N* and the 1/4 mile

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

N* and the 1/4 mile

Post by crzyone »

Well this car is easy to drag race. It hooks well and is easy to shift quickly.

Here is my quickest run
60' 1.878
330' 5.499
1/8 8.504
MPH 83.01
1000 11.122
1/4 13.342
MPH 101.8

The car has 12s in it. It was 95* in the shade, no idea how hot it was on the track but the car was getting faster as the sun went away. I did 5 runs and they went like this

They were the most consistant times I've ever seen. The only one that was 1/10 slower is when I spun on the line.

If I still have the car in September I will race it again, hopefully for a 12 second run. I may go back for more tuning to cure my high rpm miss which has never really gone away. I did install properly gapped Iridium plugs with no change in the way it runs. I'm also thinking about different less restrictive mufflers. These generic mufflers gotta go.

Just to ad.... The getrag 5 speed that I have is a POS for gearing.... 1 2 and 3 are fine but there is a HUGE rpm drop between 3 and 4. If the gap was not so large I would have been over 106mph I'm sure. It makes me want to go back to a Munci 4 speed. I'm not sure what FWD car my gertag came from but the ratios for 1/4 mile drag racing suck.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Good times for a stock nstar. I would have thought your mph would have been higher but you did mention the hot weather which of course plays a a huge roll. I say you have a 106 mph in there too based on your hp come fall.

Yes once hitting 4th gear does suck unless you have the tq to help pull you through it. A small 50 shot would do wonders for that but the gear does still not help

What was your launch technique since your 60's are like mine

Thanks for posting your times.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I have the shorter 4th in my car. I highly recommend getting one if you stick with the N* car and the Getrag and have to rebuild it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I ran 106 with a bad tune, so you should definitely be able to grab 106 with a good tune.

When I ran my 12.86 the temp was 70's, but the humidity was 80-90%.

I raced a cam/exhaust SS Camaro once. We were give/take up to about 90 when I ran out of 3rd and had to go to 4th. He put about 1.5 cars on me from 90-110. If I'd had the 1.03 fourth, that certainly would have been less and I may have even been able to stick with him until he had to come out of third, at which point I would have started to pull on him.

The trans that's in the car now has the 2.19 second and 1.03 fourth. I haven't had a chance to drive that combo hard because of the head gasket issues with my temp engine. When I get the new engine in, I'll swap over to the 3.94 final. That'll cut my top speed in 4th from over 140 to about 120, which I think is about perfect. I'll have 20% more wheel torque on hand at any speed in 4th with that combo.

[benchrace]
With that gear change and the mods to my shortblock, I think 12.5's at 109 will be cake. That's with stock intake, stock heads, stock L37 cams and stock exhaust manifolds.
[/benchrace]
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Ok, so what is the transmission with the shorter 4th? What cars did it come in? 4th gear is brutal.

I don't really need a launch technique. I can just do a low rpm dump and I have just enough torque in 1st not to spin the tires and to grab hard. I did try and do a bit higher rpm but as you can see I spun my wheels and had a slower time.

No burnout at the waterbox, just went around it. Like I said, it's really an easy car to get everything out of. I was going to leave after my 2nd 13.5, I didn't feel there was anything I could do to go faster. I was really frustrated with 4th gear and how it felt like I was just waiting for the race to end as soon as I shifted into it.