100' Shootout

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

100' Shootout

Post by crzyone »

I took my fiero to a 100' shootout yesterday and got 2nd place in the V-8 street tire class. I managed a 2.804 which was fast but I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st gear by about the 80' mark. It wasn't worth shifting to 2nd, it would have slowed me down.

The car that beat me was a SBC fiero built by Troy Ritchie, the guy in Red Deer with the 383 on nitrous, famous for his bunny hopping video. The guy driving it was an experienced 100' drag racer and he beat me by one hundreth of a second on his last run of the day... I was in 1st all day until he pulled that one off.

Only way I could be faster is to get cams and springs from CHRFAB, raise my redline to around 7500rpm and I might redline at 90' instead of 80'.

It was really fun racing against the big hp drag cars with DOT drag tires doing their huge burnouts. They had no chance against the lowly fieros and their normal street tires. They must really hate when the fiero boys show up.

My GTR will be in the same class as my V-8 car was in this year. I will destroy C class with it next year.
whipped

Post by whipped »

what vin is your motor?

Supposedly, the 2000+ motors, due to their roller cam followers and less valvetrain inertia, can actually rev higher than their redline with no changes. You don't have hydraulic lifters, so grenading one in a no-follow condition isn't a concern for you, just valve float.

AJxtcman changed the rev limiter on a stock 2003 caddy to something like 7000 or 7200 rpm and it has survived. YMMV, etc, but you can pick up a spring to test the spring rate for about $10...... Spare valve for about the same. Some quick math will get you close to a maximum RPM before float.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

What're you running for tires? You might be able to get away with a larger tire just for this event to get you another 10 feet or so.

Bryce
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

It's the good N*. Vin 9? Whatever the 300hp one is.

I had it set down to 6200rpm I believe. Never had a reason to set it higher until now. I remember saying that I wished I brought my laptop...

A set of taller tires for the event would be a benefit but I don't think I'll do another 100' shootout. You get 1 run and then 2 hours of waiting around... Got 3 or 4 runs in but it took aaaallll dddaaayyyyyy
whipped

Post by whipped »

6700 redline is stock.

I think you'd be fine with a 7000 redline, shifting at 6800 or whatever.

If you had a higher redline you'd probably shave a lot of time off your 1/4. Longer you hold a gear the faster you'll be.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

It was a fun day, but a long wait for such a short drag.

I got 1st in my class, A class for the 4 cylinder cars, but I was alone in the class, posted a 3.19 at 34.4MPH. That was at par with a stock 88GT with a V6 5-speed. My dad did well with his 2.0L turbo, he did a 3.08 at 36MPH, which beat all of the V6 fieros there, he got 2nd, lost to a GXP solstice with the turbo by 0.01 seconds. Something to note, is that both me and my dad posted trap speeds of at least 2MPH faster than the stock V6 Fiero's. But, I figure it isnt too bad since I get 40MPG on the highway doing 120KM/h.

I hit my fuel cutoff at 7200RPM right before the 100' mark in 1st. I have a 92 Getrag with the 3.92FDR though.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You also have 160ish ftlbs... double that torque and you'll hit redline twice as fast... that's driving a Northstar... :thumbleft:

Q4's run like scalded dawgs, though.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Heres my pics:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?a ... =760080050

Got vids too, but not uploaded yet.