scientific fact in the name of religion. But, both have been done, both are being done, and both will be done.

Well then explain them w/o using, "God works in mysterious ways."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I believe that God created this world (using WHATEVER manner, does it matter?) and bound us and the universe to his created laws of physics. He gave us a curious nature and a desire to learn so we could thrive in this world. To try to pit religion and a "scientific" explanation of the world together is probably a losing battle for both sides, because both are necessary.

And let me guess....... the people who raised you have similar beliefs.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Blue Shift wrote:Im another one of them there Christan types... that also likes and works with science. To each, their own, man... To each, their own.

EB, you've sucessfully convinced everybody that you don't believe... Ok.

Well, I find it hard to believe, but as a person of science, I don't shut the door, as that would be ignorant. Evidence could surface to make it more likely that there is a God, but until then, I find it improbable.

For sure, to each their own. The only kind of Christians I despise are the ones who legislate their beliefs onto others based upon some fantasy belief. I would despise scientists inteh same light who do the same thing based on junk science.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

lucky80 wrote:Completely wrong? Source please.
Source? Isaac Newton. F = ma. No force was applied to the earth, therefore no change in earth's rotation occured. The only way that the earth's rotation could change from a single event is if it acquired angular momentum from a meteor impacting tangentially.

Yes, the earth's axis can "wobble" due to changing mass distribution within the planet. This effect is exceptionally tiny. To even mention it is to overstate its importance. The masses are significant, but the relative motion was less than 50 yards. For comparison, 6 degrees at the surface of the earth is over 400 miles. What you said differs from reality by a factor of ~14,600.
Oh, so you can be logical and empirical, just not with religion.....kinda you caviat from logic......
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
lucky80 wrote:

Sorry, Shaun, but it was religious people, not religion that said the Earth was the center of the universe, and back then you either went along with what was believed or you were burned as a witch. Nowhere in the Bible, in any version, does it say the Earth is the center of the universe, it was common belief back then, and since the religious leaders held more power than the government leaders (in most "civilized" countries), you are correct in spirit, but not in fact. I know my history quite well, thank you. I also know most major religions quite well, though I currently don't practice any religion.
It was religious people then. Religious people teach religion. Actually the church said the earth was flat and tought people it was flat. Yes it doesnt' say that in the bible, but it was still religion and religious teachers taht made that claim. There are also a lot of things not in the bible that catholcism and christianity teach to its followers. Why is that so?

What do you think religion is? Its the practice by people that make religion what it is. If there wasn't anyone to practice a religion, then it wouldnt' exist.

He's just being semantic. ANy entity is expressed by its teachers and other representatives. This is the same logic that people use when they incorporate and commit crimes under the guise of that corporation saying it wasn't them, it was that damn corporation.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

Chris-Nelson wrote:
Chris-Nelson wrote:EB, please empirically go through all of these assertions point by point.

Thank you. :salute:
please?

I've read 3 one-liners from u so far in this thread, should I honor your request? Do I need to waste keystrokes? In spite of your non-offerings, I think you're an intelligent person, I think you can read my original post in this thread and figure it out, ask intelligent questions if you wish.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Dude... EB, please resize that image of yours. Not everyone has 22" wide screen HD monitors.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

DiggityBiggity wrote:Dude... EB, please resize that image of yours. Not everyone has 22" wide screen HD monitors.
Nor do I - I have a pos 7 yo laptop. How do I do that, I asked back earlier, I dont wanna piss anyone off, just dont know how to do it.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

EBSB52 wrote:
DiggityBiggity wrote:Dude... EB, please resize that image of yours. Not everyone has 22" wide screen HD monitors.
Nor do I - I have a pos 7 yo laptop. How do I do that, I asked back earlier, I dont wanna piss anyone off, just dont know how to do it.
Resize in a photo editor, such as Photochop, upload the image to a photobucket type site, use that URL to post it.
lucky

Post by lucky »

EBSB52- You have obviously made up your mind about many things, which I find ironic because science is supposed to be about the pursuit of truth, not bashing things which you can't wrap your mind around.

All your arguing about Jesus' jacuzzi time and checking people's files is irrelevant. One of the basic tenets of Judeo-Christianity is that God is all powerful and all knowing.

Of course we conjure our image of God in our own image. Every image of Jesus you find in this country is of a caucasian; Jesus was not only Jewish, he was from the middle east, he wouldn't have that creamy white complexion.
Also, the name we translate as Adam, is ancient Hebrew for "the color of earth" so Adam & Eve were probably closer to black than white.

"Proving" that God exists would make religion pointless. If God came down and said "Here I am, let me prove it in any tangible way you please," then the next day everyone would be in church praying for salvation. Completely eliminating FAITH. Believing without seeing is another cornerstone of religion, eliminate it and religion is pointless.

As for Darwin, he himself said evolution was improbable in his later years, and yet "science" still accepts it as fact.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

lucky80 wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>EBSB52- You have obviously made up your mind about many things, which I find ironic because science is supposed to be about the pursuit of truth, not bashing things which you can't wrap your mind around.

Not sure what I think of religion/Christianity has to do with its actual presence or not - more of an Ad Hominem - my beliefs don't affect the probability of Christianity, my presence on this earth won't affect anything except for a carbon footprint I leave behind.

As for making up my mind, I just post and exhibit evidence and see what others do with it; no one has really addressed it, not even in a God / Jebus Twilight Zone fashion. But I am really open to any all evidence, just not hocus pocus and I am the same way with a scientific argument.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All your arguing about Jesus' jacuzzi time and checking people's files is irrelevant. One of the basic tenets of Judeo-Christianity is that God is all powerful and all knowing.

The former is sarcasm, the later about all-knowing is the hocus pocus to which I refer as poop. OK, so you have others who are willing to buy into the hocus pocus, awesome, just don't be dissapointed when the seculars refuse to buy it, especially when you are EXTREMELY critical of evidence they might have, evidence that is supported with artifacts and other tangible things.

As for checking files for naughtiness vs niceness, actually irrelevant because as we have it written we can be the most heinous of bastards, murderers and get thru the pearly gates, well, we have to be screened for having given our soul to Jebus, as it is written, and we are afforded < 1 second for this process? SO Jebus is a super-computer? So much for us being made in his image. Either he is an immortal human, like us but immortal, or he is nothing like us, right?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Of course we conjure our image of God in our own image. Every image of Jesus you find in this country is of a caucasian; Jesus was not only Jewish, he was from the middle east, he wouldn't have that creamy white complexion.

Great point, further supporting my point that it is a self-created haox to coerce. I've used that point all the time, a black guy posed it to me years ago and I agree. Think of all the ugly things Christianity has been used for: antimiscegenation, slavery, murder, excommunication, etc....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Also, the name we translate as Adam, is ancient Hebrew for "the color of earth" so Adam & Eve were probably closer to black than white.

Didn't know that, but weren't they from the Garden of Eden? Where was that, a mystical place akin to Greek mythology?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"Proving" that God exists would make religion pointless.

And that's the crux of my point; it's not about the reality, the actuality, it's about some intentionally unknown, using BS methods opposed to science to believe BS non-evidence and pose it as evidence. IF the thumpers would quit pretending that the Bible and every tortilla and screen door were real evidence and that these things are just for fun, it would be pallatable, but they produce these jokes as real and get angry when not believed - the worst is when they legislate with their nutty, ill-supported beliefs. Remember, Salem was essentially entirely about Christianity-based idiocy; they would execute usually women who wouldn't submit.

But I understand the faith is the key, if it were real and we knew it then it would remove the X factor. All that argument does is to push it further into the Twilight Zone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If God came down and said "Here I am, let me prove it in any tangible way you please," then the next day everyone would be in church praying for salvation. Completely eliminating FAITH. Believing without seeing is another cornerstone of religion, eliminate it and religion is pointless.

I choose to believe that religions are generally pointless, but I just believe in the scientific method - silly me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>As for Darwin, he himself said evolution was improbable in his later years, and yet "science" still accepts it as fact.

You mean evolution from ape to man. Evolution theories happen all day long, natural selection is the prevallent phenomenon around. I have never read that Darwin stated that man-to-ape evolution is improbable; enlighten me. But he has never disavowed the elements of evolution.

EDITED TO ASK: Where has science stated things as fact? Where have they stated things as proof? You might carefully find a rendering of teh former, but not the later. No one has had the cookies to challenge my assertion that responsible science won't use, "proof" and that the use of, "fact" i used, is carefully used on things like, "although it is fact that there is life on earth......"

I think you went to church and heard, "I have proof of Jebus by the feeling in my heart........bla, bla, bla......" Or got to court: I have proof that the defendant killed the victim......." Science isn't that pathetic, they form a hypothesis or two, test them and formulate a theory, perhaps a law for things like gravity, but some scientists refuse to even do that. Scientists realize they are naive, Christianity knows they know it all and lawyers who argue in court are just hit-men who claim to have all the answers to the highest bidder. Of teh 3, scientists get my credibility.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:
Resize in a photo editor, such as Photochop, upload the image to a photobucket type site, use that URL to post it.
Dude... come on already. I have a HUGE monitor, and that shit is getting on my nerves.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Thanks! :thumbleft:
lucky

Post by lucky »

Darwinism is taught in schools as if it were fact. That is what I meant to say. It is presented as something that has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt; when in reality it is a theory that has not been irrefutably proven.

As for the garden of eden, it's my understanding that contemporary biblical scholars place it's location somewhere in or near modern day Iraq. I don't recall if the Tigris & Euphrates rivers still bear those names, but that was where it supposedly was.

Edit: It is my understanding that Darwin recanted everything about evolutionary theory on his deathbed.
As far as I'm concerned natural selection and evolution are 2 different things. Evolution implies a more complex organism developing out of a less complex one. Natural selection implies adaptation, not new species.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

So I just skimmed this. Oh so briefly. But let me see if I got the gist of it. God cant exist because he couldn't handle hiring enough bouncers? Wow, that's bleak. I prefer to believe that we are all given eternal life, and eternity has no beginning as well as no end, therefore we all have always existed, therefore we are all part of the consiousness that is God. If there is no God, then our existence is a lie. Fit Christ wherever you choose to into the scenario, personally I don't think that when we die we will have identity, we will simply absorb back into the Godhead consciousness.

Did I BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND?
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

And Ed, I live in Salinas. I get enough of belligerent Mexicans. Your avatar would bug the fuck out of me even if it didn't take up half the page.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

stimpy wrote:So I just skimmed this. Oh so briefly. But let me see if I got the gist of it. God cant exist because he couldn't handle hiring enough bouncers? Wow, that's bleak. I prefer to believe that we are all given eternal life, and eternity has no beginning as well as no end, therefore we all have always existed, therefore we are all part of the consiousness that is God. If there is no God, then our existence is a lie. Fit Christ wherever you choose to into the scenario, personally I don't think that when we die we will have identity, we will simply absorb back into the Godhead consciousness.

Did I BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND?
I'm with you Stimptser

:thumbleft:
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

You know what I just noticed Stimpy... you and I joined on the same date, and you have 2000 more posts than I do... Do you need help? RFTA? (Real Fiero Tech Anonymous)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

He actually visits the OTHER sections on this board :la:
DiggityBiggity wrote:You know what I just noticed Stimpy... you and I joined on the same date, and you have 2000 more posts than I do... Do you need help? RFTA? (Real Fiero Tech Anonymous)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

EBSB52 wrote:
EBSB52 wrote:But thatnks for empirically going thru my assertions point by point :scratch:
Kohburn wrote:but we've gotten into religion discussions before and it was obvious a long time ago that you are just on a soap box and uninterested in seeing another view.
Ditto. EBS, you've made it abundantly clear that you have made up your mind and have absolutely no interest in discussion. You might as well be the lunatic on the street corner holding the "REPENT" sign.

And... yeah, I don't need to go through your assertions as they are irrelevant to the point of being frivolous (the legal definition) in the ontology in which you are trying to argue.
Not true, kinda sad when a guy, who as I recall is an engineer, divorces a post about methodology and assumes one of avoidance..... kinda my point, the scientific method is logical and the religious approach pathetic. Well, you've applied the religious approach to a scientific offering.

I'm not saying there isn't a God or Jebus, I'm just saying the approach to, "prove" that there is one of each is riddled with improbabilities.

I understand; a cop out, running from science to, "prove" Jebus, or at least to avoid evidence that draws the theory of God / Jebus into question. Do you approach your engineering tasks that way too; "I don't need to read all of the test data to know which way we should go with this." BRILLIANT. :scratch:
Avoidance: Is it a doctrine of avoidance when a judge throws out a frivolous argument? No. He doesn't even have to pay attention to it because it's so absurd.

If you want to argue the existence or not of the Christian God, then you must argue within the framework established by Christian beliefs. Otherwise you are not logically consistent.

What you're doing is like saying that some earth moving equipment is a piece of junk because the divergence of a curl is zero. You're not even in the same zip code as far as reasoning goes.

The real thing you don't get is that science and religion don't overlap. Science can use words like "knowledge" and "evidence". Faith is called "faith" for a reason.